ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 34   Go Down

Author Topic: behringer x32 cracking and popping with 2x S16 connected?  (Read 230658 times)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: behringer x32 cracking and popping with 2x S16 connected?
« Reply #300 on: March 30, 2014, 09:24:00 PM »

I don't know why so many people bitch and complain about the x32 and Behringer like its a bad word. Behringer like everyone else has made a few mistakes but to act like everyone else is perfect is a joke. I would use my x32 in a billion dollar company event. I would also never call my x32 a toy. That makes me laugh. What the hell are you using that's not a toy? An x32 can easily do almost everything your "professional" board can do. Don't like the x32? Don't cry about it, just move on. That's just more x32's for us. Never had yours presonus, yamaha, or soundcraft give you issues? I call bs. A professional sound engineer can make almost anything work.

No, we're dealing with a very specific, repeatable and confirmed by Behringer issue.  On the firmware side there are discussions about mute group behavior, post-fader direct outputs (or lack of) and some other things.

I have a multi-thousand $ corporate gig for which the basic functionality of the X32 & accessories would fit well, but until I'm sure it's ready for prime time, I'll be using a different desk for that gig.  That's just the commercial reality of the market I work in.

I haven't seen anyone in this thread call the X32 a toy, and there has been surprisingly little X32 bashing here at PSW or over at SFN, where the X32 Discussion thread has >9,250 replies and >1,100,000 views.  Lots of initial skepticism, some "that's too good to be true", and some real problems that came with launching a new product that were dealt with.  I'm not sure why you think anyone is calling the X32 a toy.

There are some clear distinctions between the X32 and mixers that cost 10X or more.  The X32's price point significantly closed the gap between them, though.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Matt Tilson

« Reply #301 on: April 01, 2014, 12:46:57 PM »

Also, I think the jury is still out on what happens when a console and S16 are in a situation where there is a significant ground potential difference between the AC sources powering each, and they are then connected with STP.

Has anyone been able to look into this?

Matt Tilson

« Reply #302 on: April 03, 2014, 03:35:26 AM »

Also, can anyone tell me if the ADAT outs from the S16 are interrupted?

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #303 on: April 03, 2014, 11:23:16 AM »

Also, can anyone tell me if the ADAT outs from the S16 are interrupted?

Yes, as the units mute while it re-syncs.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Matt Tilson

« Reply #304 on: April 07, 2014, 07:48:46 AM »

Yes, as the units mute while it re-syncs.

Ah, well. Thanks for the info.

jasonfinnigan

« Reply #305 on: April 17, 2014, 02:39:28 PM »

Possibly a stupid question but here goes. We've been using all STP with Ethercon from stage to FOH and no problems so far. the two S16s are in a rack together and just a standard cat5e patch cable between the two. My question is STP with ethercons needed like that? I assume since they are both racked together it is not needed. In other words the Rack rails and the units being on top of the other would ground it just like (or better than) the Shield and the Ethercon would, is that correct? or do I need STP there as well. If so it it possible to buy a pre-made 1 feet STP cat5 with ethercons. I know I can make it but I don't really want to buy way more than I need. Haven't had problems yet..

Corey Scogin

• Birmingham, AL, US
« Reply #306 on: April 17, 2014, 03:09:24 PM »

Possibly a stupid question but here goes. We've been using all STP with Ethercon from stage to FOH and no problems so far. the two S16s are in a rack together and just a standard cat5e patch cable between the two. My question is STP with ethercons needed like that? I assume since they are both racked together it is not needed. In other words the Rack rails and the units being on top of the other would ground it just like (or better than) the Shield and the Ethercon would, is that correct? or do I need STP there as well. If so it it possible to buy a pre-made 1 feet STP cat5 with ethercons. I know I can make it but I don't really want to buy way more than I need. Haven't had problems yet..

I think I tested that scenario with a spark generator and the unit connected with the UTP jumper dropped out.  I know that I was able to make one unit in the same rack drop out when just the other was connected via Ethercon/STP.  I just don't know whether one was jumpered to the other or whether they were each connected directly to the X32.

I'd recommend using Ethercons/STP on both connections.

Dan Mortensen

« Reply #307 on: April 17, 2014, 09:23:35 PM »

I think I tested that scenario with a spark generator and the unit connected with the UTP jumper dropped out.  I know that I was able to make one unit in the same rack drop out when just the other was connected via Ethercon/STP.  I just don't know whether one was jumpered to the other or whether they were each connected directly to the X32.

I'd recommend using Ethercons/STP on both connections.

This seems likely to me, too.

I've been making short STP/Ethercon jumpers with Monoprice molded STP cables, and clipping off the molded stuff (usually comes off easy) and adding Ethercons. It's super easy, cheap, and seems to work just fine. Zapping the devices results in no dropouts, anyway.

jasonfinnigan

« Reply #308 on: April 17, 2014, 09:31:43 PM »

This seems likely to me, too.

I've been making short STP/Ethercon jumpers with Monoprice molded STP cables, and clipping off the molded stuff (usually comes off easy) and adding Ethercons. It's super easy, cheap, and seems to work just fine. Zapping the devices results in no dropouts, anyway.

Are you re-crimping them or will the Ethercon just fit over the RJ45 once the boot/strain relief is removed? seems like this is the most cost effective way.

Dave Bednarski

« Reply #309 on: April 17, 2014, 09:55:44 PM »

Sigh.  After 14 months of zero issues with my CBI cable + X32... its starting to pop. 

Specifically using, http://www.cbicables.com/products/ultimate_cat_e.aspx with no complaints until now. 

Def the cable... I can induce it by giving it kinda a giggle/wiggle when its laying flat.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 10:23:25 PM by Dave Bednarski »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #309 on: April 17, 2014, 09:55:44 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 34   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 22 queries.