ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 1U power amp for Avalon U5/Bergantino 4x10 rig  (Read 5214 times)

Nikku Nayar

1U power amp for Avalon U5/Bergantino 4x10 rig
« on: February 23, 2013, 03:38:02 AM »

Hi guys

I know this isn't a bass forum but a) I'm not getting anywhere with retail music store types and b) I always end up hanging with the engineers on gigs anyhow ; )

I recently grabbed an Avalon U5 DI/Preamp and I want to run it live into my Bergantino 4 x10. Since it's 2U, I'd like to find a 1U power amp. My Berg requires 700watts into 4 ohms. I have done a lot of searching but the only thing I can find that I know is pro-approved is the Powersoft stuff, but they don't seem to make anything small enough for me, and buying one of their $2800 2 x 2000W units seems like overkill.

There's some underpowered retail stuff like Behringer available but I'm not interested.

Is there anything I'm missing? Does anyone have a recommendation for a 1U unit that is around 13" deep - I have one of the standard depth Gator soft shell rack cases that usually house bass heads etc.

Once again, I realize these forums aren't normally for bass gear questions. Thanks for any advice you may have.

Lee Douglas

• 47.662615, -116.756954
Re: 1U power amp for Avalon U5/Bergantino 4x10 rig
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013, 12:19:23 PM »

I was thinking of one of Peavey's older offerings, the DECA 528, but it's to deep and not bridgeable.  It seems to me that a larger rack would drastically open up your options for amplifiers and, in the long run, probably be a less expensive way to go.
This space for rent

Nikku Nayar

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 02:54:00 PM »

I was thinking of one of Peavey's older offerings, the DECA 528, but it's to deep and not bridgeable.  It seems to me that a larger rack would drastically open up your options for amplifiers and, in the long run, probably be a less expensive way to go.
Right, okay. I am definitely read to grab a deeper rack if there's nothing available in the smaller form factor.

If depth isn't an issue, is there a 1U unit that comes to mind?

David Morison

• SR Forums
  • Aberdeen, Scotland
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2013, 03:34:19 PM »

I recently grabbed an Avalon U5 DI/Preamp and I want to run it live into my Bergantino 4 x10. Since it's 2U, I'd like to find a 1U power amp. My Berg requires 700watts into 4 ohms. I have done a lot of searching but the only thing I can find that I know is pro-approved is the Powersoft stuff, but they don't seem to make anything small enough for me, and buying one of their $2800 2 x 2000W units seems like overkill.

How about the M14D from Powersoft - that's 700W @ 4Ohms and (at least here in Europe) a lot less than $2800 (equivalent)

If you still want more options, Matrix's XT800 would just be a couple of dB shy of the power rating of your cab, so not too bad a mismatch in all likelihood (using just one of its channels that is).
If you'd rather err on the high side, power wise, one channel of a PKN LC2002 would be 1.5dB more than the cab's rating.

NB - have not actually used any of the above, just flagging up stuff with close enough power ratings in your preferred form factor.

A quick note about power ratings in general - it's highly unlikely the Berg requires 700W as you said - that's more likely the maximum power it can handle for some specific period of time. It only actually requires as much power as it takes to get loud enough for your particular gigs, which could be a lot less. Also,  the 2dB margin to the lowest powered of the amps I've suggested is probably not enough of a difference to be noticeable without really careful comparison, so I wouldn't bother with the higher rated stuff if I were you. (Not to mention the PKN would force you into a deeper rack too  ;))
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 03:35:50 PM by David Morison »

Nikku Nayar

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2013, 03:55:48 PM »

How about the M14D from Powersoft - that's 700W @ 4Ohms and (at least here in Europe) a lot less than $2800 (equivalent)

A quick note about power ratings in general - it's highly unlikely the Berg requires 700W as you said - that's more likely the maximum power it can handle for some specific period of time. It only actually requires as much power as it takes to get loud enough for your particular gigs, which could be a lot less. Also,  the 2dB margin to the lowest powered of the amps I've suggested is probably not enough of a difference to be noticeable without really careful comparison, so I wouldn't bother with the higher rated stuff if I were you. (Not to mention the PKN would force you into a deeper rack too  ;))
Hi and thanks a lot for taking the time to make that response. I did see the M14D but unfortunately, to get it delivered to my door here in Canada, it's going to be >$2000 when everything is said and done including duty and taxes. I'll do it if I have to but would like to see if there's another way.

Re: power ratings, I think I have a superstitious view. I've always had this idea that I need to provide cabinets with lots of clean power. As in, way more than I'm actually using. On club stages I never run my M6 Carbine anywhere even close to its limits and even on bigger stages, I just don't do the type of gigs that require huge volume levels. I'd be happy if I knew that I could back off a bit on the power requirement because it would bring into play a couple of 1U units that I had dismissed. In fact I did attenuate the requirement a bit in my OP; the cabinet actually says 800w into 4 ohms.

I'll keep what you said in mind. Thanks again.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 03:58:26 PM by Nikku Nayar »

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2013, 04:25:23 PM »

In the long run you'll be ahead of the game if you purchase a rack that will handle a 2U amplifier. Doing so opens the door to unlimited choices, such as those from QSC which should be available in your area at a much lower cost.

http://www.qscaudio.com/products/products.htm#Amplifier_Models

BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Nikku Nayar

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2013, 07:31:52 PM »

In the long run you'll be ahead of the game if you purchase a rack that will handle a 2U amplifier. Doing so opens the door to unlimited choices, such as those from QSC which should be available in your area at a much lower cost.

Thanks for the link. Yes, I'm starting to figure out that gigging with the Avalon will mean carrying a 4U rack. I guess what I'll do is carry them separately for a few gigs and then buy a bigger rack if the Avalon is working for me.

Lee Douglas

• 47.662615, -116.756954
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2013, 03:48:53 AM »

Thanks, Bob.  That was the point I was trying to make.
This space for rent

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2013, 03:48:53 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 23 queries.