ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 34   Go Down

Author Topic: behringer x32 cracking and popping with 2x S16 connected?  (Read 231786 times)

Don Ernst

• Ernst Audio Services, Inc
Re: behringer x32 cracking and popping with 2x S16 connected?
« Reply #250 on: January 30, 2014, 10:20:51 PM »

I have an idea that may save someone some money if this can be tested to work.  What if you just run a ground wire along with the UTP and connected the X32 and S16 chassis together?  It may work to save some money on an installed system.
Don Ernst
Louisville, Ky.

Chris Clark

• Jack of many trades, Master of few.
« Reply #251 on: January 30, 2014, 10:52:40 PM »

My bad, apologies for jumping to conclusions.

Don, that is an interesting theory. Obviously you'd lose the true benefit of shielding as the STP was designed for, but if all it is doing in this case is locking together the potential from chassis to chassis it might work. I'm hoping Jason's mention of having UTP under the slab means it is in a conduit (otherwise replacing it with STP for him would be even harder!), but even if so you'd still have to fish the ground wire through the conduit without damaging the existing UTP... Depends on the size of the conduit on how hard that would be. By the time you do that it might almost be better to bite the bullet for the STP rather than fish through the conduit multiple times.

Perhaps someone who has done the test setups already with the modified lighter could test UTP with a separate ground wire tied to the ethercon shells and see whether it would be an effective band-aid style retrofit for those installations where UTP was already used?
Technical Services Coordinator
Entertainment System Designer
Darien Lake Theme Park, Darien Center NY

Corey Scogin

• Birmingham, AL, US
« Reply #252 on: January 31, 2014, 12:35:51 AM »

I have an idea that may save someone some money if this can be tested to work.  What if you just run a ground wire along with the UTP and connected the X32 and S16 chassis together?  It may work to save some money on an installed system.

Grounding the chassis of the X32 with the S16 does not alleviate the ESD dropout issue.

Perhaps someone who has done the test setups already with the modified lighter could test UTP with a separate ground wire tied to the ethercon shells and see whether it would be an effective band-aid style retrofit for those installations where UTP was already used?

I have not tried grounding the Ethercons directly.  That may have different results.  Might be worth a try as a temporary solution.

Chris Clark

• Jack of many trades, Master of few.
« Reply #253 on: January 31, 2014, 02:06:09 AM »

I do remember seeing that video now that you mention it, and would guess that the ethercon shells might ground to something relating to the AES50 chips themselves, perhaps, instead of the chassis? (Having never opened up the X32 for myself, I don't know for sure) In theory there has to be some connection there for the shielding to have an effect on the static discharge dropout... I may need to find someone to study this phenomenon, we could publish a scientific finding and become rich...
Technical Services Coordinator
Entertainment System Designer
Darien Lake Theme Park, Darien Center NY

Dan Mortensen

« Reply #254 on: January 31, 2014, 03:49:01 AM »

Good idea, that is a permutation that hasn't been reported.

Until now.

I just tried it, and no such luck. No difference.

Used a 25' or so length of solid #14, 250' CAT5e. Shells had continuity between them with the addition of the #14, but no change in disruption. (Also believe they had continuity before, through the ground pins on the AC for S16 and console.)

Too bad, thanks for suggesting it. (JR suggested tying the consoles together with a separate ground long ago, but the wrapping around the shell part was the nuance that's different. I'm still getting used to the idea that I now have a modified BBQ lighter and can do these tests anytime.)

Jason Lucas

• Hillsboro, OR, USA
« Reply #255 on: January 31, 2014, 02:54:39 PM »

Would adding an ethercon connector to a shielded cable (as shown in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02dksd-eTzg) be enough to prevent drop outs? Or will I not have continuity?
There are three things I hate: Harsh highs, hollow mids, and woofy bass.

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #256 on: January 31, 2014, 03:00:30 PM »

Sometimes there are simple answers to complex problems, but rarely one that has been this closely inspected for this long.

it's always something.

JR

Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Mike Maly

« Reply #257 on: January 31, 2014, 03:06:52 PM »

Sometimes there are simple answers to complex problems, but rarely one that has been this closely inspected for this long.

it's always something.

JR

+100

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-Maly Sound:
Hear the difference

Dan Mortensen

« Reply #258 on: January 31, 2014, 03:59:10 PM »

Would adding an ethercon connector to a shielded cable (as shown in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02dksd-eTzg) be enough to prevent drop outs? Or will I not have continuity?

Didn't want to watch the MINUTE AND A HALF commercial to see the content, but yes, adding an Ethercon to a shielded cable with a metal RJ45 works just fine. I did it with a Monoprice CAT6, and sparks were irrelevant to it. I think Brian Wynn's initial run of videos showed that, too.

Dan Mortensen

« Reply #259 on: January 31, 2014, 04:01:26 PM »

it's always something.

JR

So what does it tell you that it's no help to add an additional ground wire between console and stage box? I thought that would indicate where the problem might be.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #259 on: January 31, 2014, 04:01:26 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 34   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 24 queries.