ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Who's next?  (Read 14846 times)

Brandon Wright

Who's next?
« on: March 03, 2013, 08:28:22 PM »

So Behringer "broke ground" with the x32, and so far Soundcraft and Roland were quick to follow suit in the sub $3000 digital console realm. My question is, who will be next to follow suit with an amplifier that puts out 4000 watts per channel at four ohms for less than two grand to compete with the new Behringer offering?

I won't be spending my money on any of the Behringer products, but I can't say that I don't welcome their influence on market prices.  ;)

Tim Perry

• Utica-Rome NY
Re: Who's next?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2013, 11:40:01 PM »

So Behringer "broke ground" with the x32, and so far Soundcraft and Roland were quick to follow suit in the sub $3000 digital console realm. My question is, who will be next to follow suit with an amplifier that puts out 4000 watts per channel at four ohms for less than two grand to compete with the new Behringer offering?

I won't be spending my money on any of the Behringer products, but I can't say that I don't welcome their influence on market prices.  ;)

Only Zoltar knows. deposit $300 and a rusty Sm57 and he will tell you.

Brandon Wright

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 12:02:28 AM »

Only Zoltar knows. deposit $300 and a rusty Sm57 and he will tell you.

I suppose I lead that in a different direction than I intended to. Instead of drawing a manufacturer out of a hat, I guess I was looking for speculation as to whether or not the usual players (QSC, Crest, Crown, etc....) will try to compete at this price point?

My train of thought: Harmon slashed prices on the compact/expression (to the tune of $5000) to have a hand in this market, so will we see a macrotech 12000i equivalent subjected to a similar cut to compete with the inuke offering? Or is there less to be gained in the low cost amplifier market? (e.g. People who can't afford high power amplifiers can't afford the cabinets that require them?)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2013, 02:04:47 AM »

I suppose I lead that in a different direction than I intended to. Instead of drawing a manufacturer out of a hat, I guess I was looking for speculation as to whether or not the usual players (QSC, Crest, Crown, etc....) will try to compete at this price point?

My train of thought: Harmon slashed prices on the compact/expression (to the tune of $5000) to have a hand in this market, so will we see a macrotech 12000i equivalent subjected to a similar cut to compete with the inuke offering? Or is there less to be gained in the low cost amplifier market? (e.g. People who can't afford high power amplifiers can't afford the cabinets that require them?)

I'd look for some "down-line percolation."  Harmon will pimp a brand name (JBL should never have the JRX under their name), but I'm not sure they'd do $300 Crowns.  Among the prosumer brands owned by Harman is Pyle.  We might see "Pyle - with Crown heritage inside!"  In the case of mixer competition, Harman had to do something very quickly when the X32 finally started shipping out of China.  The question is, at what level do they want to play at this price point?

Neither Harmon nor Yamaha are new kids or lightweight players.  It will be interesting to see what they offer up in the next 9 months.  QSC?  You'd have to ask Pat Quilter.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Jonathan Goodall

• New Zealand
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2013, 03:39:27 AM »

Still waiting on more news about the QSC digital desk that was talked about a couple of years back.  (QSC and Greg Mackie collaboration if I remember correctly)
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 03:43:32 AM by Jonathan Goodall »

Tom Young

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2013, 08:05:00 AM »

The obvious problem with this is that if enough of the market pours its dollars into the "too cheap to be reliable and serviceable" products that Behringer has championed *and* other manufacturers are forced to compete in price....... they can only do this by lowering quality (in one way or another) and we could end up with no one making real "pro" gear that is designed to deliver great performance, last many years, is supported by factory authorized service centers, etc.

Recognizing that I sound more and more like a curmudgeon..... I am not particularly thrilled to see stupid-cheap products with a whole lot of features and unsubstantiated specs but very questionable longevity.
Tom Young
Electroacoustic Design Services
Oxford CT
203-888-6217

Rick Earl

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2013, 08:33:27 AM »

I am not particularly thrilled to see stupid-cheap products with a whole lot of features and unsubstantiated specs but very questionable longevity.

+1

Jim McKeveny

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2013, 10:55:57 AM »

Things tend not to break during sound check but rather during the show...

Brandon Wright

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2013, 11:28:51 AM »

Recognizing that I sound more and more like a curmudgeon..... I am not particularly thrilled to see stupid-cheap products with a whole lot of features and unsubstantiated specs but very questionable longevity.

Tom,

I very much agree with you on this point. But in the case of the Expression/Compact, soundcraft didn't come up with anything new. They simply took a proven product that had likely already paid for any R&D that went into it, repainted it, gave it a software update, and called it a new product at a lower price point. So, it wasn't originally built for the price point it landed in.

Woody Nuss

• Santa Monica, CA
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2013, 04:12:39 AM »

Buzz around town says QSC is bringing a new digital desk out for a run in a local venue this week.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2013, 04:12:39 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 26 queries.