ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Small, light powered monitors  (Read 27435 times)

Mark McFarlane

Re: Small, light powered monitors
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2013, 11:16:29 PM »

"I've always grouped Alto in the same pool as Sampson, Behringer, Phonic, etc."

So did I until I actually heard them.  And, just as a reference point, my main monitor setup is  SRX 712M's powered by PLX 3402's

Chuck, from your previous post it sounds like you haven't heard the Alto SXM112A's, correct?
Mark McFarlane

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2013, 11:19:09 PM »

Chuck, from your previous post it sounds like you haven't heard the Alto SXM112A's, correct?

Right.  My opinions are based on my experience with the Alto TS 112A's.

Evan Hunter

« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2013, 02:52:54 AM »

I went on the same search a while back, and chose the DB Trchnologies DVX-DM28 - it's a 750w powered dual 8" with a 1.75" on top, placed between the two 8's. it sounds similar to a coax, is about the same size as a SRX712, and we liked them so much I replaced all 16 of my 712's with 'em.

The cost about the same as a new 712 at the time, but they're powered. Singers and horn players love them, they're about as stable as a coax, and vocals cut through with ease - little eq is generally needed.

My only 'complaint' is that all of the connections (powercon in/out and XLR in/out) are on one side - I would have preferred a pass-thru on the other side, but only about half the time :-)

No Hijacking intended, Would you say that they get as "loud" as a 712 and can take as much abuse? PM me if youd like to.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 03:03:24 AM by Evan Hunter »
Evan F. Hunter
Cleveland Ohio, Houston Texas
EFHunter4419 (at) G Mail. Com
https://www.facebook.com/FosterSound
EV QRX, JBL SRX, Turbosound Milan, Soundcraft Expression, Soundcraft Vi1

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2013, 09:25:38 AM »

I went on the same search a while back, and chose the DB Trchnologies DVX-DM28 - it's a 750w powered dual 8" with a 1.75" on top, placed between the two 8's. it sounds similar to a coax, is about the same size as a SRX712, and we liked them so much I replaced all 16 of my 712's with 'em.

The cost about the same as a new 712 at the time, but they're powered. Singers and horn players love them, they're about as stable as a coax, and vocals cut through with ease - little eq is generally needed.

My only 'complaint' is that all of the connections (powercon in/out and XLR in/out) are on one side - I would have preferred a pass-thru on the other side, but only about half the time :-)

Just for the record, the HF is 1" exit with a 1.75" diameter diaphragm.

Dave Wightman

« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2013, 11:49:34 PM »

I have 3 Alto SXM112As and while they may not be the prettiest monitor on the market, they certainly exceeded my expectations for the price! I am not a huge fan of the connectors and switches being on the back and the paint does chip pretty easily, but the sound quality and volume is great for $300. I just used them this past Sunday with a rock cover band that was pretty loud on stage (very loud guitar player), but the monitors had no trouble keeping up with the band. Every one of the musicians told me they could hear themselves really well on stage and 1 of them even told me that I was providing him "a singer's wet dream."

Mark, while I'm not sure any of these cases and bags will be a perfect fit, here are the cases and bags Gator recommends for the SXMs:
http://www.gatorcases.com/search/manufacturer

John Moore

• "learning the hard way sucks donkey kong"
    • Trinity Productions
Small, light powered monitors
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2013, 12:27:24 AM »

+1 on the DM28s. Do a great job, we had 6 in our inventory (until stolen) but most muso's could not believe their ears on the output and quality. We also now have the FM12s. Used in a gig last Sunday and all were impressed with these wedges.
http://www.trinityprosound.com 209-832-8023
DEALER:Dealer for Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, Danley Sound Labs, VTC, Allen & Heath, Ashly, Denon,  Audix, One Systems, Beyerdynamic, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate,  Trusst, Road Ready, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, dB Technologies, RCF, American Audio,  Rapco, CBI Cables, ADJ, Chauvet, Blizzard, Furman, Shure, Tascam, Elite Screens,  BenQ, Midas, Digico,  and many many more...

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2013, 04:51:45 AM »

+1 on the DM28s. Do a great job, we had 6 in our inventory (until stolen) but most muso's could not believe their ears on the output and quality. We also now have the FM12s. Used in a gig last Sunday and all were impressed with these wedges.

I don't suppose anyone has heard the D&B DM28s and RCF RCF NX-12SMA or 10SMA side-by-side? 

All three look interesting to me.  I just can't get my head around the Altos, totally unfounded brand bias I suspect, the bad location of the connectors shouldn't be that big a deal.  D&B doesn't seem to post polar plots for the DM28's. RCF does. Not that big a deal but if I can't hear them...  Both RCF models seem to have slightly lower low end extension. Not that big a deal on monitor duty but I occasionally add bass on larger stages and outdoors, and will use these occasionally for center fills and maybe even a small rig (which makes the RCF connectors in a really bad location, the wires come out the top on a pole mounted XXSMA box).

Anyone know the street price on the DM28s?

Anyway, that's where my thought process is today.
Mark McFarlane

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2013, 08:36:22 AM »

I just can't get my head around the Altos, totally unfounded brand bias I suspect,

If it's someone else's money, buy the name brands.  If it's your own money, you owe it to yourself to do as I did:  buy a pair to try.  You'll always need a pair of something to put on sticks for casual speaking gigs or the like and these will be usable as that type of utility speaker.

I was so surprised at how loud and clear these got that I ordered more and replaced a bunch of  much larger and less capable speakers. 

One thing I like about the extra small footprint of a 12" co-axial box is how close you can get them to the performer.  And that does make a difference.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2013, 11:33:19 AM »

If it's someone else's money, buy the name brands.  If it's your own money, you owe it to yourself to do as I did:  buy a pair to try.

Unfortunately I shop basically once a year on vacation, I won't really get to try whatever I buy until the Fall when our music season resumes.  Best I can do is a laptop playback audition, which is helpful, but it cuts down my time to source an alternative since I basically have 3 weeks to travel, buy and ship.

Any chance GC stocks the Alto's? That would at least allow me to audition them in Houston.

I'm still a thinkin...
Mark McFarlane

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2013, 11:46:25 AM »

Unfortunately I shop basically once a year on vacation, I won't really get to try whatever I buy until the Fall when our music season resumes.  Best I can do is a laptop playback audition, which is helpful, but it cuts down my time to source an alternative since I basically have 3 weeks to travel, buy and ship.

Any chance GC stocks the Alto's? That would at least allow me to audition them in Houston.

I'm still a thinkin...

The Alto's are an order item for any store.  Some GC's have the powered tops in stock, but I have not found any that have floor models of the wedges.

Try posting a "wanted to audition: Houston" in the Marketplace and see if any Labsters have them. 

By the way......

I've never heard anyone in the audience comment on the "works" on the back of the wedges be visible.  I can just hear it.

"Martha, have you ever seen anything as ugly as those monitor wedges?  You can see the input panel and a couple of Knobs!!!"

;D
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2013, 11:46:25 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 24 queries.