ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Stereo Mic for Live Recording, Also CD Recorder, Mic Hanging Questions  (Read 9500 times)

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
Re: Stereo Mic for Live Recording
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2013, 07:39:47 PM »

If the board mix is good you should use that as a base and only blend in enough of the (delayed) mics to create a live feel (if there is a full PA mix that is)
I would think that a spaced omni setup would not work very good, unless outdoors, or in a very well damped room.
You could try running your VP88 in M/S mode and get an external M/S matrix. This would enable you to control te stereo width during recording.

Jens.....

You have to delay the board feed TO the stereo mic in the house, not the other way around.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Jens Palm Bacher

• Lydfabrikken
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2013, 05:14:49 AM »

Jens.....

You have to delay the board feed TO the stereo mic in the house, not the other way around.
Yeah, brainfart.  :o

Roland Clarke

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2013, 08:09:49 AM »

If the board mix is good you should use that as a base and only blend in enough of the (delayed) mics to create a live feel (if there is a full PA mix that is)
I would think that a spaced omni setup would not work very good, unless outdoors, or in a very well damped room.
You could try running your VP88 in M/S mode and get an external M/S matrix. This would enable you to control te stereo width during recording.

+1 on this.  Being an MS microphone I suspect you are getting a little too much width on the wide setting, running it in MS mode to the recorder and using an external matrix "should" help.  One thing to bear in mind with MS microphones, is that because of the way the capsules are orientated, in spite of all the technical descriptions telling you that in equal amounts they are providing you with a cross pair of hypercardoids, they don't actually sound like that.  MS stends to give you a good facsimile of the "sound" of the room, crossed pairs tend not too. 

All that being said, if you still can't get what you are looking for, a crossed pair might be a better solution, giving you a more "front" sound.

Jerome Malsack

Re: Stereo Mic for Live Recording, Also CD Recorder, Mic Hanging Questions
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2013, 11:51:47 AM »

Another question would be when doing the FOH is this true stereo output?? 

Or is this a mono only system??

Chris Buford

• SR Forums
  • Richmond, VA
    • My Website
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2013, 10:53:40 PM »

Any other suggestions for either a good stereo mic, or a decca tree arrangement?  I have the Shure 14' stand that any mic/mics would be attached to.  Willing to spend $ on good omnis if needed.

Thanks as always for the responses.

Dave

I use a Rode NT4 stereo mic combined with a delayed board feed with good success.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2013, 10:53:40 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 23 queries.