ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Digico SD8 updates, v532 vs v573?  (Read 6902 times)

Josh Bessom

• Lazy Preacher
Digico SD8 updates, v532 vs v573?
« on: February 15, 2013, 05:20:05 PM »

Can anyone tell me what's changed from v532 to v573?
Digico doesn't even bother with release notes on their website.

Then again, they're behind in a lot of ways.  My $3000 Behringer has an offline editor for Mac, PC, Linux, and a fairly extensive iPad remote app, all of which network directly with the board via portable wifi router.  For any kind of remote activity with the digi I have to run a PC only offline editor in VMWare on my Mac via Ethernet, and screen share that with my iPad? Functional, but generally a horrible experience.  This is 2013 Digico, not 2001.

That's my rant.

Cheers-

Jens Palm Bacher

• Lydfabrikken
Re: Digico SD8 updates, v532 vs v573?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2013, 05:55:52 PM »

SD8 Overdrive 2 Software v573 Release Notes
New Features v532 – v573
New HD-SDI card type supported for SD Rack, SD MiniRack and SD Nano Rack.
Std MADI ports can now be set in Audio IO to run in either “SMUX” or “Hi-Speed” MADI Format when running at
96K.
Errors Fixed since v532
Restructuring a session using Default All was causing incorrect Group Buss numbers – If you restructured a
session that has less Mono Groups than the default structure for the console by using the Restructure panel
DEFAULT ALL button you may end up with an incorrect number of Group Busses and possibly a mono Master
Buss
If Aux 1 was set to stereo, adjusting Aux1’s pan in Aux Expanded view would cause the pan control to jump to one
side rather than moving smoothly.
Saving a Presets file would clear the Session title.
When input meters were set to Pre Trim, FX being returned into Stereo channels were displaying the Left signal on
both left and right meters.
The Update Waves button the in Snapshot Panel was not being mirrored to other Consoles.
When inserting a new snapshot in a session created in v443 with certain FX combinations could cause an Access
Violation
When changing to a bank with no channel selected, the surface controls could be wrongly assigned possibly
resulting in an Access Violation when a controller was adjusted.

Then again, they're behind in a lot of ways.  My $3000 Behringer has an offline editor for Mac, PC, Linux, and a fairly extensive iPad remote app, all of which network directly with the board via portable wifi router.  For any kind of remote activity with the digi I have to run a PC only offline editor in VMWare on my Mac via Ethernet, and screen share that with my iPad? Functional, but generally a horrible experience.  This is 2013 Digico, not 2001.

That's my rant.

Cheers-

Josh Bessom

• Lazy Preacher
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2013, 09:09:40 PM »

THANK YOU!  :)

Adam Robinson

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2013, 11:49:59 PM »

That's my rant.

Cheers-

It's 2013 and I've been virtualizing Windows on my Mac for successfully for years to use the offline editors for many manufacturers, including Digico.  The best remote experience I've had when I've had Digico desks out on tour was with a windows tablet.  The software lends itself well to using a pen.  I would love to see more manufacturers (Digico included) adopt iPad remote software, but in the meantime I'll take the other advancements I get with a Digico console over this kind of remote.  There is no comparison of an SD8 to the Behringer desk.  They are in quite different leagues, and looking beyond the iPad remote app, Digico is definitely part of 2013 technology.

Josh Bessom

• Lazy Preacher
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2013, 02:46:53 AM »

I have no other need for a windows tablet, but I get it.  I'm not arguing the digi isn't an awesome console, it definitely is.  The behringer comparison was mostly about the price comparison.  A very inexpensive mixer is considerably easier to use remote with an iPad, or with Mac, and that's not ok.  Certainly this is something digico could address.

Steve Ferreira

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2013, 08:39:57 PM »

Midas doesn't have a PC editor, only a mac editor for Pro series.

It's easier to run windows on a mac then the other way around.

Chip Sciacca

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2013, 09:16:52 PM »

Digico spent the money where it counts! I use my motion tablet running a very stable XP for Lake, Smaart, and all my console offline editors which keeps my mac free for playback or Qlab or recording.
Tech Support Engineer
Group One Ltd.
DiGiCo USA
Klang USA

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2013, 09:16:52 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 20 queries.