ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: EAW LA212 monitor rig  (Read 17360 times)

Thomas Marshall

• Creative Sound and Lighting
EAW LA212 monitor rig
« on: February 25, 2013, 07:27:29 PM »

I am still growing my company, I currently don't have a high end stage monitor system.

I have powered yamaha wedges and powered eons, a few unpowered eons, and a few unpowered yamahas. I also have a few sennhesier wireless IEM systems.

I was offered an EAW monitor rig, basically 8 EAW LA212 speakers, road ready rack case, and 4 yamaha P7000S amplifiers. To my knowledge, no cabling but possibly negotiable. This was offered at a price of $5,500. The owner says he wants to sell to move to an IEM solution. He does lots of bluegrass, so I assume he still has other monitor systems and isn't going completely away from monitors.

My several questions:
Is it a good idea to invest in a monitor system like this? The price seems very fair!

Are the EAW LA212 still a popular well viewed speaker?

Are monitors still a good place to have money invested with the technology of IEM today? I feel wedges will never go away...

Aside from all this, I think these speakers can do me well in several areas, they are pole mountable, good wedges, and even good for front or side fill. I have currently been saving up to buy a digico SD9 or line array system, this will obviously set me back a little bit, but I feel its a good deal.

I would greatly appreciate advice, as being 21 and starting a business, I must make wise decisions financially. My website is www.creativesoundandlighting.com My equipment list is on there if that would help anyone advise.

Thanks!

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
Re: EAW LA212 monitor rig
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 08:37:49 PM »

I am still growing my company, I currently don't have a high end stage monitor system.

I have powered yamaha wedges and powered eons, a few unpowered eons, and a few unpowered yamahas. I also have a few sennhesier wireless IEM systems.

I was offered an EAW monitor rig, basically 8 EAW LA212 speakers, road ready rack case, and 4 yamaha P7000S amplifiers. To my knowledge, no cabling but possibly negotiable. This was offered at a price of $5,500. The owner says he wants to sell to move to an IEM solution. He does lots of bluegrass, so I assume he still has other monitor systems and isn't going completely away from monitors.

My several questions:
Is it a good idea to invest in a monitor system like this? The price seems very fair!

Are the EAW LA212 still a popular well viewed speaker?

Are monitors still a good place to have money invested with the technology of IEM today? I feel wedges will never go away...

Aside from all this, I think these speakers can do me well in several areas, they are pole mountable, good wedges, and even good for front or side fill. I have currently been saving up to buy a digico SD9 or line array system, this will obviously set me back a little bit, but I feel its a good deal.

I would greatly appreciate advice, as being 21 and starting a business, I must make wise decisions financially. My website is www.creativesoundandlighting.com My equipment list is on there if that would help anyone advise.

Thanks!

The LA series is not really considered "high end". You need to be in the SM or micro wedge territory to start having any rider acceptability. They also need to be biamped.

The LA series boxes are slightly better than what you have, but honestly they won't land any more business than what you currently have.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Thomas Marshall

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 09:51:39 PM »

The LA series is not really considered "high end". You need to be in the SM or micro wedge territory to start having any rider acceptability. They also need to be biamped.

The LA series boxes are slightly better than what you have, but honestly they won't land any more business than what you currently have.

Thanks, I'm aware of the difference in micro wedge quality monitors, verse what I'm looking at. I really can't afford a wedge that costs as much as a microwedge and the amps and cabling to bi amp it. Im not really looking to meet arena/coliseum tech riders, really looking to provide a good quality monitor system when needed. This doesn't necessarily answer my question as to whether the price offered is a good deal, whether the technology trends are making wedges less and less needed by IEM, and if these boxes would serve the purpose I'm looking for them to. If any help could be directed more towards this, that would be much appreciated.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013, 10:05:45 PM »

Thanks, I'm aware of the difference in micro wedge quality monitors, verse what I'm looking at. I really can't afford a wedge that costs as much as a microwedge and the amps and cabling to bi amp it. Im not really looking to meet arena/coliseum tech riders, really looking to provide a good quality monitor system when needed. This doesn't necessarily answer my question as to whether the price offered is a good deal, whether the technology trends are making wedges less and less needed by IEM, and if these boxes would serve the purpose I'm looking for them to. If any help could be directed more towards this, that would be much appreciated.

Sorry if it doesn't answer your question, but I have no clue if it's a good price or not. I know LA gear cost a lot when new, and most owners want very dear prices for their old used up kit on the used market. To me the price sounds pretty normal. about 500 per speaker, and 1500 for the amp rack. Not a great deal, but also not too expensive.

If it was my company I'd spend money on buying more of the powered yamaha monitors. Having 8 DSR112's and a single powered sub for the drummer would be every bit as good a monitor rig as the LA212's.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Robert Piascik

• Westerville, OH (near Columbus)
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2013, 12:34:39 AM »

I have 4 of those LA-212 and can't disagree with Tim's assessment at all. I LOVE them FOR WHAT THEY ARE but your first sentence says that you don't have a 'high-end monitor system' and they are NOT that. They are good small speakers but that is all. I have a dozen LA-215 that I like MUCH better than the 212. I do lots of bands in hotel ballrooms, country clubs, occasionally bars and I use the 215 way more than the 212. I'm pretty current on pricing and that deal you mentioned seems fair and reasonable but NOT a steal. I wouldn't jump at it. If I was gonna spend $5,500 on monitor wedges and power amps I'd get fewer of something bigger and better.
Pi Entertainment Services
Midas M32R / MR18
Behringer X32R
Danley SH50 / SM80 / TH118 / TH115
Fulcrum Acoustic fa22ac
RCF NX 12SMA
Yamaha DSR112 / DZR10
Powersoft X4 / M50Q
Crown iT8k

Thomas Marshall

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2013, 12:39:19 AM »

Sorry if it doesn't answer your question, but I have no clue if it's a good price or not. I know LA gear cost a lot when new, and most owners want very dear prices for their old used up kit on the used market. To me the price sounds pretty normal. about 500 per speaker, and 1500 for the amp rack. Not a great deal, but also not too expensive.

If it was my company I'd spend money on buying more of the powered yamaha monitors. Having 8 DSR112's and a single powered sub for the drummer would be every bit as good a monitor rig as the LA212's.

Tim,

Thank you. That does seem very logical what you say, I actually already have two of the Yamaha DSR112 speakers and really like them, nice clean simple design. I believe I can get them at a cost of around 650ish new... Do you believe the output SPL to be higher than an LA212? And sound quality? Thanks for taking the time to follow up!

If anyone else has more input, I'd be happy to hear your thoughts on this package.

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2013, 12:54:00 AM »

I have 4 of those LA-212 and can't disagree with Tim's assessment at all. I LOVE them FOR WHAT THEY ARE but your first sentence says that you don't have a 'high-end monitor system' and they are NOT that. They are good small speakers but that is all. I have a dozen LA-215 that I like MUCH better than the 212. I do lots of bands in hotel ballrooms, country clubs, occasionally bars and I use the 215 way more than the 212. I'm pretty current on pricing and that deal you mentioned seems fair and reasonable but NOT a steal. I wouldn't jump at it. If I was gonna spend $5,500 on monitor wedges and power amps I'd get fewer of something bigger and better.
I have 8 LA212s in my inventory, powered by QSC PLX3402/RMX4050HDs. I have to agree with Robert, though-- they are good for what they are, and work well on small to medium sized stages, but I don't think I would feel comfortable offering them to A-list acts. If I was handling A-list acts, that is. Haha.

They get loud, though, and sound good. Not a lot of EQing always required, in our experience, but again usually being used by less-experienced talent so they're not asking that much of them!

8 for $5,500 with amps... I would probably go for it, actually. One of the major houses in my town has (had?) a bunch of them, and they are (were?) out all of the time on small to medium sized events (that's where I first encountered them, actually! Bought mine in '08.)--  but your area of the country may be different. You already have the Yammie amps, so when you're just doing a DJ gig and don't need the monitors, you could use it to power other mains/subs. Consistency in your inventory is never a bad thing!

Will other service providers in the area have a potential need to cross rent? That's the other yardstick I would use to decide if it's a good purchase or not.

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Wichak Chanmuang

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2013, 03:14:20 AM »

You get the whole 8 LA212 for just 5,500 with the amps and racks !!   From your explaination of usage, don't hesitage to get them if they're in the original box, network and driver.

The EAW LA212 and 215 when properly driven by the top series amplifier with 1.5 time the power rating of the speaker. They sound very good and easy to operate.  You can flat your GEQ and PEQ of vocal mic ch.  like SM58 or better yet e935 with very clear and loud without getting paranoid of feedback.. 

The new speaker is not cheap and that's mean something..   Use the high-end amp with high power rating, you won't be regret especially at this price point.

And compared to Yamaha DSR112 or QSC HPR 112, like i told you, with the good amp, LA212 beat them all..   

I will definitely take them if i lived there...

Wichak Chanmuang

Owner of the rental company / Artist freelance engineer

Thomas Marshall

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2013, 01:40:53 PM »

You get the whole 8 LA212 for just 5,500 with the amps and racks !!   From your explaination of usage, don't hesitage to get them if they're in the original box, network and driver.

The EAW LA212 and 215 when properly driven by the top series amplifier with 1.5 time the power rating of the speaker. They sound very good and easy to operate.  You can flat your GEQ and PEQ of vocal mic ch.  like SM58 or better yet e935 with very clear and loud without getting paranoid of feedback.. 

The new speaker is not cheap and that's mean something..   Use the high-end amp with high power rating, you won't be regret especially at this price point.

And compared to Yamaha DSR112 or QSC HPR 112, like i told you, with the good amp, LA212 beat them all..   

I will definitely take them if i lived there...

Wichak Chanmuang

Owner of the rental company / Artist freelance engineer

Thanks, well now I am torn, this used rig for $5,500 (NO CABLING) or buy 8 new yamaha powered DSR112 rig for $5,100, I already have 2 of them then I would have ten. These powered speakers are also 10 pounds lighter each and no amp rack required either, saving around another hundred pounds. Looks like things are narrowing down, but still a tough decision...

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2013, 02:39:33 PM »

Thanks, well now I am torn, this used rig for $5,500 (NO CABLING) or buy 8 new yamaha powered DSR112 rig for $5,100, I already have 2 of them then I would have ten. These powered speakers are also 10 pounds lighter each and no amp rack required either, saving around another hundred pounds. Looks like things are narrowing down, but still a tough decision...

Ultimately, what matters is this:  do you need a monitor rig, or do you need a multipurpose box that can fake its way through a gig, playing the wedge?  Since I've not heard the DSR112, I have to ask others "how well does it work as a wedge?"  My first powered monitor experience was as a walk-in engineer and a stage full of Mackie SRM450 that were not up to playing the role of monitors for the show.  I've been gun shy of using or suggesting PA boxes for stage monitors ever since.

I have used the LA212 as wedges on corporate and industrial shows and used them as fills of various types.  They worked, although I thought in stage monitor orientation the "horizontal" coverage was kind of odd sounding to me.  Standing up, they make great fills, work well as SoS.

What makes the most business sense?  How many gigs are you losing because of your current monitor rig?  Do the performers uniformly complain or are there just a couple of whiners?  If you purchase a new monitor rig, can you raise prices on existing customers?  Can you get new, higher paying work with a better monitor rig?  Recognize that neither the LA212 or DSR112 is a monitor and consider what a "more real wedge" will cost.

Ultimately, having a nice speaker on sticks rig will probably make you more money, more consistently, than buying a "real" monitor rig.  The DSR rig comes at an attractive price and is more versatile: mic/line input, simple EQ.  None of that comes with the LA212 no matter its pedigree or how good it might have sounded 10 years ago.

edit time addition:  I see you already have 16 LA400 subs.  With the LA212 you'd have 4 "1 over 2" all EAW rigs but you'd have to repackage your amps to do that.  BTW, what's up with the 16 subs?  You been doing EDM?  At any rate, if you've got $5k burning a hole in your pocket, the Yamaha rig get you more versatility.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 02:47:00 PM by Tim McCulloch »
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2013, 02:39:33 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 25 queries.