ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Are the horns in 2 of my 4 floor monitors blown?  (Read 8378 times)

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
Re: Are the horns in 2 of my 4 floor monitors blown?
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2013, 10:43:18 AM »

Yes, start with C4. If you can post a picture of the back of the board that would be helpful.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2013, 12:46:17 PM »

Thanks. I've attached the photo updated to identify each component. Are there in fact four capacitors as shown?

Presumably, your test to find the bad capacitor will change the sound. Am I correct that jumping a bad capacitor will make the silent horn sound? What will jumping a bad capacitor in the quiet horn sound like?
If I had to make a guess-your L1 and C2 would be the woofer crossover and all the rest of the parts are in the HF circuit.

Your C1 is not a cap-but rather the poly switch-which should also be shorted out to test as Bob suggested.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Bob L. Wilson

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2013, 07:34:51 PM »

Are the horns in 2 of my 4 floor monitors blown?

I have set up a monitor system for our band. Vocal and amplifier microphones plus line level instruments directly connected to the 8 channel inputs of a Korg D888 mixer.  The stereo monitor outputs of that mixer go through 2 balanced Prolink Monster Cable interconnect cables into the inputs of a Yamaha P3500S power amplifier. Both channels of the amplifier are set to not use any filter, not use YS processing, and are set to work in stereo.  Each of the two amplifier channels are connected to two Yamaha SM10V floor monitors in series, for a total of 4 floor monitors. All amplifier and monitor inter-connections use Live Wire Elite speaker cables with Neutrik Speakon connectors.

The manual for the amplifier claims that it has some type of a protection circuit to protect the speakers. The manual for the monitors claim that they have a self-resetting poly switch meant to protect the high-frequency driver from damage caused by excessive power.

I've been using this setup for a couple of months now, and last week I noticed that in one of the two monitors on amp channel A, the horn produces no sound. On the other monitor on channel A the horn produces a much quieter sound than the 2 monitors on amp channel B. The 2 monitors on amp channel B sound great.

How can I determine if the 2 horns connected to amp channel A are blown. Could there be something else wrong?

The only possible reason I can see for ever buying a Yamaha power amp would be to get the YS processing if I already owned Yamaha Club series speakers. I am totally confused about why you would have the YS processing disengaged. After fixing the speakers engage it and leave it. It is supposed to incorporate a HPF, EQ, and a frequency specific limiter everything one should need to keep wedges alive.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2013, 07:34:51 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 23 queries.