ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: 25 Hz is the new 50 Hz - ULTRA Music Festival  (Read 79141 times)

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
Re: 25 Hz is the new 50 Hz - ULTRA Music Festival
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2013, 08:52:51 PM »

No mentioning on the Void rig there.

I don't have the sub measurements, I did the alignment on Nathan's SysTune rig.

The line array sounded great, low distortion with no listening fatigue, to my ears. 
Good tracks really sounded great.  It was a split sub system.  If Nathan will measure the new sub, I'll post it. 

Good job by Void and AIS Chicago. 
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

paul bell

« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2013, 09:34:08 PM »

David Lee of BASSMAXX had nothing but good things to report about Nathan's line array.

Stu McDoniel

• Central Wisconsin...USA
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2013, 10:26:36 PM »

Some of us have realized the need for solid bass down that low for awhile :).

One thing that is often overlooked is actually LISTENING to the subs.  What happens to a lot of subs that "claim" low freq reproduction-is that at those low freq-the distortion is so hig-as is is actually louder and masks the low fundamentals.

Delivering bass that low-loud is not an easy thing to do-and also do it without sounding "flubby".

It is very important to LISTEN to the loudspeakers-not just read the spec sheets-as they don't tell the whole story.
Ivan...just curious.  Some of the most impressive sub bass I have ever heard is subs designed with servo feedback.  Accelerometer on the cone itself.  The design is a close looped system with
a comparator circuit.  The input is compared to the actual cone motion which is monitored by the accelerometer and thus the correction of cone motion takes place.
I do not understand why I am not seeing this in the pro these subwoofer designs?
This design reduces distortion in a huge way, and talk about "tight" impressive sub bass!

Lee Buckalew

• Classic LAB
  • St. Louis, MO area
    • Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2013, 10:49:13 PM »

Ivan...just curious.  Some of the most impressive sub bass I have ever heard is subs designed with servo feedback.  Accelerometer on the cone itself.  The design is a close looped system with
a comparator circuit.  The input is compared to the actual cone motion which is monitored by the accelerometer and thus the correction of cone motion takes place.
I do not understand why I am not seeing this in the pro these subwoofer designs?
This design reduces distortion in a huge way, and talk about "tight" impressive sub bass!

There are definitely some pro subs with servo feedback as well as other correction such as monitoring of magnetic variation due to heat build up and other factors involved in power compression.  Both the Martin MLX and the DSX are phenomenal subs.  They also have an ASX install model that's really designed more for dance club use.

Lee
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

paul bell

« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2013, 10:52:09 PM »

There are definitely some pro subs with servo feedback as well as other correction such as monitoring of magnetic variation due to heat build up and other factors involved in power compression.  Both the Martin MLX and the DSX are phenomenal subs.  They also have an ASX install model that's really designed more for dance club use.

Lee

The B&C IPAL drivers are soon to be out there with the appropriate amplification modules.

Marjan Milosevic

• MM-acoustics
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2013, 11:07:19 PM »

They are out for quite some time and used in few subs already. Like the Fohnn PS9.

Craig Hauber

• Mondak Sound Design - Plentywood MT/Grenora ND
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2013, 01:17:12 AM »

Why don't they quit messing around with large piles of cabinets and just contract with Danley for some Matterhorns  :)
Craig Hauber
Mondak Sound Design
-Live PA
-Installs
-Theatre

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2013, 08:04:26 AM »

Is there a large enough market for "super subs"?  Should they be tapped or folded horns?  What about sheer SPL vs LF extension? 

If someone(s) got together with a healthy sized purchase order, tapped horn, 25Hz -3dB point, maybe even a few RU for Powersoft K20's or similar - I'm happy to help coordinate and iron out capabilities, and work with Danley to oversee it coming to fruition.  From past experience, they are happy to do this.  They just need someone to spearhead the project, dollars promised, and a clear target to hit. 

Experience is something you get right after you need it.

paul bell

« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2013, 10:30:54 AM »

To get down to 25Hz or so, a horn cabinet would need to have a ridiculously large horn mouth. The D&B Infra's are a band pass design that gets that low but doesn't do much more-a one note wonder. Front loaded vented cabinets are the way to go for this frequency range but the cabinet needs to be pretty big.

Overall, front loaded is the viable option-for now.

paul bell

« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2013, 10:34:33 AM »

D&B J-Infra sub and BASSMAXX SP218 sub. The BASSMAXX MLM218 sub is what Doug heard at UMF and it's pretty flat to about 23Hz.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2013, 10:34:33 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 24 queries.