ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Lavalier Type & Polar Pattern for Gain-Before-Feedback  (Read 7092 times)

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Re: Lavalier Type & Polar Pattern for Gain-Before-Feedback
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2013, 03:13:19 PM »

In my thread "Ignore the speakers behind the screen" you can see the arrays completely upstage of the people on lavs. Although we didn't use them that way, we had good GBF from the lavs even with the speakers upstage. The speakers upstage are aimed at the audience not the stage. Adding a monitor that is aimed at the mic is not going to help the GBF situation. My answer to people who want a monitor on lavs is NO.

Mac

The following was sent to me in a PM:
As I read his statement he has the speakers on the back wall of the stage? 

How your speakers are setup is not the question.

I disagree. Since Sean's speakers are on the back wall, I think the fact that the lavs on my show worked fine through the speakers on the back wall illustrates that it is entirely possible to make this work.

The type of speaker, how it is aimed, how it is optimized, and the type of microphone are all going to have an impact on the results, but even in this less than ideal situation it should be possible to get acceptable results.

Mac

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2013, 05:06:01 PM »

Along with if he wants to speak with the music in the background than using a monitor to allow him to speak with the music and the emotion, Than the monitor will work.  Along with the fact that the monitor will put his spoken word in time with the music and not behind because the music is being heard from the back wall several feet away. 
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 05:20:49 PM by Jerome Malsack »

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2013, 05:50:37 PM »

Along with if he wants to speak with the music in the background than using a monitor to allow him to speak with the music and the emotion, Than the monitor will work.  Along with the fact that the monitor will put his spoken word in time with the music and not behind because the music is being heard from the back wall several feet away.

Unless this is a large venue, which wouldn't have Bose MA12s, the distance difference between the mains and a monitor is likely not different enough to warrant the loss of GBF and the added complication of the monitor.

I think it is likely that Sean can get enough gain before feedback with the WL184 supercardioid, although it would be worth trying the 185 cardioid as well. If those lavs don't work for him the next option would be head worn mics like Countryman E6s (not my favorite) or DPA d:fine.

Mac

Alec Spence

• Herts, UK
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2013, 03:47:47 AM »

Does it have to be a lav?   A headset mic will give you way more GBF in just about any situation.

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2013, 10:39:22 AM »

I think it is likely that Sean can get enough gain before feedback with the WL184 supercardioid, although it would be worth trying the 185 cardioid as well. If those lavs don't work for him the next option would be head worn mics like Countryman E6s (not my favorite) or DPA d:fine.
Mac

+1

The WL184 is a great GBF tool and sounds really good when used properly.  If its not adequate for the job, it's headset mic time.
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2013, 10:39:22 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 20 queries.