ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: IEM rig  (Read 1783 times)

Jim Feniello

IEM rig
« on: February 21, 2013, 11:15:51 AM »

Hi, we're a small band, and are building up our own PA.  We have decided we're going with in ear monitors all around, some wireless, some wired.  I've got an idea of how this will be all wired when using our PA.  One additional option is that what if we want to use our IEMs at a venue with a PA.  I've heard of others doing this, so i'm thinking we'd want a package that they could just plug in the monitor mix feeds (which, once again, would work with my own system).

So, we have 3 wireless systems, and 2 wired.  I have an Alesis Multimix 6 cue, that i may or maynot use.  My thought was a rack case that had 6 (1 spare) XLR/1/4" inputs on a patch panel that could just be plugged into any house system.  Then on the back end, wire this to either the wireless inputs of the input of the Multimix. 

Few questsions
1. am i going down the wrong path all together, or sound ok?
2. should the wireless ones go through the multimix first?  (i'm not using it to mix, i'm assuming there's 5 unique monitor mixes coming in)
3. Is the patch panel idea overkill?
4. Would most houses have xlr, 1/4 balanced, or 1/4 unbalanced feeds for me?

Thanks for any advice.
-jim

Jerome Malsack

Re: IEM rig
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2013, 11:58:54 AM »

Assume nothing.   Older and smaller mixers will have 1 to 4 aux sends.  If I send you from my older EV mixer with 4 aux outs I convert to balanced and send down the snake on XLR.  Older venues can have XLR or quarter TRS configurations on the returns.   Having your own mixer available will help, IE will want some reverb??  Add in a microphone onstage for direct to IE to allow the band leader to communicate on stage without removing IE.

A cheap wireless for the added com mike would work best because it can be passed to other members to question.  This signal does not need to run up to the primary board.
Use the mute switch on the mic when not in use.

I have also placed an omni lavalier mic on the lead artist for when he is near the crowd and getting questions.  this feed is run at a reduced level with hard compression.  it allows him to hear the people in the crowd when he is standing among them and respond if he wants without taking the IE out of his ears.  I try to keep my headphones on the lead mix and track his needs. 

Nils Erickson

• San Francisco
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 12:27:27 PM »

Jim,

The way I built my band's IEM rig, we can use it when I am supplying PA, or if we use the house PA.  Here is a quick rundown of how ours works, it may be helpful to you:
Our wireless IEMs (and headphone amp for the hardwired ones) live in one rack onstage, along with a small monitor console (a crest XRM20). We mix our own ears, but typically we need very few if any adjustments after sound check.
The rack has an input panel on back with 5 whirlwind W1 multi pins; three are inputs, two are output.  We drop three of our own stage boxes, patched into the W1 inputs.  This means we never mis-patch a snake to the desk, and patching the 5 snakes takes less than a minute.  Our boxes are all clearly labeled so the crew in the venue doesn't screw up either.  These inputs feed the desk which has its own split.  I have an input on one box for talkback from FOH.
The output W1s are wired from the split, for 2 sets of 50' tails terminating in male XLR.  After around 75 gigs on this rig in the last year plus, that has proven to be the right length for about any venue we play.
There have been many advantages for us using this system.  Probably the biggest are decreased set up time, and more consistency in monitor sound.  Our rig sets up in under 1/2 hour including patching most every mic and DI (a few we patch ourselves).  For sound check, we are all typically good to go after 1-2 songs.  Mind you, this is for a 14 piece band.  Prior to this, we would expect to show up to find 6-10 mixes onstage and a set up/sound check lasting 1-2 hours if the monitor engineer was good; after all of that it would typically sound mediocre onstage and we were stuck staying in our mix zone.
I know I am not specifically addressing your questions, but hopefully this gives you some food for thought about how you might build it.  It would definitely be to your advantage to make it work easily when using a venue's PA or your own.
Cheers,
Nils

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 12:27:27 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 25 queries.