ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 34   Go Down

Author Topic: behringer x32 cracking and popping with 2x S16 connected?  (Read 230726 times)

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
Re: behringer x32 cracking and popping with 2x S16 connected?
« Reply #210 on: January 02, 2014, 12:06:23 AM »

I've read through this entire post and others.  I have yet to see a definitive answer on whether to use SHIELDED or UNshielded cat5e cable for use with the X32 system (or any other system).

I am currently using an X32 with a single S16.  I'd like to use an additional S16 in the near future.

I've used this system on about 12-15 events recently with same gear setup each time, several different venues.  During setup at the last event, we all heard a loud pop.  We couldn't figure out where it came from.  After playing a half an hours worth of pre-show iPod music, the band went on and during the first song, all sound dropped out without warning.

It was the snake (cat5e cable).  We quickly ran an analog snake and were back on.

I always run the cat5e with an XLR mic cable for DMX control of the lighting.  Every once in a while, I also run an AC cable with them.

The cat5e i have been using is 250' and it does NOT have neutrik or locking ends, just the standard RJ45.  It is UTP.

This was the first time I'd heard the noise/pop and had any issues with this system.

Is this an issue with the cable?  If so, do I need UTP or STP?  Neutrik locking?

If so, best place you recommend for the cable with ends terminated at 250'?

Thank you!

Having followed this issue for a while, the answer is STP with ethercon connectors is the ONLY way to make a reliable connection. Here it is from one of the Behringer reps:

Dear Guys,

As indicated back in May, use the following cable:
1 - CAT-5e Shielded Cables ONLY 
2 - Ethercon terminated cable ends
3 - Maximum AES50 cable length 100 meters (300')

I have used the ProCo, (Pro Co 300' Shielded Cat 5e Ethercon Cable).  It has a robust casing, Ethercon ends and is Shielded CAT-5e.  In the US Sweetwater carries this cable in-stock, (http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/EtherShld200), you can select many different lengths up to 300'.

Best Regards,
Joe Sanborn
Manager, Product Support
MUSIC Group
BEHRINGER

Sent from my Nexus 4 running OmniROM 4.4 KitKat using Tapatalk Pro

Randall Cook

• CRYSTAL HEAR
« Reply #211 on: January 02, 2014, 12:45:08 AM »

Having followed this issue for a while, the answer is STP with ethercon connectors is the ONLY way to make a reliable connection. Here it is from one of the Behringer reps:

Sent from my Nexus 4 running OmniROM 4.4 KitKat using Tapatalk Pro

Thank you for the reply Tommy!

Lasse Paasikko

« Reply #212 on: January 19, 2014, 11:30:06 AM »

Quote:
"Dear Guys,

As indicated back in May, use the following cable:
1 - CAT-5e Shielded Cables ONLY 
2 - Ethercon terminated cable ends
3 - Maximum AES50 cable length 100 meters (300')

I have used the ProCo, (Pro Co 300' Shielded Cat 5e Ethercon Cable).  It has a robust casing, Ethercon ends and is Shielded CAT-5e.  In the US Sweetwater carries this cable in-stock, (http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/EtherShld200), you can select many different lengths up to 300'."

Any recommendations for this kind of cable found in Europe?

Lasse
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 11:32:38 AM by Lasse Paasikko »

John Ng

« Reply #213 on: January 20, 2014, 04:54:58 AM »

Hi all,
I am trying make my own ethercon cables by re-terminating our cables because we already have shielded cat5e permanently installed. I was wondering if anyone knows if the metal outer shell of the ethercon connector is connected to the shielding of the cat5 cable? I am trying to understand how the ethercon connector helps compared to bare RJ45. If the shielding were connected to the metal shell, that would mean the X32/S16 were connected/grounded together, which makes sense. If not though, exactly what benefit is the shell adding? Does the extra shielding from EMI that the metal shell provide matter that much? Could I get away with wrapping tin foil around the AES50 ports?

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Posting Rules
« Reply #214 on: January 20, 2014, 07:24:31 AM »

Hi all,
I am trying make my own

Please go to your profile and change the "Name" field to your real first and last name as required by the posting rules displayed in the header at the top of the section, and in the Site Rules and Suggestions in the Forum Announcements section, and on the registration page when you registered.

Mac

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #215 on: January 20, 2014, 04:39:53 PM »

Hi all,
I am trying make my own ethercon cables by re-terminating our cables because we already have shielded cat5e permanently installed. I was wondering if anyone knows if the metal outer shell of the ethercon connector is connected to the shielding of the cat5 cable? I am trying to understand how the ethercon connector helps compared to bare RJ45. If the shielding were connected to the metal shell, that would mean the X32/S16 were connected/grounded together, which makes sense. If not though, exactly what benefit is the shell adding? Does the extra shielding from EMI that the metal shell provide matter that much? Could I get away with wrapping tin foil around the AES50 ports?

One advantage of the Ethercon shell is to physically protect the RJ45 connector from damage, particularly during packing and transport. 

I just went and measured continuity on a couple of Ethercon cables and found this:

ProPlex 100': Shell to shell mesures 1-2 Ohms
(Edit) Rapco Duracat (6e) 150': Shell to shell is open (not connected)

Interesting....
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 11:05:53 PM by Mark McFarlane »
Mark McFarlane

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #216 on: January 20, 2014, 05:20:54 PM »

Hi all,
You need to ask behringer customer support to get a definitive answer. We are mostly guessing. Hopefully they understand the mechanism and can give you a good answer.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Corey Scogin

• Birmingham, AL, US
« Reply #217 on: January 20, 2014, 05:26:31 PM »

Hi all,

John, The cable shield is connected to the metal Ethercon shell by way of the metal on the outside of the shielded RJ45 connector.  A few folks further back in the thread performed static discharge tests with various configurations of shielded and unshielded cable with Ethercons and without.  It was determined that the Ethercon connector helps keep the system from dropping out when subjected to a static discharge.  The reason for this is unclear but the results from testing are quite conclusive.

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #218 on: January 20, 2014, 06:25:57 PM »

@Corey I didn't ask the question... I stand by my advice but the OP is free to listen to anybody.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Corey Scogin

• Birmingham, AL, US
« Reply #219 on: January 20, 2014, 06:42:35 PM »

@Corey I didn't ask the question... I stand by my advice but the OP is free to listen to anybody.

JR

JR,
John Ng is the person who asked the question I quoted.  I've been around here long enough to know better than to disagree with you. Since John Ng was new to the forum, I thought a summary of this endless thread may be helpful as it related to his question.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #219 on: January 20, 2014, 06:42:35 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 34   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 24 queries.