ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: EAW LA212 monitor rig  (Read 17358 times)

Brandon Wright

Re: EAW LA212 monitor rig
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2013, 04:41:19 PM »

I haven't used the LA212, but I do routinely work with the SM200. I also work with the DSR112 A LOT. I personally own 6 DSR's and one of the companies I work for has 10. They are a great multi-purpose little box. They sound great, get loud enough, are small, and require very little EQ. Personally, I would have no issues using the DSR's in the same capacity as the SM200's. However, they simply wouldn't fly with A or B listers. Nobody bats an eye at the SM200.

Craig Hauber

• Mondak Sound Design - Plentywood MT/Grenora ND
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2013, 05:50:17 PM »

Just moving up to a large-format HF driver is a considerable step over most of the MI-grade product out there.  EAW puts real effort into their passive crossovers too so not bi-amping them isn't that big a deal if you have adequate power behind them.
Overall I've seen the 212 get much louder and tolerate more "abuse" than the 1" Yamaha boxes or any other of the plastic self-powered multipurpose boxes that others are using at your level.
The need for wedges isn't going away anytime soon, as well as the EAW boxes work good as small mains and stick-speakers too.

I am still growing my company, I currently don't have a high end stage monitor system.

I have powered yamaha wedges and powered eons, a few unpowered eons, and a few unpowered yamahas. I also have a few sennhesier wireless IEM systems.

I was offered an EAW monitor rig, basically 8 EAW LA212 speakers, road ready rack case, and 4 yamaha P7000S amplifiers. To my knowledge, no cabling but possibly negotiable. This was offered at a price of $5,500. The owner says he wants to sell to move to an IEM solution. He does lots of bluegrass, so I assume he still has other monitor systems and isn't going completely away from monitors.

My several questions:
Is it a good idea to invest in a monitor system like this? The price seems very fair!

Are the EAW LA212 still a popular well viewed speaker?

Are monitors still a good place to have money invested with the technology of IEM today? I feel wedges will never go away...

Aside from all this, I think these speakers can do me well in several areas, they are pole mountable, good wedges, and even good for front or side fill. I have currently been saving up to buy a digico SD9 or line array system, this will obviously set me back a little bit, but I feel its a good deal.

I would greatly appreciate advice, as being 21 and starting a business, I must make wise decisions financially. My website is www.creativesoundandlighting.com My equipment list is on there if that would help anyone advise.

Thanks!
Craig Hauber
Mondak Sound Design
-Live PA
-Installs
-Theatre

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2013, 05:55:58 PM »

Just moving up to a large-format HF driver is a considerable step over most of the MI-grade product out there.  EAW puts real effort into their passive crossovers too so not bi-amping them isn't that big a deal if you have adequate power behind them.
Overall I've seen the 212 get much louder and tolerate more "abuse" than the 1" Yamaha boxes or any other of the plastic self-powered multipurpose boxes that others are using at your level.
The need for wedges isn't going away anytime soon, as well as the EAW boxes work good as small mains and stick-speakers too.

Good point about the compression driver.

I have heard biamped LA212s and it was a definite improvement to my ear.  The "cut" seemed better.

Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

john sanders

• Eastern Long Island, N.Y.
    • Sonimax Light & Sound
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2013, 07:19:18 PM »

Am I correct in comparing EAW's LA line to that of JBL"S SX and EV"S QRX?

Nils Erickson

• San Francisco
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2013, 02:42:32 AM »

I also have 8 of these wedges, plus 2 of the LA215s.  I powered them with PLX 3602s, with KT eqs.  They sound really good with very little equalization, and get much louder than any of my clients have ever required (I don't really work with metal acts though).  They are just over 50 lbs, so they aren't back breakers either.

Personally I like the 212s better for wedges.  The only disadvantage I see about both of them (other than riders) is that you can't flip them over to pair them up well because of the shape of the box.

For a drum monitor I sometimes use one of these over a TH-Mini, and it sounds great.  They make good sidefills, a better small PA than most bands have, and I use them as delay speakers for speeches as well.

As others mentioned, the compression driver is a huge step up from every plastic box I have heard. 

As far as pricing goes, I often see them for $700-$750 per box used, so the deal sounds good with amps.  If you can get double duty out of them by using them with those LA subs also, then the deal is even better.

Hope that helps,
Nils

Chris Lave

« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2013, 04:41:54 PM »

The LA212s are an excellent value and you won't be disappointed.  My uses are stage monitors and DJ work.  If the event requires more low end or drum fill, I use the companion LA118. The following features I like, and I own 9:

*The compression driver is a 2 inch B&C (DE75)/EAW 803028, the 12 inch is an eminence/EAW 804051;
*Baltic Birch wood enclosure;
*Passive crossover (single cable run from amp and easy to daisy chain); 
*Flat professional sound out the box (crossover is solid and roadworthy);
*Wave guide at 90 degrees (good coverage for medium to small stages and venues)

I have a few "plastic/plywood" powered boxes ($1k and less) that are horn loaded, but those smaller compression drivers with lightweight enclosure material limit the "performance" to meet a price point. EAW's entry level LA212 at that same price point makes them a good value considering the components and wood enclosure.  I power the 212s with Lab Gruppen or Powersoft, used them indoors, outdoors, fill, etc. Purchased all of mine used, restored them to factory specs (components and wood), even added reticulated foam which gives them a nice modern look.  I'm not servicing acts that have riders so the return on investment has been good for me.       

I am still growing my company, I currently don't have a high end stage monitor system.

I have powered yamaha wedges and powered eons, a few unpowered eons, and a few unpowered yamahas. I also have a few sennhesier wireless IEM systems.

I was offered an EAW monitor rig, basically 8 EAW LA212 speakers, road ready rack case, and 4 yamaha P7000S amplifiers. To my knowledge, no cabling but possibly negotiable. This was offered at a price of $5,500. The owner says he wants to sell to move to an IEM solution. He does lots of bluegrass, so I assume he still has other monitor systems and isn't going completely away from monitors.

My several questions:
Is it a good idea to invest in a monitor system like this? The price seems very fair!

Are the EAW LA212 still a popular well viewed speaker?

Are monitors still a good place to have money invested with the technology of IEM today? I feel wedges will never go away...

Aside from all this, I think these speakers can do me well in several areas, they are pole mountable, good wedges, and even good for front or side fill. I have currently been saving up to buy a digico SD9 or line array system, this will obviously set me back a little bit, but I feel its a good deal.

I would greatly appreciate advice, as being 21 and starting a business, I must make wise decisions financially. My website is www.creativesoundandlighting.com My equipment list is on there if that would help anyone advise.

Thanks!

eric lenasbunt

• Bunt Backline Event Services, LLC
EAW LA212 monitor rig
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2013, 11:00:34 AM »

If it was my company I'd spend money on buying more of the powered yamaha monitors. Having 8 DSR112's and a single powered sub for the drummer would be every bit as good a monitor rig as the LA212's.

+1
We were at a similar decision point not terribly long ago. We opted for more QSC K12 and 153 (as we have QSC stuff already).
I have not lost a gig yet due to these speakers and they are very flexible. I also dry rent them and don't have to worry as much about people blowing them up as I do passive stuff.
  I'm not saying its a bad deal or that you should avoid the LA, I think they are fine speakers, but I don't think it's a deal you can't pass up. Of course if you walk away he might call you in a month with a REALLY good deal.

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2013, 12:25:13 PM »

+1
We were at a similar decision point not terribly long ago. We opted for more QSC K12 and 153 (as we have QSC stuff already).
I have not lost a gig yet due to these speakers and they are very flexible. I also dry rent them and don't have to worry as much about people blowing them up as I do passive stuff.
  I'm not saying its a bad deal or that you should avoid the LA, I think they are fine speakers, but I don't think it's a deal you can't pass up. Of course if you walk away he might call you in a month with a REALLY good deal.
Of course, we're at two months later after the original posting threads, so I'm curious-- what did the OP end up doing?

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2013, 12:25:13 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 24 queries.