ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: turntables  (Read 8574 times)

Craig Hauber

• Mondak Sound Design - Plentywood MT/Grenora ND
turntables
« on: February 03, 2013, 01:37:33 PM »

For a new install, what do you use if the customer wants a set of turntables along with the normal CDJ's and DJM's I spec?

-Looks like I can't find any new 1200's anymore?

most everybody uses them for Serato setups anyways, is there a Numark/Vestax/stanton equivalent that acceptable?

As a designer/installer I really don't want to waste time sourcing good used ones, is this something I should back away from? 
(I try to make everything easy and one-stop shopping for my clients)
Craig Hauber
Mondak Sound Design
-Live PA
-Installs
-Theatre

Nate Armstrong

Re: turntables
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 11:24:42 AM »

regretfully, nothing other than a model in  the Technics 1200  series. 

Steve Milner

• DcSoundOp Audio Blog
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 01:09:51 PM »

B&H is still carrying the 1200Mk2 ... and of course the 1210 is available.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/665703-REG/Technics_SL_1200MK2_Professional_DJ_Turntable.html

Surely, there is someone out there selling the 1200 for a slightly less obscene price then B&H... OTOH... maybe that's what they go for these days... it's been maybe 10 years since I've been in the market for anything more then a dry rental to fill a rider.

Daniel Maki

• Living Jukebox DJ Service
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 05:31:58 PM »

Arguing about whether one of the other brands/models are an acceptable alternative to a Technics is a favorite past time of DJ's all over the world.  You are better off not going down that road and just accepting the idea that only Technics is acceptable.  For a part time/bedroom DJ something else is acceptable to get started at least.  But when DJ's walk into a club/etc they expect to see Technics. Period.

There are tons of used ones out there at least.  It might be worth going down the road of full refurb/customized ones from a reputable seller.  No need to get too fancy though, it has more to do with their being competently refurbished (pitch fader, tonearm, clean, lube, maybe internal ground).  I'd stay away from AYCustoms based on some things I've heard.

John Livings

• Los Angeles, California
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2013, 07:08:30 PM »

Maybe check here; (If these are the same?)

http://popular.ebay.com/consumer-electronics/technics/technics-sl-1200mk2.htm

Regards,  John

Marlow Wilson

• Ottawa/Montreal CAN
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2013, 10:30:00 PM »

... is this something I should back away from? 

I would say yes.  There's no really easy solution and from a business perspective it may not be worth your while trying to get them what they really need unless you can find a nice pair BNIB.

You haven't described the venue, but there are some places where I think Vestax would be okay (I know some clothing stores, restaurants, coffee shops, etc that use them).  Even small clubs with 'resident' DJ's doing 95% of the work get away with them.  The kind of place they would NOT be okay is a venue that expects to bring in outside/touring DJ's with any regularity.

We own dozens of pairs of 1200's and have replaced every piece you can imagine.  Many parts are cheap and easy, but if buying used I think you always have to assume the tonearm is bent or bearings shot and in need of replacement.  These aren't cheap. 

Many 1200's have been very abused, so I'd caution against becoming a middleman in any used transaction.  Most DJ's don't even know how to properly test the tonearm bearings (they will feel smooth but won't necessarily track perfectly).  Slightly bent tonearms can also be very difficult to spot without removal.  I've even seen cracked tonearms that have been epoxied back together and then sold to unwitting buyers.  For an individual, I'd almost recommend buying a pair of turntables that are clean but have broken tonearms.  By replacing them yourself you at least know what you are getting!

I know a couple techs who work on 1200's almost exclusively and if I was in your shoes I would find a local and reputable third party to buy from if going the used route is absolutely necessary. 

If you are really stuck let me know.  We have 6-10 M3d's that are practically brand new and still have most of the shipping boxes/foam/dustcovers as well.  It wouldn't be the cheapest, but the good stuff never is  ;).

Craig Hauber

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2013, 04:00:17 PM »

Not dealing with any particular venue,  I just design-install clubs nationwide and usually provide a "starter" turnkey rig -2 CDJ's and a DJM of whatever the current popular flavor is along with a serato box and pair of turntables.  Even if it's a larger house with guest DJ's every night, they still need something for the starters, local guys or private events.  And when I was running clubs last year even the visiting DJ's would use the house CDJ's or mixer if they met their rider.
I'm thinking of just providing the CDJ's and letting the client figure out turntables on their own if needed.
(I was also thinking of the future and not right now when they are still kind-of available.)

Thanks for the replies, it helped cement my opinion that there really isn't a replacement for the 1200-series too

I would say yes.  There's no really easy solution and from a business perspective it may not be worth your while trying to get them what they really need unless you can find a nice pair BNIB.

You haven't described the venue, but there are some places where I think Vestax would be okay (I know some clothing stores, restaurants, coffee shops, etc that use them).  Even small clubs with 'resident' DJ's doing 95% of the work get away with them.  The kind of place they would NOT be okay is a venue that expects to bring in outside/touring DJ's with any regularity.

We own dozens of pairs of 1200's and have replaced every piece you can imagine.  Many parts are cheap and easy, but if buying used I think you always have to assume the tonearm is bent or bearings shot and in need of replacement.  These aren't cheap. 

Many 1200's have been very abused, so I'd caution against becoming a middleman in any used transaction.  Most DJ's don't even know how to properly test the tonearm bearings (they will feel smooth but won't necessarily track perfectly).  Slightly bent tonearms can also be very difficult to spot without removal.  I've even seen cracked tonearms that have been epoxied back together and then sold to unwitting buyers.  For an individual, I'd almost recommend buying a pair of turntables that are clean but have broken tonearms.  By replacing them yourself you at least know what you are getting!

I know a couple techs who work on 1200's almost exclusively and if I was in your shoes I would find a local and reputable third party to buy from if going the used route is absolutely necessary. 

If you are really stuck let me know.  We have 6-10 M3d's that are practically brand new and still have most of the shipping boxes/foam/dustcovers as well.  It wouldn't be the cheapest, but the good stuff never is  ;).
Craig Hauber
Mondak Sound Design
-Live PA
-Installs
-Theatre

Tracy Garner

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2013, 08:13:29 PM »

For a new install, what do you use if the customer wants a set of turntables along with the normal CDJ's and DJM's I spec?

most everybody uses them for Serato setups anyways, is there a Numark/Vestax/stanton equivalent that acceptable?

As a designer/installer I really don't want to waste time sourcing good used ones, is this something I should back away from? 
(I try to make everything easy and one-stop shopping for my clients)

LOTS of companies that repair turntables are also selling old 1200s refurbished with upgraded components that are actually better than the day they rolled out of the factory in terms or motor torque, RCA jacks, ground wire removed, choice of LED colors, choice of straight or S tone-arm. These custom units are less than the cost of new and are far better quality. The repair shops will actually build you a nice pair with a custom paint job and still come in less than new retail cost.

CDJ 2000 over 1000 these days if you can...
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 08:17:01 PM by Tracy Garner »

Stephen Snipes

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2013, 12:52:45 AM »

I own 4 1200mk2 and bought them all used.  Had both set refurbed even though they didn't really need it.  Switched the tone arms, rca, and have them internally grounded.  I love both sets and don't plan to ever sell them.  As a DJ when I walk into any venue that says they have turntables I expect to see 1200s and if I don't I take mine out and just set theirs to the side. 

Craig Hauber

turntables
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2013, 03:11:46 PM »

Therein lies the issue:

How does one convince a club owner to buy costly gear when the DJ's just bring their own anyways?

:-)

Craig Hauber
Mondak Sound Design
-Live PA
-Installs
-Theatre

ProSoundWeb Community

turntables
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2013, 03:11:46 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 21 queries.