ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Sound System - Technical Rider Considerations?  (Read 20375 times)

Kent Thompson

Re: New Sound System - Technical Rider Considerations?
« Reply #40 on: March 31, 2013, 01:43:00 AM »

So shifting gears slightly... how does one normally go about auditioning/demo'ing a console, or speakers for that matter?  Yamaha has a "test drive" promotion going on right now for the CL's, but other than that, it seems like it would be tricky to get your hands on most of these boards, as there seems to be relatively few dealers for some of these brands (at least according to the dealer pages on the respective web sites).  Do you try to hunt down a sound company in the area and see if they'll let you see their's at a show?  I suppose you could try to track down a church in the area that has one and see if they'll let you look over their shoulder during a rehearsal or service?  Those don't seem like great options in terms of seeing how they would work in your own environment.  I have to admit that in the online videos, some of these boards look a lot more intuitive - but I suspect a lot of that could change when you actually have the board in your hands (e.g. the A&H and even Soundcraft Vi stuff looks to me pretty friendly to the guys transitioning from analog, where as the Midas looks a lot more convoluted).

I assume once you get into the mid-range digital boards, the sound quality differences aren't going to be enormous?  I'm sure there are differences, but in our case, the weak link in the chain would definitely be the guy sitting at the console, not the console itself ;)  Which is why "ease of use" will probably be a bigger concern for us than having the last word in sound quality.
Our vendor arranged an iLive demo for us before we bought ours. They have a demo console or 2 floating around the US or use to...

Jason Andreasen

« Reply #41 on: August 02, 2013, 03:55:55 PM »

So I thought I'd revive this thread with a little bit of an update, and a "thank you" for some of the suggestions here.  We're working with a great Integrator that made similar suggestions, and fortunately the build team has been taking their direction.  The integrator was involved early enough (i.e. before the prints were finalized) that they were able to make some architectural in infrastructure recommendations (wall shapes, sufficient steel structure to hang a travelling PA, power tie-ins, etc) that are being incorporated.  They've already done some modelling, and line arrays are out.  They get that we're more concerned with coverage and good sound than looking cool :)  They're also being very proactive about building in extra cable runs, conduit, etc for our own future growth.

One of the things that has always been in the plans are multiple path-ways to the stage that are all on the same level (we've had enough of our own headaches getting things in and out of our existing building that we've always had that in the plans).

One of the things that I think made a huge impact for us was that a couple of our pastors were able to travel to see several of the systems that the integrator had done.  They got to experience the full spectrum of installs from full blown to fairly modest, and I think they were educated well on what stuff is important to get right to start with, and what stuff to leave as upgrades down the road because budget won't allow us to do everything right now.

Tim Padrick

• Indianapolis
    • T.P. Audio
« Reply #42 on: August 04, 2013, 09:11:36 PM »

The main negative for me on the Midas consoles applies only when one has to run monitors from FOH: The aux sends cannot be made pre-EQ, and Midas says that pre-EQ will never be possible.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #42 on: August 04, 2013, 09:11:36 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 21 queries.