ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Add another sub?  (Read 7547 times)

Greg Percy

Add another sub?
« on: February 26, 2013, 08:51:31 AM »

Basic set up is 2 ev eliminator tops w  2 Yorkville Ucs1 subs...I also have a qsc HPR151 powered sub that is currently sitting in my garage...Would it be beneficial to my system to add the powered sub as a supplement to the other two, or would that just screw things up low end wise...If I were to do it, what would be the best placement- when possible I usually couple the yorkvilles center stage...(I have a Beh. dcx2496, so I can run an extra sub channel from there) I do recall reading that mix n match subs isn't the best idea...just curious as to your ideas..thanks in advance

John Halliburton

• Still has hair and white pointy beard...
Re: Add another sub?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 08:59:35 AM »

Basic set up is 2 ev eliminator tops w  2 Yorkville Ucs1 subs...I also have a qsc HPR151 powered sub that is currently sitting in my garage...Would it be beneficial to my system to add the powered sub as a supplement to the other two, or would that just screw things up low end wise...If I were to do it, what would be the best placement- when possible I usually couple the yorkvilles center stage...(I have a Beh. dcx2496, so I can run an extra sub channel from there) I do recall reading that mix n match subs isn't the best idea...just curious as to your ideas..thanks in advance

Considering that you would be trying to mate up two different subwoofer types(horn loaded vs. vented), it isn't recommended.

Sell the QSC and add more Yorkvilles.

Best regards,

John

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 11:08:09 AM »

You have nothing to loose by trying.  It might help, it might not.  Why not try it?  No one will get hurt in the process!

George Dougherty

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 12:10:10 PM »

You have nothing to loose by trying.  It might help, it might not.  Why not try it?  No one will get hurt in the process!
No one except maybe the subs.  Horn loaded and direct radiator subs operating in the same bandwidth are a recipe for all kinds of issues as John already mentioned.  You'll cause comb filtering problems between the two and it becomes very easy to damage something because of major cancellations through differences in time arrival.
+1 to John's suggestion unless the OP wants to keep the QSC around as a small system sub for light duty events where high output is not needed.

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2013, 01:06:30 PM »

What about using the third sub in a drum monitor rig?
Mark McFarlane

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2013, 01:13:17 PM »

Code: [Select]
it becomes very easy to damage something because of major cancellations through differences in time arrival.
Has that ever happened?

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2013, 01:31:25 PM »

Code: [Select]
it becomes very easy to damage something because of major cancellations through differences in time arrival.
Has that ever happened?

George is heading into the "gee, I turned up the XYZ sub and it didn't get louder so I turned it up MORE" discussion.  I've seen that happen, but it wasn't from different types of woofer loading... it was from different front loaded boxes, a pair of JBL and a single EV-loaded box.  Take a guess....

"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2013, 01:39:43 PM »

So as long as you are not over-driving your subs past their capibility(never a good idea), you cannot damage them because of "major cancellations through differences in time arrival."

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2013, 02:57:18 PM »

So as long as you are not over-driving your subs past their capibility(never a good idea), you cannot damage them because of "major cancellations through differences in time arrival."
True.  The issue is overdriving something because the operator cannot perceive the acoustic results of the changes he is making.

Keep everything within normal thermal/mechanical parameters and it will operate without failure... it just won't sound right... but no, it will not fail.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2013, 03:20:36 PM »

Yeah, it probably won't sound right, but with so many variables like the room, sub placement, etc. you never know.  That's why I am from the "give it a try" school of thought.  We've all been surprised by things that should or shouldn't work!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2013, 03:20:36 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 24 queries.