ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Labhorn flare tweek?  (Read 4142 times)

John Diego

Labhorn flare tweek?
« on: June 17, 2013, 03:49:38 PM »

I am very new to this forum and after much research on a pa system to build, I decided on 4 BFM omnitop 12's and 4 labhorns. I had a thought on changing the flare on the Labs to a one piece so the drivers will be at slight angle to each other rather than straight on. I will make the inner chamber a much easier build. I hope you guys have some opinions on it and will it even work?

Thanks for the time,

John

John Diego

Re: Labhorn flare tweek?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013, 04:18:19 PM »

I am very new to this forum and after much research on a pa system to build, I decided on 4 BFM omnitop 12's and 4 labhorns. I had a thought on changing the flare on the Labs to a one piece so the drivers will be at slight angle to each other rather than straight on. I will make the inner chamber a much easier build. I hope you guys have some opinions on it and will it even work?

Thanks for the time,

John

I tried to post a drawing of what I am talking about but couldn't. It will basically make the chamber a "V" shape instead of straight angle and then flare. Any opinions will be greatly appreciated.

John

Kristopher Cox

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013, 04:47:19 PM »

From what I have read on earlier posts, the flares are already expanding a little too soon in the horn throat.  Setting the subs at angle from the back wall of the speaker baffle would compound this problem - as well as decreasing the baffle size that is already too small.  The original horn was spec'd w/ 25 liters of baffle volume - the actual turns out to be 21.5.  I have just completed the throat build - I can't see how a 1 piece flare would make this any easier to build.
Thinking in 3D puts a different perspective on things.

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2013, 05:15:45 PM »

I had a thought on changing the flare on the Labs to a one piece so the drivers will be at slight angle to each other rather than straight on. I will make the inner chamber a much easier build.
John,

What you propose could be done, won't change the horn design, and actually could slightly increase the compression chamber size, which could be a slight benefit.

The baffle board and first flare portion being made as one piece will require two different angles on the left side (as in the picture below) which may be more difficult to achieve than two separate pieces.
If I were planning on building a FLH the size of the Labhorn  I'd probably do as you are suggesting, and fix my errors with some caulk.

That said, the LabHorn is too big and deep and not as loud per cubic foot of space as I'd like for my use, so I wouldn't be planning on building them  ;).

Art

John Diego

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2013, 06:15:04 PM »

John,

What you propose could be done, won't change the horn design, and actually could slightly increase the compression chamber size, which could be a slight benefit.

The baffle board and first flare portion being made as one piece will require two different angles on the left side (as in the picture below) which may be more difficult to achieve than two separate pieces.
If I were planning on building a FLH the size of the Labhorn  I'd probably do as you are suggesting, and fix my errors with some caulk.

That said, the LabHorn is too big and deep and not as loud per cubic foot of space as I'd like for my use, so I wouldn't be planning on building them  ;).

Art

Thanks for both of the replies. I hope I hear some more opinions. It just seems like it would work quite well. The dive of the chamber seems to be a problem...has anyone made the hole thing slightly wider to increase this in size?

John

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2013, 07:13:17 PM »

The dive of the chamber seems to be a problem...has anyone made the hole thing slightly wider to increase this in size?

John
What problem do you see with the "dive of the chamber"?
What is the  "dive of the chamber"?
The only "hole thing" I see is a speaker cut out.

If you mean make the compression chamber/ initial throat area wider to increase the compression chamber volume, a small increase (3/4 inch) to the left in the picture I posted would be possible without negatively  affecting performance.

Although there have been numerous small changes made to the design by a number of individuals, there have been no side by side tests to determine if any perform any better or worse.

If you want to make changes, try to model them in Hornresp or Akabak to see what they will do.
These inputs should get you fairly close to the Labhorn design, the rest of the inputs required come from the TS parameters of the speaker you use, and the rear chamber volume.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 07:42:58 PM by Art Welter »

John Diego

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2013, 07:53:15 PM »

What problem do you see with the "dive of the chamber"?
What is the  "dive of the chamber"?
The only "hole thing" I see is a speaker cut out.

If you mean make the compression chamber/ initial throat area wider to increase the compression chamber volume, a small increase (3/4 inch) to the left in the picture I posted would be possible without negatively  affecting performance.

Although there have been numerous small changes made to the design by a number of individuals, there have been no side by side tests to determine if any perform any better or worse.

If you want to make changes, try to model them in Hornresp or Akabak to see what they will do.
These inputs should get you fairly close to the Labhorn design, the rest of the inputs required come from the TS parameters of the speaker you use, and the rear chamber volume.

Sorry, that was auto correct. It was supposed to say size of chamber. I'm going to build with the v shaped inner chamber. I think it will work well and be an easier build. I want more opinions or has anyone done this before.

Thanks for replies,

John
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 08:57:47 PM by Mac Kerr »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2013, 07:53:15 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 25 queries.