ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: What Android phone apps should I get?  (Read 5763 times)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: What Android phone apps should I get?
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2013, 01:39:31 AM »

Tim, not to hijack the thread... Seems like wind events, sometimes connected with storms, sometimes not, are a real problem for outdoor, summer festivals.  What is being used to get early warning of sudden wind events?  All I've found is http://hint.fm/wind/ .Great for seeing what is going on, but not really useful for any type of prediction.

frank

The best data is from areas surrounding airports with wind shear detection systems and TDWR, and NOAA has a new terrestrial wind product that is based on satellite observations.  Nothing "app-level" yet.

That said, Pykl3 Radar can be configured to display a wide variety of watches, warnings and special weather conditions.  The problem with any service that uses common carriers (like cellphone data or public wifi) is that when the weather starts looking iffy, everyone starts using data.  And then nobody has data.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 01:44:25 AM by Tim McCulloch »
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Michael Robertson

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2013, 06:50:01 AM »

I use rta pro. The paid version lets you calibrate and change the number of bands. Is it perfect, no, but it sure is handy.
AV tools is good.
A good scientific calculator
Box
Tapatalk
Tasker

Sent from my Motorola Galaxy s3 using Tapatalk 2

Kevin McDonough

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2013, 08:29:27 AM »

hey

I've found Audio Tool to be fairly handy.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.julian.apps.AudioTool&hl=en

While you wouldnt obviously trust the built in mic on a phone for anything mission critical or anything, the SPL meter is good for ballpark figures once you set it roughly to match a meter, the RTA is good enough for picking out feedback frequencies when ringing out wedges, and its got a good selection of different options in the tone/noise generator.

Ultimate Guitar Tools
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ultimateguitar.tools&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS51bHRpbWF0ZWd1aXRhci50b29scyJd

Much like the drum key that constantly lives as a keyring on my keys so I've always got it with me, something like this also comes in handy in a pinch as a guitar tuner when your working with less pro acts who forget/break/cant use theirs.

k

Matt Collins

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2013, 10:28:18 AM »

The best data is from areas surrounding airports with wind shear detection systems and TDWR, and NOAA has a new terrestrial wind product that is based on satellite observations.  Nothing "app-level" yet.

That said, Pykl3 Radar can be configured to display a wide variety of watches, warnings and special weather conditions.  The problem with any service that uses common carriers (like cellphone data or public wifi) is that when the weather starts looking iffy, everyone starts using data.  And then nobody has data.

For weather, the best that I have found is WeatherTap (but on the computer, not the phone). It's $7/month but gives you access to ALL of the radar data, the same level data that the news and NOAA gets. 

It has saved me a few times - www.WeatherTap.com

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2013, 08:22:05 PM »

For weather, the best that I have found is WeatherTap (but on the computer, not the phone).

The best weather radar software out there is Gibson Ridge Level 2 or Level 3 are both $79. The Level 2 is a data hog, and only really used by people who are uber nerds about high resolution weather radar. GR Level 3 should be more than enough for most people in our industry. They both allow you to access all of the NWS NexRad weather radars all over the country. That said, I run GR Level 2, just because :)

On Mobile devices, Pykl3 or Radar Scope (which is available on either iDevices or Android) , both give you rel time access to the NexRad Level 3 data.
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2013, 08:22:05 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 25 queries.