ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: SPL vs spectrum analyser  (Read 3063 times)

James Joll

SPL vs spectrum analyser
« on: May 19, 2013, 02:59:57 PM »

Hello guys,
I am a newbie electronic hobbyist. Recently I am planning to build a sound level detector. I need to do a project to check for ambient sound level, and if a sound abnormally exceeds that sound level it starts flashing a LED.
NOW since it is my first sound project I want to know that, Do I need to build a Sound pressure Level meter or spectrum analyzer. Which one generally measures sound loudness (I know loudness is a complicated topic, and please ignore A-weighting effect.)
Based on what I have read so far we can use both devices to kinda measure loudness in environment, right? I just want to detect I am a little confused.
thanks in advance

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Re: SPL vs spectrum analyser
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2013, 03:05:13 PM »

Hello guys,
I am a newbie electronic hobbyist.

Please go to your profile and change the "Name" field to your real first and last name as required by the posting rules displayed in the header at the top of the section, and in the Site Rules and Suggestions in the Forum Announcements section, and on the registration page when you registered.

Mac

Arthur Skudra

• SR Forums
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2013, 04:07:19 PM »

Hello guys,
I am a newbie electronic hobbyist. Recently I am planning to build a sound level detector. I need to do a project to check for ambient sound level, and if a sound abnormally exceeds that sound level it starts flashing a LED.
NOW since it is my first sound project I want to know that, Do I need to build a Sound pressure Level meter or spectrum analyzer. Which one generally measures sound loudness (I know loudness is a complicated topic, and please ignore A-weighting effect.)
Based on what I have read so far we can use both devices to kinda measure loudness in environment, right? I just want to detect I am a little confused.
thanks in advance
No need to reinvent the wheel when commercially available products are so inexpensive:
http://www.studiosixdigital.com/
Check out their RTA and SPL traffic light apps.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2013, 04:07:19 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 24 queries.