ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Podium with a LCD/LED screen?  (Read 4954 times)

Adam Wh3tham

• Grand Forks, ND
Podium with a LCD/LED screen?
« on: March 06, 2013, 10:35:12 AM »

OK, so at my work we're on the lookout for a new Podium with an integrated LED/LCD screen into the top slant. The idea is to have it behind some scratch resistant plexi or what have you, then have some space underneath to mount a small thinclient that we can push media too. The powers that be don't like the look of laptops/monitors sticking up and want a sleek presentable look.

I'm familiar with HSA products, but I'm wondering if there are any company's that sell a podium of this sort. (I guess I would have thought this request wouldn't be out of the ordinary now days with how many people have powerpoints.

Anyone have any leads on something of this nature? Or is this better to be a custom build with a local cabinet maker?
I practice safe excursion on the weekends

Ryan Peacher

• Charlottesville, VA
    • Ryan Peacher
Re: Podium with a LCD/LED screen?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 11:34:20 AM »

OK, so at my work we're on the lookout for a new Podium with an integrated LED/LCD screen into the top slant. The idea is to have it behind some scratch resistant plexi or what have you, then have some space underneath to mount a small thinclient that we can push media too. The powers that be don't like the look of laptops/monitors sticking up and want a sleek presentable look.

I'm familiar with HSA products, but I'm wondering if there are any company's that sell a podium of this sort. (I guess I would have thought this request wouldn't be out of the ordinary now days with how many people have powerpoints.

Anyone have any leads on something of this nature? Or is this better to be a custom build with a local cabinet maker?

I am currently designing something similar to this for the podium we have at out theater... Still in the sketching phase, but I'll show you what I have when it's mocked up...

We are pushing SDI to our monitor, so we have to hide a converter nox under the display too...

The plan is to remove the LCD panel from its bezel and such, and mount it on the backside of the cutout, with plexi over it for a smooth surface like you mentioned...

I'll post what becomes of this as soon as our theater decides to move with my ideas...

Good Luck!
---------------
Ryan Peacher | Freelance Engineer/Technician
T- 434.989.9843 | E- [email protected] | W- www.ryanpeacher.me

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 03:33:15 PM »

Okay, I'll be the troublemaker but you stand on a podium and at a lectern, so want you probably want is a lectern.

I have run into a few issues with lecterns with displays flush in or recessed below the surface.  One is that since the display often fills much of the work surface people end up covering up the display with papers, notes, briefcases, tablets and iPads, etc.  Another is glare on the display.  Viewing angles can also be an issue particularly if you have a pull-out drawer for a mouse and keyboard as you then end up some distance back from the display.

You might want to look at http://intelligentlecterns.com/ils_main/lecterns.html

Adam Wh3tham

• Grand Forks, ND
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2013, 04:37:31 PM »

Okay, I'll be the troublemaker but you stand on a podium and at a lectern, so want you probably want is a lectern.

I have run into a few issues with lecterns with displays flush in or recessed below the surface.  One is that since the display often fills much of the work surface people end up covering up the display with papers, notes, briefcases, tablets and iPads, etc.  Another is glare on the display.  Viewing angles can also be an issue particularly if you have a pull-out drawer for a mouse and keyboard as you then end up some distance back from the display.

You might want to look at http://intelligentlecterns.com/ils_main/lecterns.html.

Very true Brad, I always misuse those words.

Thank you for the link. That gives me some more design options/thoughts to take in.

We are aware of the issues with items on the lectern. Ideally there will be a pull out drawer for mouse and keyboard, but not used by the presenter as all the decks are loaded from FOH area. The presenter forwards with a clicker right now already, so we'd keep that aspect.
I practice safe excursion on the weekends

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2013, 04:37:31 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 23 queries.