ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34   Go Down

Author Topic: behringer x32 cracking and popping with 2x S16 connected?  (Read 230722 times)

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
Re: behringer x32 cracking and popping with 2x S16 connected?
« Reply #320 on: June 07, 2014, 01:51:59 AM »

I have no dog in this fight but continue to read the thread. Does anyone care that "B" hasn't provided a proven cure for this problem yet. It seems like people are happy to jump onto a bandwagon knowing full well there are problems with these stage boxes that seems to have no cure. Like I said, no dog in the fight, but can someone explain why people continue to buy the stage box expecting problems in the first place?
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #321 on: June 07, 2014, 02:57:58 AM »

I have no dog in this fight but continue to read the thread. Does anyone care that "B" hasn't provided a proven cure for this problem yet. It seems like people are happy to jump onto a bandwagon knowing full well there are problems with these stage boxes that seems to have no cure. Like I said, no dog in the fight, but can someone explain why people continue to buy the stage box expecting problems in the first place?

I've had zero problems with my S16/X32 combo using the ProCo STP product recommended by Joe Sanborn.  Eight months of error-free service.  I don't know if I have a mega-balance at the Karma Bank or I've just been lucky, but no drop outs, no loss of sync sounds.  Ever.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #322 on: June 07, 2014, 08:50:52 AM »

I'm glad that's the case Tim, but with all of the stage box problems I continue to read about I've begun to shake my head in wonders of why.

To me the brand is not relevant I just wondered why people are putting their money into a product with a known, but still unresolved problem. Or perhaps it is resolved and people aren't doing as they have been told. This could be the case as I really don't follow the product closely.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
« Reply #323 on: June 07, 2014, 11:57:32 AM »

My first show with a new digi snake connecting an S16 plus X32r (snake head) to my X32 at foh. 250 foot snake with 3 Cat5e STP (with ethercons) runs plus a 12/3 in it.

I'm not sure if this is an ESD issue or someone stepping on it/physical issue. Had no problems at soundcheck.

http://youtu.be/u3m9D3TUmY0

So its the next night and I'm at a club with the same setup. I'm running house music after doors open and it happens 2-3 more times. I decide to abandon the foh desk and mix off the rack and a tablet. (It is my backup mixer)

I go to load the show and get it running and it won't accept signal from the s16. I had to reboot both before it would work. Any thoughts?

What brand of cable are you using?

Before the Proplex cables became a defacto standard for the X32 systems I recommended them to iLive users that wanted a stranded core cat5e. I'm not an Ethernet tech expert but know that after some testing by Allen & Heath the Proplex and their own very expensive cable which I believe was oem'ed by Neutrik were the only stranded products they approved for lengths beyond the standard 30m for stranded cat5 patch cable. This was not related to shielding, as an unshielded solid core 100m Duracat will work just fine with the iLive system.

I've ordered a sample of stranded Duraflex to try out with the X32/S16, but would want to test any untried product well before putting it to work.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2014, 01:18:53 PM by Mike Pyle »
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #324 on: June 07, 2014, 12:17:33 PM »

I'm glad that's the case Tim, but with all of the stage box problems I continue to read about I've begun to shake my head in wonders of why.

To me the brand is not relevant I just wondered why people are putting their money into a product with a known, but still unresolved problem. Or perhaps it is resolved and people aren't doing as they have been told. This could be the case as I really don't follow the product closely.

I'm not aware of how many S16 have been sold but the X32 in its various forms have supposedly hit 100k units.  If Berry has sold 30k S16, we're hearing remarkably few new complaints.  It will be interesting to see if Mr. Weaver's problem is ESD or something else.  Frankly the "something else" is more worrisome to me than ESD, as I believe the STP/Ethercon is a reasonable answer to what is likely a design issue that can't/won't be corrected until the product cycle turns another 360°.  At any rate, I use the X32 where it's appropriate (it's my personal desk) and take the AVID or Yamaha desks the other 90%+ of the times.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #325 on: June 07, 2014, 01:33:44 PM »

I still say it's a ground issue between a daughter board or separated circuit and the main circuit board. I would have a field day with about 12hrs inside one of those boards. Before I bought my Expression I emailed the B powers that be and asked for a demo. Guess what I got out of that request.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

Dan Mortensen

« Reply #326 on: June 09, 2014, 12:42:31 AM »

So here's something for ya.

My first show with a new digi snake connecting an S16 plus X32r (snake head) to my X32 at foh. 250 foot snake with 3 Cat5e STP (with ethercons) runs plus a 12/3 in it.

I'm not sure if this is an ESD issue or someone stepping on it/physical issue. Had no problems at soundcheck.

http://youtu.be/u3m9D3TUmY0

So its the next night and I'm at a club with the same setup. I'm running house music after doors open and it happens 2-3 more times. I decide to abandon the foh desk and mix off the rack and a tablet. (It is my backup mixer)

I go to load the show and get it running and it won't accept signal from the s16. I had to reboot both before it would work. Any thoughts?

Clumsily tapped out by fat fingers on a tiny keyboard, probably on the move.

Hi Tim,

Sorry to be dense, but is the problem about 18.5 seconds when he sings "she ain't no woman of ****"?

If so, the pause sounds so perfectly timed in the song in repeated listening that it sounds intentional, or at worst a digital clip. (Your meters look awful high during a relatively soft part of the song, but I could be wrong about that. The only time they're visible is at the end when the camera is wandering around It looks like all the yellow is visible plus some lights beyond the top.)

And it sounds like the vocal disappears, maybe, but the rest of the band is audible during the gap?

Is it there or somewhere else?

Dan
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 12:45:47 AM by Dan Mortensen »

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #327 on: June 09, 2014, 11:21:08 AM »

Yes, that is where it is. And it is not intentional. It is also not digital clip.

I run the desk a little bit "hot" but I have good control over my dynamics.

Also it happene the next night playing low-level walk in music.

I just got home and will start investigating this week. I just thought it was interesting that I happen to catch this event on film

Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

John Moore

• "learning the hard way sucks donkey kong"
    • Trinity Productions
« Reply #328 on: June 09, 2014, 12:00:40 PM »

Sounds like a ESD discharge to me....I would not run a data cable with power combined for that length , maybe separate by 12" or more power vs. data and give it a whirl...all our cables are individual
http://www.trinityprosound.com 209-832-8023
DEALER:Dealer for Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, Danley Sound Labs, VTC, Allen & Heath, Ashly, Denon,  Audix, One Systems, Beyerdynamic, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate,  Trusst, Road Ready, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, dB Technologies, RCF, American Audio,  Rapco, CBI Cables, ADJ, Chauvet, Blizzard, Furman, Shure, Tascam, Elite Screens,  BenQ, Midas, Digico,  and many many more...

Dan Mortensen

« Reply #329 on: June 09, 2014, 02:33:31 PM »

Yes, that is where it is. And it is not intentional. It is also not digital clip.

I run the desk a little bit "hot" but I have good control over my dynamics.

Also it happene the next night playing low-level walk in music.

I just got home and will start investigating this week. I just thought it was interesting that I happen to catch this event on film

OK, thanks for that clarification.

Was the entire signal lost or just the vocal? Like I said, it sounded like maybe just the vocal, but I couldn't tell.

Have you checked to see that your Ethercons are actually shorted together by the shield? That's where I'd start.

Please keep us informed.

Thanks,
Dan

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #329 on: June 09, 2014, 02:33:31 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 25 queries.