ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 34   Go Down

Author Topic: behringer x32 cracking and popping with 2x S16 connected?  (Read 230712 times)

Michael Kurczeski

Re: behringer x32 cracking and popping with 2x S16 connected?
« Reply #70 on: May 04, 2013, 05:42:09 PM »

agreed...always should use shielded cable (unless specified for some reason).

Well, I was never informed of this...either way, the board continues to exhibit the same problem. I ordered some shielded cable. Allen Heath, Yamaha and Soundcraft consoles have never given me this problem with the same unsheilded cable and in the same venues, same setup, etc. since I am using unsheilded cable, is it likely that static or being run near ac cables is the culprit?
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 09:54:37 AM by Michael Kurczeski »

Josh Daws

« Reply #71 on: May 04, 2013, 11:03:58 PM »

Well, I was never informed of this...either way, the board continues to exhibit the same problem. I ordered some shielded cable. Allen Heath and Soundcraft consoles have never given me this problem with the same unsheilded cable and in the same venues, same setup, etc. since I am using unsheilded cable, is it likely that static or being run near ac cables is the culprit?

its not really a matter of being informed about it..actually i guess it kinda is. think if of like balanced and unbalanced cables. why use unbalanced cable where balanced can and should be used.

however, if behringer doesn't know then it could be anything. my guess is that it could be the magnetic fields generated by the AC cables, or even the unsheilded cable itself could be any number of reasons. i guess that is the trade off in buying a behringer product. Im not saying you purchased wrong (or right), or you purchased a $3k boat anchor. its just that while yes behringer took steps into place to ensure the quality of their products and do take it seriously. but you can only "cut so many corners". and this goes for any other brand. take a look at the new soundcraft expression compact Si!...certainly some tradeoffs there...lol

its the age old saying...you get what you pay for...but don't worry im sure there will be a fix somehow for it...
« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 11:07:42 PM by Josh Daws »

Darren Scaresbrook

• Adelaide, South Australia
    • Concert Systems Australia
« Reply #72 on: May 09, 2013, 07:12:23 AM »

Hey Bob
I am sending the boards to behringer after the weekend. I haven't used the S16 since I've had the issue and don't plan to unless the problem is identified and a fix is in place.

Hi Michael,

Just wondering if you have heard anything yet? Has the issue been resolved?

Darren

Joe Sanborn

« Reply #73 on: May 09, 2013, 06:46:25 PM »

Dear Guys,

As I indicated in my last post, the correct cable is important.

I posted Jan Duwe's comments on the correct AES50 cable. 
He has indicated that the cable should be Shielded CAT-5e. 

The AES50 on the X32 is technology coming directly over from MIDAS and KLARK TEKNIK.  I have spoken to the people at MIDAS and they only advise the use of Shielded CAT-5e.  MIDAS actually offers a Belden cable with a cable reel.

I suggest avoiding inexpensive PVC jacketed cables that can be easily crimped, pinched or crushed easily.  You should also use a cable reel to properly wind up and store your AES50 cable.

We do not recommend CAT-6 or anything other than shielded CAT-5e.  While some CAT-6 cables will work, others can be wired differently and may not work. 

I also HIGHLY recommend a cable with Ethercon ends.

So once again Shielded CAT-5e is what you want to use as you connection between X32 and S16, (and S-16 to S16).

I have used the ProCo, (Pro Co 300' Shielded Cat 5e Ethercon Cable).  It has a robust casing, Ethercon ends and is Shielded CAT-5e.

The official MIDAS cable is also a great cable.  You can call our Vegas facility for availability.  702-371-0830

Best Regards,
Joe Sanborn
Manager, Product Support
MUSIC Group
BEHRINGER
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 08:24:00 PM by Joe Sanborn »

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #74 on: May 09, 2013, 10:00:12 PM »

Thanks Joe for the update and confirmation. Could you see that this information is added to the product manuals for both the board and the stage boxes. Thanks.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Tomas Miller

• Lyd Sound
« Reply #75 on: June 22, 2013, 03:41:09 PM »

So once again Shielded CAT-5e is what you want to use as you connection between X32 and S16, (and S-16 to S16).

I have used the ProCo, (Pro Co 300' Shielded Cat 5e Ethercon Cable).  It has a robust casing, Ethercon ends and is Shielded CAT-5e.

The official MIDAS cable is also a great cable.  You can call our Vegas facility for availability.  702-371-0830

Best Regards,
Joe Sanborn
Manager, Product Support
MUSIC Group
BEHRINGER

Thanks for the info Joe but I have some issues with this.  I purchased 300' of durable solid core cat5 with ethercon connectors and stuck it on a reel based upon the only cable information I could find regarding these products.   The following link(http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/S16.aspx) will take you to a page on your website which has product information on the s16 which reads as follows:

"KLARK TEKNIK engineers worked hand-in-hand with BEHRINGER product developers to ensure the S16 meets, or exceeds, the requirements of live performance entertainers and their professional audio engineers. Some of the outstanding features are:

48 bidirectional audio channels over CAT5 cable (48 kHz)
24 bidirectional audio channels over CAT5 cable (96 kHz)"

No information regarding shielding or cat5e, only basic cat5 cable was mentioned.  My cable purchase was made after researching all I could find published by your company, now you're claiming the cable which works with the same AES50 protocol on other systems with zero issues will not work on yours?

I have two S16s and an X32, I've been running sound for a multi billion dollar corporation this week and had to unplug my stage box after the first session due to audio drop out followed by a loud pop which occurred twice.  Are you telling me that this was due to the wrong cable being used?

It very much sounded to me like the stagebox lost connection with the console followed by a pop as the connection was reestablished.

I ran an analogue snake after this issue and have had no issues since.  There was a moment after the session, when the stagebox was still in use, when I swear I heard some jitter which would indicate a clocking issue.  The wrong cable could cause both jitter and drop out which is why I'm so frustrated that the appropriate information has not been published for your company to indicate which cable should be used.  Why a cable that works with zero issues on other systems has problems on yours is beyond me. 

If your company wants to be a professional sound equipment provider then they had better start acting like it.

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #76 on: June 22, 2013, 04:24:22 PM »

If you want to act professional use your full name.

In what universe is this stuff not value products? Use accordingly.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Lee Buckalew

• Classic LAB
  • St. Louis, MO area
    • Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
« Reply #77 on: June 22, 2013, 04:26:55 PM »

Dear Guys,

As I indicated in my last post, the correct cable is important.

I posted Jan Duwe's comments on the correct AES50 cable. 
He has indicated that the cable should be Shielded CAT-5e. 

The AES50 on the X32 is technology coming directly over from MIDAS and KLARK TEKNIK.  I have spoken to the people at MIDAS and they only advise the use of Shielded CAT-5e.  MIDAS actually offers a Belden cable with a cable reel.

I suggest avoiding inexpensive PVC jacketed cables that can be easily crimped, pinched or crushed easily.  You should also use a cable reel to properly wind up and store your AES50 cable.

We do not recommend CAT-6 or anything other than shielded CAT-5e.  While some CAT-6 cables will work, others can be wired differently and may not work. 

I also HIGHLY recommend a cable with Ethercon ends.

Best Regards,
Joe Sanborn
Manager, Product Support
MUSIC Group
BEHRINGER

Joe,
CAT6 is 100% backwards compatible with CAT5 with the only exception being Neutrik Ethercon connectors for CAT6 not being able to mate to Ethercon CAT5 connections due to the shell size.  There is no wiring difference unless you mean 568A vs. 568B. 
The critical piece here seems to be the need for an STP rather than just a TP cable.

Lee
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

James A. Griffin

« Reply #78 on: June 22, 2013, 06:25:03 PM »

Thanks for the info Joe but I have some issues with this.  I purchased 300' of durable solid core cat5 with ethercon connectors and stuck it on a reel based upon the only cable information I could find regarding these products.   

Yeah, it's a bit inconvenient that the info wasn't available when the units came out of the box, but it's not a deal-killer.  I'm sure future versions of the manual will be more specific about cabling requirements.

Sell your unshielded cable and buy the proper ones.   Get to enjoying the X32 and S16's and you'll wonder why you wasted so much time whining about it.   It really is a great package.
I need to determine where in this swamp of unbalanced formulas squatteth the Toad of Truth

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #79 on: June 22, 2013, 07:07:55 PM »

Thanks Joe for the update and confirmation. Could you see that this information is added to the product manuals for both the board and the stage boxes. Thanks.

I think I had said that before. Not a question for me anymore, and that's because I went with a Soundcraft board. I'm done here.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #79 on: June 22, 2013, 07:07:55 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 34   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 25 queries.