ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Peavey CS4080 shutting down w/o DDT  (Read 10289 times)

Alex Sudbrink

Re: Peavey CS4080 shutting down w/o DDT
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2013, 05:03:57 PM »

How are you running the system?  Bridged?

You could try disconnecting the speakers from the amp and then run the amp with no-load.  Does it still shut down, if so you'll probably need to send it back to service.  But if it stays on then you'll need to analyze your load for problems.  Could be shorted cables or too low load impedance.

I am running it in stereo with the parallel input switch engaged for a mono sub feed. I have one srx718 on each channel. 12/4 going to the first 718 with a 12/2 jumper to the next. Banana plugs on the amp end one on each channel. I will try turning it on with no load next time I get a chance.

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
Peavey CS4080 shutting down w/o DDT
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2013, 07:36:38 PM »

I am running it in stereo with the parallel input switch engaged for a mono sub feed. I have one srx718 on each channel. 12/4 going to the first 718 with a 12/2 jumper to the next. Banana plugs on the amp end one on each channel. I will try turning it on with no load next time I get a chance.

How many subs total?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Alex Sudbrink

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2013, 09:18:29 PM »

How many subs total?

One 718 on each side of the amp.  I just set it up again and I amp pushing it pretty hard without my subs connected and the amp seems to be running fine.  Now, I am plugged into a different power supply (my apartment instead of the basement I was in on Saturday).  I live an apartment so I can't set up my subs and test them here, but I will be able to do that next weekend when I can take them back to the house.  So I'm not sure if it is an A/C issue or something in how my subs are drawing the power from the amp.

To review, I had a 12/4 with bananas on channels a and b on the amp end running to the first sub with a 12/2 to the next so each sub gets its own feed from the amp.  the amp is getting a mono signal and I have the parallel input switch engaged.  When I made the 12/4 cable I double checked several times to make sure all of my wires were going to the right place but I will check again this weekend.  I don't have them here at the apartment. Could something incorrectly done in the cable cause this at all? 

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
Peavey CS4080 shutting down w/o DDT
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2013, 09:26:37 PM »

One 718 on each side of the amp.  I just set it up again and I amp pushing it pretty hard without my subs connected and the amp seems to be running fine.  Now, I am plugged into a different power supply (my apartment instead of the basement I was in on Saturday).  I live an apartment so I can't set up my subs and test them here, but I will be able to do that next weekend when I can take them back to the house.  So I'm not sure if it is an A/C issue or something in how my subs are drawing the power from the amp.

To review, I had a 12/4 with bananas on channels a and b on the amp end running to the first sub with a 12/2 to the next so each sub gets its own feed from the amp.  the amp is getting a mono signal and I have the parallel input switch engaged.  When I made the 12/4 cable I double checked several times to make sure all of my wires were going to the right place but I will check again this weekend.  I don't have them here at the apartment. Could something incorrectly done in the cable cause this at all?

I am not real familiar with how the 718s are wired but is the switch on the 2nd sub set to get its feed from circuit 2?

rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2013, 09:30:05 PM »

Are you sure your speakers are passing through the correct channel? Wire up your speakers with no amp and measure the DC resistance across each of the banana plugs to make sure they are the same, and that they both are a little under 8Ω.

Mac

Alex Sudbrink

« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2013, 09:33:24 PM »

I am not real familiar with how the 718s are wired but is the switch on the 2nd sub set to get its feed from circuit 2?

I have the first sub getting its signal from 2+/- and the second getting 1+/- because the 12/2 jumper that I use is wired for 1+/- by default so I figured I'd let that signal pass through to the second speaker instead of redoing the cable to be on 2.  So I have the switch on the back of the first cabinet set to receive 2 and the second receives 1.

Alex Sudbrink

« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2013, 09:35:20 PM »

Are you sure your speakers are passing through the correct channel? Wire up your speakers with no amp and measure the DC resistance across each of the banana plugs to make sure they are the same, and that they both are a little under 8Ω.

Mac

Thanks, I will do that when I get a chance to get over to my parents' later this week where my gear is stored.  Not a lot of room in apartments these days... plus i'm on the second floor  ???

Alex Sudbrink

« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2013, 09:43:14 PM »

Update:  For about the last half hour I have been running it with some pretty bass heavy rock music (no clipping) with no subs hooked up and it seemed to be running fine until I just checked it and the green power lights were off and the yellow DDT lights were on and the signal was still flashing.  I turned the amp off and as soon as I turn it back on the power light fades in and out a few times until it shuts itself off again. Won't stay on at all.  Amp is not warm and the fans were not running at all.

Another update:  I waited about 5-10 minutes and turned it back on.  This time it powered up and I just watched it for a bit with no signal running to it at all.  After about 20 seconds I heard it *click* and then the power light began fading in and out again until it shut off a few seconds later.  I tested the outlet and it read at about 119.8 volts so that seems normal.  Is my amp faulty?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 09:51:23 PM by Alex Sudbrink »

Alex Sudbrink

« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2013, 04:19:55 PM »

So I called peavey today and they described my problem as highly unusual. The only way to know more is to have a tech look at it. I bought this amp used on ebay and I have been in communication with the seller about this and he is willing to refund me and accept a return if I don't want to have it fixed.  It's good to know there are still honest people with some integrity out there. I was losing faith after fighting off scammers on Craigslist several times a week lol

Jack keaton

« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2013, 07:50:36 PM »

So I called peavey today and they described my problem as highly unusual. The only way to know more is to have a tech look at it. I bought this amp used on ebay and I have been in communication with the seller about this and he is willing to refund me and accept a return if I don't want to have it fixed.  It's good to know there are still honest people with some integrity out there. I was losing faith after fighting off scammers on Craigslist several times a week lol

You are better off buying from GC used gear. You can return with them with little issues

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2013, 07:50:36 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 20 queries.