ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: AMP Question (Crown CTS600)  (Read 3168 times)

chris broadway

AMP Question (Crown CTS600)
« on: December 30, 2013, 12:36:38 PM »

I am new to a system and trying to figure out why it was setup the way it was.  I have reviewed the amp user manuals and have a couple questions.  From my driverack DBX-260, I run channels 3 and 4 to a single Amp. Channel 3 on the DBX connects to channel 1 on the amp, and channel 4 on the DBX connects to channel 2 on the amp.   I have a single sub connection on the amp following the "bridged" method and one end of the speaker cable is connected to channel 1 and the other channel 2.  All the references in the user manual show this as a "dual bridged" connection.  However, I hear nothing through the subs when I have the switch in the back in the "dual" mode.  If I change it to the "mono" mode, I hear the subs.  Also, If I mute either channel 3 or 4 on the DBX-260 (not at the same time) I hear subs.  I am confused at the result I am getting.  Since I am running a single sub speaker from the amp (the other sub must be daisy chained from it) should I run a single connection from the DBX and stay in mono bridged mode?  should I run one connection from the DBX and stay in true mono mode (not bridged)? Should I find the other sub speaker connector and try to be in true dual mode?  Any insight is appreciated.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: AMP Question (Crown CTS600)
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2013, 01:16:35 PM »

I am new to a system and trying to figure out why it was setup the way it was.  I have reviewed the amp user manuals and have a couple questions.  From my driverack DBX-260, I run channels 3 and 4 to a single Amp. Channel 3 on the DBX connects to channel 1 on the amp, and channel 4 on the DBX connects to channel 2 on the amp.   I have a single sub connection on the amp following the "bridged" method and one end of the speaker cable is connected to channel 1 and the other channel 2.  All the references in the user manual show this as a "dual bridged" connection.  However, I hear nothing through the subs when I have the switch in the back in the "dual" mode.  If I change it to the "mono" mode, I hear the subs.  Also, If I mute either channel 3 or 4 on the DBX-260 (not at the same time) I hear subs.  I am confused at the result I am getting.  Since I am running a single sub speaker from the amp (the other sub must be daisy chained from it) should I run a single connection from the DBX and stay in mono bridged mode?  should I run one connection from the DBX and stay in true mono mode (not bridged)? Should I find the other sub speaker connector and try to be in true dual mode?  Any insight is appreciated.

Chris, perhaps the manual doesn't give a clear understanding of what is going on.  "Bridge mode" or "mono bridged" does this:  it sends the channel 1 input to both ins 1 and 2, inverts the polarity of ch. 2, and you use only the "+" binding posts for the speaker output.  Ch. 1 + is "+" and ch. 2 + is "-".  The use of the input level control varies by brand and model - some amps ignore the ch 2 control entirely, some need it turned 100% OFF, others need it set the same as ch 1.  If the manual doesn't specify, I start with ch 2 down.  Some amps will not ignore a signal at the ch 2 input, and mixing it with the inverted polarity of bridge mode can make a 6db drop in level on ch 2.  Not what you want at all, but I don't know how the CTs deals with this.

I take it the DR outputs 3 & 4 are for the subs.  You can have the DR give you a mixed mono sub out, IIRC, on 1 physical output.  This will give you what your need.

The "dual" mode is simply a split of ch 1 input to ch 2.  No polarity inversion and the amp operates in normal, 2 channel fashion.

That said, I think the amp is absolutely the wrong product for the job.  A look at the specs from Crown show an output of 300w. @ 4 ohms bridged, 600w @ 8 ohms bridged.  You'd be 3dB better off by running each sub on its own channel.  Note that it will not sound as loud as bridged mode, because you pick up 6dB of gain when bridging.  Bump the subwoofer output on the DR to compensate.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 01:18:39 PM by Tim McCulloch »
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

chris broadway

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2013, 06:09:16 PM »

Tim, Thanks.  So I guess it all boils down to being...In my case, if I am going to run two channels from the DR, then it is best to use both amp output channels.  Likewise, if I am going to run mono from the DR, it is best to run one channel bridged from the amp.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2013, 07:48:09 PM »

Tim, Thanks.  So I guess it all boils down to being...In my case, if I am going to run two channels from the DR, then it is best to use both amp output channels.  Likewise, if I am going to run mono from the DR, it is best to run one channel bridged from the amp.

No, don't bridge the amp.  I guess I didn't make it clear enough when I said FIRST that the amp wasn't suitable for subs (way, way underpowered) and that it puts out LESS power into a pair of subs when operated in bridged mono mode.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2013, 07:48:09 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 25 queries.