ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Yet another console purchase market research question ( or two )  (Read 2899 times)

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
Yet another console purchase market research question ( or two )
« on: February 19, 2013, 03:01:15 PM »

I am looking into killing a couple of inventory birds in the coming months.  I need to add a console with rider acceptability and I need to add a digital snake option to my inventory for a number of corporate events that require cable installs that large analog snakes won't cover.  Two options are somewhat near to hand.  A Yamaha CL5 has attractive snake options with the DANTE multiple and extendable RIO boxes and plays well in the corporate world but has unknown rider juju.  A Digico SD8 has a somewhat less flexible snake architecture in the MADI BNC version but has presumeably as good or better play than either a 5D or a Venue Profile for touring music engineers. 

Are there options in the MADI BNC snake that permit extending that format without going over entirely to fiber?  Are CL5s getting enough traction that they are accepted in place of a 5D or a Profile?  If the band you tour with does the occasional corporate on-off which would you rather see at sound check?

Chip Sciacca

Re: Yet another console purchase market research question ( or two )
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 03:23:05 PM »

http://www.digico.biz/docs2/about/solutions_lineup.shtml

there are options from digico to go from any of their desks to any of their racks and back.
Tech Support Engineer
Group One Ltd.
DiGiCo USA
Klang USA

Chris Wintz

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 04:31:51 PM »

I am looking into killing a couple of inventory birds in the coming months.  I need to add a console with rider acceptability and I need to add a digital snake option to my inventory for a number of corporate events that require cable installs that large analog snakes won't cover.  Two options are somewhat near to hand.  A Yamaha CL5 has attractive snake options with the DANTE multiple and extendable RIO boxes and plays well in the corporate world but has unknown rider juju.  A Digico SD8 has a somewhat less flexible snake architecture in the MADI BNC version but has presumeably as good or better play than either a 5D or a Venue Profile for touring music engineers. 

Are there options in the MADI BNC snake that permit extending that format without going over entirely to fiber?  Are CL5s getting enough traction that they are accepted in place of a 5D or a Profile?  If the band you tour with does the occasional corporate on-off which would you rather see at sound check?

It's too soon to tell if the CL5 is going to pick-up like the PM5D did as far as rider friendliness. We've had it in stock for awhile now and have seen it go out on small tours and one-offs. If it continues to follow Yamaha's historic reliability then it should become a great console. It's also prettyhandy whenever you are worried about seat-kills, it's foot print it much more shallow than the M7CL.

I would be surprised to find a band that didn't accept a CL5 instead of an M7CL, but I could see them getting wonky if you asked to put one in place of a PM5D.

Isn't Yamaha doing the Test Drive program right now? You should hook up with your local vendor and take one out for a few days and see for yourself!

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2013, 07:57:15 PM »

I've got a demo lined up with both consoles but I'm reaching out to the larger universe because I learned long ago that my satisfaction with a piece of rental inventory counts far less that that of my customers.  ;D

I think I've only seen one rider that listed an M7 as acceptable in the six years that we've owned one.  The console earns its keep but not by meeting touring act riders. I'm looking for something that will stand in the market at least where the 5D is.  Pretty sure the SD8 will do that, not at all sure the CL5 will.

I would be surprised to find a band that didn't accept a CL5 instead of an M7CL, but I could see them getting wonky if you asked to put one in place of a PM5D.

Andre Vare

• Hamilton, ON Canada
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 09:30:36 AM »

I need to add a console with rider acceptability and I need to add a digital snake option to my inventory for a number of corporate events that require cable installs that large analog snakes won't cover.  Two options are somewhat near to hand.  A Yamaha CL5 has attractive snake options with the DANTE multiple and extendable RIO boxes and plays well in the corporate world but has unknown rider juju.  A Digico SD8 has a somewhat less flexible snake architecture in the MADI BNC version but has presumeably as good or better play than either a 5D or a Venue Profile for touring music engineers.
Rider friendliness means established products that are well known to the industry.  In my neck of the woods, the most popular rider friendly consoles are SC48s and PM5Ds.  The CL5 is too new for broad based rider acceptance, and the Digico products have a relatively small but strong following.

Andre

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 09:30:36 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 25 queries.