ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34   Go Down

Author Topic: behringer x32 cracking and popping with 2x S16 connected?  (Read 230670 times)

jasonfinnigan

Re: behringer x32 cracking and popping with 2x S16 connected?
« Reply #310 on: April 17, 2014, 10:02:59 PM »

Sigh.  After 14 months of zero issues with my CBI cable + X32... its starting to pop. 

Specifically using, http://www.cbicables.com/products/ultimate_cat_e.aspx with no complaints. 

Def the cable... I can induce it by giving it kinda a giggle/wiggle when its laying flat.

I remember watching an AES forum meeting on this. That the shielded cables for the most part performed worse in their tests, that people walking on it, jumping on etc would cause drop outs. They only had one cable pass, don't remember which but it was a UTP.

http://www.aes.org/sections/pnw/pnwrecaps/2013/jun_cat5/

Dan Mortensen

« Reply #311 on: April 18, 2014, 03:31:50 AM »

Are you re-crimping them or will the Ethercon just fit over the RJ45 once the boot/strain relief is removed? seems like this is the most cost effective way.

Ethercon fits over RJ45's nicely. There are some fiddly little pieces in there that need to be set correctly, but it's simple. Google Ethercon assembly instructions and you'll figure it out.

Dan Mortensen

« Reply #312 on: April 18, 2014, 03:38:33 AM »

I remember watching an AES forum meeting on this. That the shielded cables for the most part performed worse in their tests, that people walking on it, jumping on etc would cause drop outs. They only had one cable pass, don't remember which but it was a UTP.

http://www.aes.org/sections/pnw/pnwrecaps/2013/jun_cat5/

I watched that, too  ;), and what you described isn't quite what happened. We didn't really differentiate between shielded and unshielded, and we could make all of them drop out except one which happened to be UTP. We weren't testing at all for ESD, which turns out to be the reason you have to use STP with Ethercons.

That UTP one had a monster internal longitudinal separator which kept the pairs from rubbing up against each other and kept them in the exact same orientation relative to each other. It was way thicker than the others, which made it more difficult to jam it physically using our hands. I have no doubt that an STP with a similar internal separator and a rugged jacket (along with multiple cable runs inside an overall jacket) would be the ultimate cable for us, but such a thing doesn't seem to exist.

Lalo Williams

« Reply #313 on: June 03, 2014, 05:57:58 PM »

Good evening everyone

Recently, at our School of Music, we aquired a X32 with 2xS16, and right after that, came to notice this thread where you guys discuss extensively the issue with the cabling.

Just wanna make sure what you think of the cable we´re getting for our setup...:

http://www.neutrik.com/en/ethercon/ethercon-cat6-cable/

Getting it in lenght of 100ft x 3, and 30ft x 2 (we will rarely be using more than 300ft at a time, but just in case), with the posibility of joining them by this:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/888361-REG/Neutrik_ne8ff_ADAPTER_EHTERCON_CAT5.html

According to everything I´ve read here, these should work fine... right?

thanks in advance for your help.

cheers.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #314 on: June 03, 2014, 06:56:40 PM »

Good evening everyone

Recently, at our School of Music, we aquired a X32 with 2xS16, and right after that, came to notice this thread where you guys discuss extensively the issue with the cabling.

Just wanna make sure what you think of the cable we´re getting for our setup...:

http://www.neutrik.com/en/ethercon/ethercon-cat6-cable/

Getting it in lenght of 100ft x 3, and 30ft x 2 (we will rarely be using more than 300ft at a time, but just in case), with the posibility of joining them by this:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/888361-REG/Neutrik_ne8ff_ADAPTER_EHTERCON_CAT5.html

According to everything I´ve read here, these should work fine... right?

thanks in advance for your help.

cheers.

The successful use of multiple couplers has not been documented.  As a school of music, how often do you need a 300' snake?  If you really need one, then using couplers introduces additional points of failure when you really need all 300'.  I personally purchased 150' and 250' to use with my S16/X32.

As to the suitability of the Neutrik cable product, you'll have to ask Behringer.  My best guess is that it will work - it has the required shielding with termination to the Ethercon shell.  Note that the same type of cable will be needed to connect the two S16 together should you use only AES50"A" or AES50"B" to connect to the console.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #315 on: June 03, 2014, 08:14:41 PM »

Dear Loudmusic,

What is hard to understand about
a) not wanting to spend that much or more on a new lot of cable?
b) there being an extremely limited selection of STP available, and that there is not one that exists that precisely meets my needs the way the UTP does (ease of handling, tri- or quad-Ethernet runs in one cable, heavy jacket, etc.)?
c) a correlary of b): I have some Proplex, and I don't like it. The quad is the worst handling cable I've ever had the displeasure of dealing with, and the single's jacket is nasty feeling. It does work, though.

Dan

I use Proplex UTP with my GLD. At first it was both stiff and nasty jacket. After a few dozen uses it has loosened up and the jacket feels fine now. I would buy more.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Lalo Williams

« Reply #316 on: June 03, 2014, 11:07:59 PM »

The successful use of multiple couplers has not been documented.  As a school of music, how often do you need a 300' snake?  If you really need one, then using couplers introduces additional points of failure when you really need all 300'.  I personally purchased 150' and 250' to use with my S16/X32.

As to the suitability of the Neutrik cable product, you'll have to ask Behringer.  My best guess is that it will work - it has the required shielding with termination to the Ethercon shell.  Note that the same type of cable will be needed to connect the two S16 together should you use only AES50"A" or AES50"B" to connect to the console.

Hi Tim

Regarding the Neutrik cable, I too think it will work, as it has the tested features. As for the lenght... to be honest, I too don't think we'll be ever using 100mts of cable length... but thought it would be best to get it all together, so now we'll have spares, he.

And maybe I can document the success or failure in using the couplers...

thanks for your answer.

John Moore

• "learning the hard way sucks donkey kong"
    • Trinity Productions
« Reply #317 on: June 04, 2014, 12:59:23 AM »

We have used the couplers to connect 100 and 150 section of Duracat to the x32/S16's, no issues.
http://www.trinityprosound.com 209-832-8023
DEALER:Dealer for Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, Danley Sound Labs, VTC, Allen & Heath, Ashly, Denon,  Audix, One Systems, Beyerdynamic, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate,  Trusst, Road Ready, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, dB Technologies, RCF, American Audio,  Rapco, CBI Cables, ADJ, Chauvet, Blizzard, Furman, Shure, Tascam, Elite Screens,  BenQ, Midas, Digico,  and many many more...

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
« Reply #318 on: June 04, 2014, 11:37:24 AM »

We have used the couplers to connect 100 and 150 section of Duracat to the x32/S16's, no issues.

Yet according to all the research done the unshielded Duracat would not be a reliable cable to choose for the X32 system.
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #319 on: June 07, 2014, 01:22:40 AM »

So here's something for ya.

My first show with a new digi snake connecting an S16 plus X32r (snake head) to my X32 at foh. 250 foot snake with 3 Cat5e STP (with ethercons) runs plus a 12/3 in it.

I'm not sure if this is an ESD issue or someone stepping on it/physical issue. Had no problems at soundcheck.

http://youtu.be/u3m9D3TUmY0

So its the next night and I'm at a club with the same setup. I'm running house music after doors open and it happens 2-3 more times. I decide to abandon the foh desk and mix off the rack and a tablet. (It is my backup mixer)

I go to load the show and get it running and it won't accept signal from the s16. I had to reboot both before it would work. Any thoughts?

Clumsily tapped out by fat fingers on a tiny keyboard, probably on the move.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #319 on: June 07, 2014, 01:22:40 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 24 queries.