ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: old topic...drum shields?  (Read 9418 times)

chris harwood

Re: old topic...drum shields?
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2013, 05:36:21 PM »

Brian...so your shield seems effective...?

Right now our "youngster" drummer applies the laws of physics...and the loudest sound at the vocal mic also wins...  usually something being beaten to death and a lack of dynamics and finesse is yet to be learned, on the path to becoming a good musician.

Our stage is so small, that any available space is a premium and a aquarium is just going to take away more.  That's why I'd personally push e-drums...but shoot, maybe I'll just get rid of my floor stompers and bring my Marshall stacks back out of the attic...(of course not...but...eh)

Kent Thompson

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2013, 01:34:48 PM »

Our worship pastor sat on the front row during worship one day. The drums were well over 100dba at that location that day. The next week he made an executive decision to buy v-drums...The drummers just had to get use to it...

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2013, 01:39:54 PM »

Our worship pastor sat on the front row during worship one day. The drums were well over 100dba at that location that day. The next week he made an executive decision to buy v-drums...The drummers just had to get use to it...

Where's the "Like" button? 

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Taylor Phillips

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2013, 02:00:45 PM »

... maybe I'll just get rid of my floor stompers and bring my Marshall stacks back out of the attic...(of course not...but...eh)
Aside from how much better those emulators etc are at recreating the sound of those stacks than electronic drums are at recreating their desired sound (and the fact that the guitar really doesn't feel any different) - there's another factor people seem to always overlook when buying drums (and guitar amps for that matter) and that's that size matters.  Every good guitarist I've known (that still prefers amps to emulators) has always owned a small amp to use for smaller shows.  But people buy big, ridiculous heavy-metal drum kits for a church with a 150 seat sanctuary and get frustrated because they're too loud.  If you have a small stage/sanctuary, buy a small drum kit!  It will be much easier to deal with. 
Of course, your best bet is to get the drummer to play quieter...YA....RIIIIIIGHT  ::)
ROTFL
Worked for me! It probably helps since I play and can show drummers who don't think it's possible that they're entirely wrong.   

chris harwood

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2013, 02:56:49 PM »

Actually I don't think the size of the set matters.  We've got a simple one mounted tom, one floor and a couple cymbals and the snare and kick.  And they are on the smaller size as well. Still easy to get 105 dB. One problem arises that our 20 year old drummer of about 2 years experience is like telling a teenager to keep their room clean...on their own.  There's actually a pride in that he "has" to play loud and that's his style.  He isn't evolved musically enough to understand anything else really.

Any rate, had a good meeting last night with the Pastor and may start a new topic about it.

Kent Thompson

« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2013, 04:17:55 PM »

Actually I don't think the size of the set matters.  We've got a simple one mounted tom, one floor and a couple cymbals and the snare and kick.  And they are on the smaller size as well. Still easy to get 105 dB. One problem arises that our 20 year old drummer of about 2 years experience is like telling a teenager to keep their room clean...on their own.  There's actually a pride in that he "has" to play loud and that's his style.  He isn't evolved musically enough to understand anything else really.

Any rate, had a good meeting last night with the Pastor and may start a new topic about it.

Since it seems like your drummer(s) does not like electronic drums then I think  little leverage should be used. Either you play softer or we will be forced to look at electronic drums... Whether he likes it or not is irrelevant; how it sounds to the congregation is what is relevant. If he is not willing to get softer then you have no choice but, to either enclose him in a box or give him electronic drums. Don't allow him to get away with dictating how things should sound. He should get in line or step down. If that means no drums till you find a willing drummer so be it. Of course that is easy for me to say...being a grandpa I have lost a little of that diplomacy I use to have with kids.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 02:05:07 AM by Kent Thompson »

Taylor Phillips

« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2013, 05:10:21 PM »

Actually I don't think the size of the set matters.  We've got a simple one mounted tom, one floor and a couple cymbals and the snare and kick.  And they are on the smaller size as well. Still easy to get 105 dB.
Just any car can be driven too fast, any drum kit can be played too loud. In your instance, your drum kit probably isn't what I small.  The Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz is one I consider a small kit, I don't really consider ones that are bigger than this to be small.  That being said, you probably don't get to 105 dB on your drum kit without putting in a good bit of effort.   

And have you tried using brushes or hot rods?  They're much cheaper and more effective at getting good sound at a decent volume than shields or electronics, yet they always get overlooked.  Do they sound different than sticks?  Yes, usually better actually.  Notably better than electronic drums.  As for their volume I tested sticks vs hot rods on my drum kit at my parents' house a while back to see just what the difference was, and playing with the same vigor with each, the difference was a solid 8 dB, 10-12 if I tried to play more quietly with the rods.  This was A weigted using the cheap-o Radio Shack meter.  I didn't have any brushes to test. 

As for your drummer, what you have is not a volume problem, it's a musicianship/pride problem. The volume is a symptom. 
Whether he likes it or not is irrelevant; how it sounds to the congregation is what is relevant.
Couldn't agree more.  (I added the semi colon in the quote for clarity.) 

Dave Scarlett

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2013, 01:38:17 PM »

Here's a couple of guys that seem to make a small kit work:

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2013, 01:38:17 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 25 queries.