ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Super Capacitor  (Read 6087 times)

Stu McDoniel

• Central Wisconsin...USA
Super Capacitor
« on: February 19, 2013, 04:01:55 PM »

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
Re: Super Capacitor
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 04:14:47 PM »

Very nice.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Tim Perry

• Utica-Rome NY

Dennis Wiggins

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2013, 06:15:32 PM »

This remindes me of when I was attending DeVry Tech in 1969.  My "experiment" was to make a large capacitor, using 3 large sheets of glass, a roll of aluminum foil, and about 90V DC.  I mostly wanted to see just how loud a "snap" I could make when I shorted it.  Fortunately for all, the instructor came over and stopped my experiment.  I shudder to think of what could have happened!

-Dennis
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 07:15:28 PM by Dennis Wiggins »

Mike Christy

• Southern Maine
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2013, 06:47:29 PM »

Let's make a super crossover!

Tim Perry

• Utica-Rome NY
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2013, 09:01:15 PM »

Let's make a super crossover!

what is the design parameter?

Randall Hyde

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2013, 04:20:10 PM »

This is cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtM6XJlynkk

There are so many things wrong with this video....

Can you imagine how thick the feeder cable would have to be in order to charge something like a Tesla S in a minute or so? (85 KWH battery pack. That'd be 5,100 KW minutes; so you'd have to pump in 5,100 KW for one minute for that suggested charge cycle assuming, of course, 100% conversion efficiency; My trailer-mounted generator puts out 60KVA, so imagine what it would take to produce 5.1GW to charge that Tesla [yeah, I know, a pair of Mr. Fusions, assuming each is capable of 2.21 "jiga" watts :)]).

It's cool that the supercap ran the LED for five minutes after "a couple seconds" charge. But what was the current? I see it's a 50% duty cycle, so it's really about two-and-a-half minutes, not five (assuming the duty cycle is even 50%).

Supercaps are great storage devices, but this video way oversteps the bounds of what reasonable and safe to do in the real world.
Cheers,
Randy Hyde
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 04:21:53 PM by Randall Hyde »

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2013, 07:19:26 PM »

I am not smart enough to know how close this is to being practical. We seem to forget or ignore the energy density of gasoline. A "Super" super-cap is nicer than a "Super" battery for some of the reasons they listed (less scary chemistry to worry about, still some pretty scary physics). 

The recent grounding of the new Boeing dream liner fleet because of a battery problem, was more specifically a fire caused by an un-intended release of energy from that battery when a cell shorted out accidentally. A super capacitor could suffer the same catastrophic sudden discharge from a fault. Yes Virginia capacitors can short too. 

Good for them, running a high efficiency LED for a few minutes is nice, but that same LED could run from a AA battery for hours, maybe a day.   

While a capacitor can be charged much faster than a battery there will still be practical limits since you need to put a gas tank's worth of electrical energy into it in a matter of minutes. That is a lot of electrons and holes to push through some wires. They could do a trick similar to the high tension mains distribution power lines to step up and step down the voltage at the charging station to reduce current flow in the high voltage section, but UL may have an opinion about letting humans handle plugs with that much voltage. 

clip---- deleted rant about govt subsidies for EV development and purchase--/clip

I still think the most promising EV approach for densely populated areas is to figure out how to energize the road surface, so the cars don't need so much energy storage capacity and can be made much lighter. On a larger scale if major highways were energized, even current EV battery technology could top themselves off when traveling unlimited distances on the interstate, and only need batteries (or whatever) for the last miles, to get them from the exit to the mall and back to the interstate again.

JR

Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Mike Christy

• Southern Maine
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2013, 08:04:27 PM »

what is the design parameter?

128db/oct   ;D

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
Re: Re: Super Capacitor
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2013, 08:18:13 PM »

There are so many things wrong with this video....

Can you imagine how thick the feeder cable would have to be in order to charge something like a Tesla S in a minute or so? (85 KWH battery pack. That'd be 5,100 KW minutes; so you'd have to pump in 5,100 KW for one minute for that suggested charge cycle assuming, of course, 100% conversion efficiency; My trailer-mounted generator puts out 60KVA, so imagine what it would take to produce 5.1GW to charge that Tesla [yeah, I know, a pair of Mr. Fusions, assuming each is capable of 2.21 "jiga" watts :)]).

It's cool that the supercap ran the LED for five minutes after "a couple seconds" charge. But what was the current? I see it's a 50% duty cycle, so it's really about two-and-a-half minutes, not five (assuming the duty cycle is even 50%).

Supercaps are great storage devices, but this video way oversteps the bounds of what reasonable and safe to do in the real world.
Cheers,
Randy Hyde

+1

I was thinking the same thing last night when I first saw this post (although without any hard numbers to back it up).

Sent from my Milestone X using Tapatalk 2

ProSoundWeb Community

Re: Re: Super Capacitor
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2013, 08:18:13 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 22 queries.