ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: time delay opinions please  (Read 7605 times)

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
Re: time delay opinions please
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2013, 01:06:17 PM »

Hadn't thought of that! Nice :)My delay idea is based on this concept so maybe less than 35 ms would be better.
You are actually looking at wanting the sound from the center array to arrive within 10-30ms after and within probably 10-12dB of the sound from the monitor.  Assuming the monitor is 5' from the talker and the array maybe 75' or 80' away (since it is probably overhead which adds to the path length) then that would seem to relate to something like 32ms to 56ms of additional delay being desired.

As Ivan referenced, don't forget the other side of this.  How directional is your monitor and how absorptive the wall behind the talker or might some of the audience be perceiving the monitor sound as an echo and/or detrimental to intelligibility?

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2013, 01:21:56 PM »

A small (preferably tight-pattern) monitor situated on the lectern could possibly help with monitor bleed to the audience near the lectern (not sure if that is an issue). The monitor wouldn't have to be very loud 2' from the speakers head.

I still think 30ms of delay in the monitors is going to be worse than the 70ms delay to the mains, thats getting to the range of confusion rather than obvious echo.  0-delay and a little verb in the monitors is interesting.

It may be fairly easy to approximate the delay and verb effects in a 'shop test' with a small digital console and 2 speakers, of course you won't get the 'really long' boundary reflections from the venue. If you had a DAW and an impulse response recorded at the lectern location, Sam's your uncle.
Mark McFarlane

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2013, 01:38:57 PM »

how absorptive the wall behind the talker
Thick velour drape so reflection won't be a problem.

I will try some of these suggestions and post the results.
Thanks for all the input.
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2013, 02:05:57 PM »

Thick velour drape so reflection won't be a problem.
At least you have one thing working in your favor!

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2013, 04:48:58 PM »

Two PAs, one for the speech, one for the show. Speakers by the lectern facing out, use the arrays that face away from the lectern as delays for the speech portion.
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2013, 07:16:48 AM »

Two PAs, one for the speech, one for the show. Speakers by the lectern facing out, use the arrays that face away from the lectern as delays for the speech portion.
A good solution, as mentioned in an earlier post, but doesn't actually answer the question asked.

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2013, 07:18:15 AM »

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to contribute.
This is why I like this site :)

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2013, 07:18:15 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 25 queries.