ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Small, light powered monitors  (Read 27431 times)

Ryan McLeod

Re: Small, light powered monitors
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2013, 10:24:50 PM »

... I also ended up with a db Technologies speaker like Ryan.  I take delivery of them this week from a local dealer who cut me an offer I couldn't refuse so I'll have 6 or 8 of the Flexsys FM12's by midweek.

George, I'd love to hear your thoughts in the Flexsys - I haven't heard the yet.

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2013, 10:50:44 PM »

So you're rating their output and usefulness by how they look?

Have you used them on stage?  I have.  I've had no complaints or comments that they were not loud enough or clear enough.  On the contrary.  They have received very favorable reviews from the musicians which I attribute not just to their sonic clarity and power, but their small footprint and smooth coverage from the 60 degree conical pattern.

But then, I'm happy with wedges that can put out a usable 126dB.  More than that and there's just too much stage wash for my taste.

I have to say, after my experience with the Alto TS112A, I would not rule out the SXM without giving them a listen.  Alto is making some surprisingly good products for the money!

GregBass

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2013, 07:37:21 AM »

I've had a pair of the Alto wedges for over a year.  I find them adequate for all but the loudest bands.  Think, small stage area in a club, super loud drummer 4' from the back of the vocalist's head. Other than that, a fine budget box.  It would be nice if they made a more powerful version in their "Black" series.

George Dougherty

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2013, 10:52:42 AM »

So you're rating their output and usefulness by how they look?

Have you used them on stage?  I have.  I've had no complaints or comments that they were not loud enough or clear enough.  On the contrary.  They have received very favorable reviews from the musicians which I attribute not just to their sonic clarity and power, but their small footprint and smooth coverage from the 60 degree conical pattern.

But then, I'm happy with wedges that can put out a usable 126dB.  More than that and there's just too much stage wash for my taste.

No, I'll admit to a bit of brand bias as well as not being a fan of the connection panel facing the audience and the single angle format.  I've always grouped Alto in the same pool as Sampson, Behringer, Phonic, etc.  Decent at lower volumes, not built for anything other than small stages.  The DIY cabs I'm trading up from have a steep and shallow option that I frequently find handy.  Yes, an AID made out of 2x4 can solve that, but it's always nicer when it's built in.

Your previous comments about them actually set me on a long search to try and source some.  I trust your opinion that they're a good little speaker, sound good, get acceptably loud for most uses and are a terrific value.  I'm somewhat interested in getting a few for my own church, with the exception that I'd much rather be passive there since the stage is prewired for speakon and we've already got 4 channels of amp.  Somebody blew out the HF in 3 of 4 older Mackie coaxial wedges (not just a protective fuse, unfortunately) and we're in desparate need of a new set to replace them.  The price is very appealing though and on paper it appears a decent box, just not up in the same range as the Flexsys or RCF. 

George Dougherty

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2013, 11:27:52 AM »

George, I'd love to hear your thoughts in the Flexsys - I haven't heard the yet.

I'd love to A/B them against the RCF and the little Altos under discussion here.  The only thing I'll have on hand to compare them to are Yamaha DXR10's and 12's, which aren't bad speakers and are close to the same price range, but it's a small sampling.

My only reservation about the Flexsys so far is the parallel XLR/TRS link rather than the XLR/XLR/TRS often found on other boxes.  I'd much rather see a TRS input with XLR i/o as well for daisy chaining.  At least in my current setup it's easy to assign the same output to at least two physical outputs and all my stage snakes are now 4 XLR return so I should have plenty of returns to put them anywhere I need onstage.  For me it's not a deal killer, and I do have XLR/TRS cables in the trunk, but it's so much nicer to just use standard XLR cabling everywhere no matter what the setup is.

The other minor design annoyance which I can't see a way around is that while they have a top hat for small mains usage all the connections end up on the top of the speaker.  So, while I may go there in a pinch, more than likely they'll get used as wedges 99 times out of 100.

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2013, 11:49:48 AM »

"I've always grouped Alto in the same pool as Sampson, Behringer, Phonic, etc."

So did I until I actually heard them.  And, just as a reference point, my main monitor setup is  SRX 712M's powered by PLX 3402's

Scott Wagner

• Richmond, VA
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2013, 12:22:03 PM »

"I've always grouped Alto in the same pool as Sampson, Behringer, Phonic, etc."

So did I until I actually heard them.  And, just as a reference point, my main monitor setup is  SRX 712M's powered by PLX 3402's
I own several of the Alto SXMs.  They are great sounding (especially at the price point), and they get plenty loud.  My only complaints with them are:

1. The XLR connectors do not latch.
2. The paint is fairly fragile.
3. No power pass-through.
4. Amp plate (and connectors) face the audience.

Of the options listed so far (that I have experience with), I'd put the RCF NX10SMA (or 12) at the top of the list.  They are rugged and well-designed powered monitors that can serve other purposes.  Seeing that Mark is already sporting a pile of RCF gear, these are a great choice if budget allows.

The EV ZXA1 are great little speakers that do many things very well (and look good doing it).  The plastic cabinets are prone to scuffing.  I don't consider these sufficient for loud monitor duty.  Other than that, they are also a great choice.

The Alto SXM112A are extremely useful and dirt cheap.  You can buy a truckload of these things.  They have surprised me on many levels - including output.  I wouldn't hesitate to throw these on a rock stage, and I'm not embarrassed to use them with picky musos.  For the price, these have no equal.

In the end, I'm sure Mark will make a great (and well-informed) choice that fits his particular needs.
Scott Wagner
Big Nickel Audio

George Dougherty

« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2013, 10:57:53 PM »

Of the options listed so far (that I have experience with), I'd put the RCF NX10SMA (or 12) at the top of the list.  They are rugged and well-designed powered monitors that can serve other purposes.  Seeing that Mark is already sporting a pile of RCF gear, these are a great choice if budget allows.

+1, given your complaint list, the RCF is the only option that solves all of those.  Maybe after the warranty expires I'll see about upgrading the Flexsys amp panel with passthrough powercon connections.  It'd be especially nice since my power snake is all rubber boxes with powercon passthrough so I could just chain everything together.  Of course, that seems like a less useful option as I think about relocating monitors around the stage, but in some circumstances it might work out well.

George Dougherty

« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2013, 11:00:08 PM »

I'm really wanting to get my hands on some of these Alto wedges now given all the positive comments.  Hard to imagine that a box retailing for ~$300 can be in the same ballpark as one retailing for near $1000.  If it can, I'm sold.

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2013, 11:14:44 PM »

Thanks everyone for the suggestions so far. I'm watching carefully but keeping my mouth shut since I asked for advice :).

I could get 6 Altos for the price of two RCF NX-12SMA's. Somewhat compelling, but I real don't like the connections facing the audience, really looks kind of cheap. 

Anyone near Houston have these? I'll be in Montgomery, TX in 4 more weeks for my annual shopping trip. 

Any stock, padded bags available for the Altos?
Mark McFarlane

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2013, 11:14:44 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 24 queries.