ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Anatomy of large scale power distro  (Read 9368 times)

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Re: Anatomy of large scale power distro
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2011, 10:01:14 PM »

great post mac. Very informative. so the volatage coming thru those cam lock feeders is usually just 208 volts? and its just the amp service that are usually diff? how many amps (at what voltage) can those feeders carry?

The voltage coming out of those Cam-Lok® connectors is 208V relative to each other, it is 120V relative to the neutral or ground (because neutral will be tied to ground at the service entrance). That is standard 3Ø power in the US. If the service is single phase there will be 2 hot legs that are 240V relative to each other, and 120V relative to the neutral. In most professional venues the service is 3Ø.

The service will be sized appropriately for the type of venue as far as ampacity.

Feeder is usually 00 or 0000 gauge depending on how much power will be pulled through that feeder.

Mac
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 11:11:38 PM by Mac Kerr »

Albert Thomas

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2011, 10:39:47 PM »

Im just curious to know how exactly power gets from the 480 v 3 phase feeders down to amp racks, dimmer modules and stage power.green white black red blue?... multi pin power connectors?...anatomy of a distro box? etc?  Just trying to learn and understand so i can have an idea of whats going on if i ever see it. :o

Lot's of good info posted here. I'd just like to add a word of caution to the inexperienced as to the safety hazards present when you get into these kind of current availabilities. You can get some serious burns or die if things aren't done right. I've been an electrician working with 3 phase high currents for 30 years and have seen some ugly injuries. If you're not 100% sure of what you're doing, ASK! Don't assume, it'll help keep you out of the emergency room.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2011, 10:39:47 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 21 queries.