ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Announcer voice compression  (Read 13912 times)

James A. Griffin

Re: Announcer voice compression
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2013, 02:44:17 PM »

So, you don't want to hire an audio guy... but you would like free advise from an audio community, so you can go ahead and avoid hiring one of us... for your NATIONAL broadcast.

Hopefully someone in the future doesn't decide to half-ass your job, and send you home so they can do it themselves... with some free advise from a pro-video forum of-course.

Welcome to the community... I guess.  :-\

That posting was a bit harsh in both tone and substance.  This forum is all about open discussion, Q&A, and problem-solving for the beginner and the seasoned pro.    We all work with limitations of time, talent, & budget.   The OP was asking a legitimate question about a legitimate problem he faces.
I need to determine where in this swamp of unbalanced formulas squatteth the Toad of Truth

Steve Milner

• DcSoundOp Audio Blog
Announcer voice compression
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2013, 03:12:05 PM »

John,
 Sorry for the harsh tone, I shouldn't have directed it towards you, as that's obviously unfair. As these situations become more frequent in the industry, I know it not always us (operators) who have a say in the budget / crew for a given show, but it's still frustrating all the same. 
  Maybe this week of being A1 on a projection heavy theater show, where the client decided a projection tech was unnecessary, only to be on comm with me every 5 mins with a projection question, has just taken its toll on my patience & understanding.
  My apologies to you. I always like to see a BSS DPR-402 or 404 for important channels when doing broadcast truck work... They seem to be pretty common in the rigs I work on.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2013, 03:30:48 PM »

This is for a boxing in ring announcer. He won't want to get rid of his handheld plus he needs to hold it in front if the ref as he talks to the boxers. I'm getting a direct feed from his mic (wireless mic two receivers. House has one I have one) it distorts on our mixer but its a small production so I don't really have a dedicated audio person so peaks can distort. It's not that bad but I had a little overdriven audio on my last show so I want to av sound future problems.

John....

You should really listen to what Tim Mc said about putting your own wireless lav on the announcer.  You can use an omni and gain it up as much as you need since it won't be feeding into the PA, so no feedback.  It will pick up everything you need.

If you really want this to work, get the wireless rig, a compressor/limiter to even out the levels and take it from there.  IF you want to save the show and a few paid hours for people, spend the money on the wireless and the comp.  Cheaping out and putting out a poor product won't save anything.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2013, 04:46:03 PM »

Thanks for all the suggestions. I have been looking into the DBx and it is a front runner. I have heard good things about the Behringer MDX4600 4-Channel MultiCom Pro-X but I question behringers quality.

I am taking a split off the house so I'm getting a direct line. The main problem is that the announcer will give me a constant level and then suddenly will almost be yelling and obviously distorting.

FWIW I use a 4600 and have had no trouble with it, but if you don't need 4 channels get a 2 channel unit because the 4 channel version doesn't have as many useful controls. I use the 4600 for my less critical channels and a 2 channel Samson S-com comp on my main vocal channels.(not that the Samson is a very good comp either but I got a good deal on both the 4600 and the S-com and they work fine for my purposes).

Darin Ulmer

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2013, 06:37:48 PM »

I'm getting a direct feed from his mic (wireless mic two receivers. House has one I have one) it distorts on our mixer but its a small production so I don't really have a dedicated audio person so peaks can distort. It's not that bad but I had a little overdriven audio on my last show so I want to av sound future problems.

It is possible that the distortion is happening in the wireless unit before it even gets to the mixer.  If your receiver has an audio level/peak meter watch it to make sure it is not peaking.  If so, reduce the gain on the wireless handheld transmitter.   

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2013, 07:35:49 PM »

It is possible that the distortion is happening in the wireless unit before it even gets to the mixer.  If your receiver has an audio level/peak meter watch it to make sure it is not peaking.  If so, reduce the gain on the wireless handheld transmitter.

It's not his to adjust.........

Darin Ulmer

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2013, 07:46:22 PM »

It's not his to adjust.........

If that is the source of the problem he could explain the issue and politely ask.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2013, 07:50:39 PM »

If that is the source of the problem he could explain the issue and politely ask.

Even if he received cooperation, his description of the mode of use of the hand-held transmitter means that it will still not function properly for what he needs.  Tim's solution of simply using a separate (user owned/operated) wireless lav on the announcer is the only solution I've seen so far that makes sense.

Having your own gear for broadcast/recording feed is always preferable.  It is the correct way to do it.

John Alves

« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2013, 02:03:56 AM »

I will look closely into the lav idea but I'm not sure if that would make a difference . To clarify this is how I am recieving the signal. The announcer is using a wireless handheld. Not sure the model but its a top of the line Shure. The house audio has one receiver and I have another with both being tuned to the same mic so the feed I'm getting from it is clean and a good signal.

The problem is that I can set the levels for the announcer but he is not a pro and tends to yell into the mic from time to time. He is only on for a bit at the intro and then for the decision so we try to watch the levels but on my last show they got away a bit on us. Not bad but to me it was a warning that I have to find a better solution. We have it set pretty close so I figure if I throw a Peak Limiter in there to protect me in those moments when he suddenly gets too loud and were a little late on turning him down.

I think the solution of the lav is very similar if not exact to what I'm doing except that I'm using the same handheld mic. Am I correct in thinking that? Or is the lav still a better idea for a reason I'm not catching?

John Alves

« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2013, 02:09:40 AM »

No worries. I work in a city where Hockey is the bread and butter of the live broadcast technicians and I saw a lot of them suffer through the lock out this year. I am fortunate to not be one of them and because of that I have done what I can to help some out. Thus why I fired back. I understand where it's coming from but wanted to explain my side as to not be lumped in with someone who would cut a position just to be able to undercut.

John,
 Sorry for the harsh tone, I shouldn't have directed it towards you, as that's obviously unfair. As these situations become more frequent in the industry, I know it not always us (operators) who have a say in the budget / crew for a given show, but it's still frustrating all the same. 
  Maybe this week of being A1 on a projection heavy theater show, where the client decided a projection tech was unnecessary, only to be on comm with me every 5 mins with a projection question, has just taken its toll on my patience & understanding.
  My apologies to you. I always like to see a BSS DPR-402 or 404 for important channels when doing broadcast truck work... They seem to be pretty common in the rigs I work on.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2013, 02:09:40 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 24 queries.