ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Crown USM810 DSP processor setup  (Read 6534 times)

Paul Verburg

• Church and H.O.W. Forums
Crown USM810 DSP processor setup
« on: March 02, 2013, 11:22:32 AM »

We have installed a Crown IQ USM810 DSP processor in our chapel and need help setting it up. Those who aren't familiar with the model, it has many great features including an automix feature that can be used when there is not a tech available to run the board. I would like to set the automix feature up so that we can run the sound system for funerals without a tech since they are usually with only 2-3 days notice and usually during the day when no tech is available. I have three options to use. Not sure if I use all three together or separately.

1) Priority ducking
2) NOM (number of mics) attenuation
3) Adaptive Gating

I have the processor connected to a computer via RS232 serial port and am running IQ 5.1 for windows. I have my outputs setup for main speaker, delay speaker, sub, under balcony left and under balcony right (mainly used for tech since there is no seating under the balcony) We would mainly use at most 3 mics and CD player, DVD player or piano depending on service. The piano is not completely necessary as we mic it mainly for recording purposes. All these inputs can be connected to the processor as well as the board in a way the signal goes to the processor first then to the board (in essence running parallel) using three terminal removable barrier blocks. We would like to use the wireless mics if possible. I'm still learning the processor by fiddling around with settings and have learned quite a bit. Our chapel is a relatively small space but is great for funerals and weddings in terms of aesthetics, layout and accoustics. Anyone have one of these that they have setup and would like to give me some insight? Can't seem to find anything on the internet about how to set one up let alone any tutorials. If you need any further info, please let me know.

Thanks,
Paul

Bob L. Wilson

Re: Crown USM810 DSP processor setup
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2013, 06:12:55 PM »

We have installed a Crown IQ USM810 DSP processor in our chapel and need help setting it up. Those who aren't familiar with the model, it has many great features including an automix feature that can be used when there is not a tech available to run the board. I would like to set the automix feature up so that we can run the sound system for funerals without a tech since they are usually with only 2-3 days notice and usually during the day when no tech is available. I have three options to use. Not sure if I use all three together or separately.

1) Priority ducking
2) NOM (number of mics) attenuation
3) Adaptive Gating

I have the processor connected to a computer via RS232 serial port and am running IQ 5.1 for windows. I have my outputs setup for main speaker, delay speaker, sub, under balcony left and under balcony right (mainly used for tech since there is no seating under the balcony) We would mainly use at most 3 mics and CD player, DVD player or piano depending on service. The piano is not completely necessary as we mic it mainly for recording purposes. All these inputs can be connected to the processor as well as the board in a way the signal goes to the processor first then to the board (in essence running parallel) using three terminal removable barrier blocks. We would like to use the wireless mics if possible. I'm still learning the processor by fiddling around with settings and have learned quite a bit. Our chapel is a relatively small space but is great for funerals and weddings in terms of aesthetics, layout and accoustics. Anyone have one of these that they have setup and would like to give me some insight? Can't seem to find anything on the internet about how to set one up let alone any tutorials. If you need any further info, please let me know.

Thanks,
Paul

I am not trying to be snarky. The manual seems self explanantory, so have you not read it or do you not understand it?

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2013, 11:19:44 AM »

An automixer is rarely an actual substitute for someone mixing.  Automixing simply addresses the potential effects of multiple live microphones, automatically turning channels on and off (gated automixing) or adjusting their relative level (gain sharing automixing) based on the sound received at each microphone, the idea being that inputs not being used will be automatically turned off or down, and accounting for the potential added overall level due to having multiple live inputs.  However, it does not know when something is actually intended to be love or not, can't see if someone is actually at, approaching, or leaving a microphone and so on.  And automixing is not addressing the input levels themselves or anything like that, just responding to the levels it sees to essentially turn channels on and off and compensating the output level accordingly.

The USM810 does have an auto-leveler for each channel that can be used to define a target level and to automatically adjust the channel signal to try to maintain that target level.  The auto-leveling in the USM810 is fairly advanced with multiple parameters related to when it operates, the target level, the maximum gain to be applied, how quickly it responds, etc.  The potential benefits or limits of auto-leveling depend on the application.  If someone speaks softly it may raise the level and if they speak loudly lower the level, which can be desired if they are unintentionally speaking softly or loudly but not desired if someone is intentionally doing so for effect and the processor has no way of knowing the difference.

You would typically not want to apply automixing and may not want to apply auto-leveling for music sources.

While it may be practical to address some specifics regarding the USM810 setup via a forum, it may be impractical to address the general use and setup of something like the USM810.  The manual is at http://www.crownaudio.com/media/pdf/legacy/126752.pdf, the gating, automixing and leveling functions are discussed on Pages 18 through 21.  You may just have to keep playing with it and seeing how things work in your application or get someone with more familiarity on site to help.

Paul Verburg

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2013, 01:44:57 PM »

Thanks for the input and education. Yes, the manual is fairly self explanatory to someone who is experienced in these areas but to someone who isn't familiar with these tools, it's a little daunting. I have been able to set levels for our speakers, set a low pass filter for the sub and set delays for the delay speaker as well as the under balcony speakers. I would like to get our chapel to the point where someone from the office can come in, turn on the system and mic rack and not have to do anything with the sound board. Any suggestions to accomplish this would be helpful.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2013, 02:24:53 PM »

I would like to get our chapel to the point where someone from the office can come in, turn on the system and mic rack and not have to do anything with the sound board. Any suggestions to accomplish this would be helpful.

Paul....

You're after the same thing that all of us would love to set up:  a FOOL-proof system.  Unfortunately, this quest is like that for perpetual motion.  The best you can do is simplify it to the  point where simple written instructions in LARGE TYPE posted by the mixer will allow someone of reasonable intelligence and the ability to follow said instructions (after themselves being instructed) to safely and effectively operate the system.

Auto-mix will work only for management of a few speaking microphones......and only if the microphones are used properly (a rarity in reality).  As has been said, music is another thing and not subject to such auto-management.

One thing any such system should have is sequenced power on/off so that the system components will not suffer damage from voltage spikes incurred by improper on/off sequence.
FYI, it's power amps ON LAST/OFF FIRST.

As far as "not have to do anything with the sound board", it's just not going to really work for everyone with that as the stated objective.  I would re-phrase it to say, "not have to do anything but simple fader level adjustments" to get closer to reality.  You can easily indicate proper levels on a chart next to the board or with board tape and marks on the console itself with instructions on what to do to get the meters to read desired levels.

Of course, this requires the "operator du jour" to have the participants at the microphones for the  checks/adjustments either prior to the event or for the first few minutes until all inputs have been used.

As for music playback, if you're using the same installed playback equipment every time, you'll generally be OK with a pre-set level.....AS LONG AS the material has been recorded at the proper level.  Again, this sometimes happens, but often does not.  I can't count the number of times that special music has been "home burned" to cheap media which would not play on the system or was either recorded so low as to require excessive amplification (even more than just "turning it up") or recorded with distortion and/or dropouts.

A little training and practice is really a necessity.  This is best done IMO with all the potential operators together in a "class", the idea being to establish a pool of informed operators.  Most importantly, work carefully to establish a positive "hey...I can DO this" experience and attitude.  Once the folks are not daunted by the task it will be no problem.  You should have an experienced person on hand the first few times each operator takes on the task.

And you should ALWAYS have a trained operator on duty if a FAILURE would be catastrophic.  IOW, can the event tolerate any technical glitches?  If not, you'll have to have someone knowledgeable at the board no matter what the desire is for an "idiot-proof automatic system".

There is no such thing.     
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Paul Verburg

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2013, 02:35:55 PM »

Thanks, Dick. I appreciate your input. I will go with having instructions, training some of the office people so that they can do the simple services. Fortunately, we do have a sequenced power on/off by way of a Furman. I am not looking for an idiot proof solution, just something a little more automated. I will stick with having someone at the board. Thanks again all!  :)

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2013, 02:47:02 PM »

Thanks, Dick. I appreciate your input. I will go with having instructions, training some of the office people so that they can do the simple services. Fortunately, we do have a sequenced power on/off by way of a Furman. I am not looking for an idiot proof solution, just something a little more automated. I will stick with having someone at the board. Thanks again all!  :)

Paul....

Divide and conquer (or unite and concur).

1.  Your system level adjustments should be optimized and locked down such that only authorized/qualified personnel have access.  I imagine this has already been done.

2.  Establish "benchmarks" for any and all adjustments so that everyone is starting from a
     basic, consistent board every time.

3.  Set up your "training" to include all necessary tasks such as:

A.  Simple channel fader adjustments.

B.  Input gain adjustments.  This would likely only apply to playback channels, and only
         when channel fader adjustment is not sufficient.

C.  Lastly (and only for those with advanced interest), simple channel strip EQ   
          adjustments to enhance voice clarity.

Add any other tasks to this list.  I think you'll have success over time.  Some folks really take to the task once they realize how to do a few simple but necessary things and to "think like an engineer".

Good luck.

Edit:

When I write "user manuals" for any system I install or adjust, I write it in "levels":

Level One being simple, easily achievable adjustments as above.

Level Two being the "why" of the adjustments and any subtleties attendant, including possible interactions between adjustments.  This is a good place to cross-reference to the equipment manuals which should be on hand....

Level Three being a system flow chart and any wiring diagrams you deem appropriate.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 03:00:21 PM by dick rees »
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Bob L. Wilson

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2013, 05:23:08 PM »

Thanks for the input and education. Yes, the manual is fairly self explanatory to someone who is experienced in these areas but to someone who isn't familiar with these tools, it's a little daunting. I have been able to set levels for our speakers, set a low pass filter for the sub and set delays for the delay speaker as well as the under balcony speakers. I would like to get our chapel to the point where someone from the office can come in, turn on the system and mic rack and not have to do anything with the sound board. Any suggestions to accomplish this would be helpful.

We do something similar in our sanctuary. A user can flip a switch and go from manual control to an eight input automixed sub-system controlled by a Lectrosonics DM8/4. We added a Whirlwind mic splitter to supply signal to the Lectrosonics. The toggle switch flips between two presets on our Shure P4800 system processor. If a user wishes to record an automixed event they can push another button on the rack to trigger a Marantz solid state recorder. When the event is over they throw the toggle back to manual and push to stop the recording. The system works fine supporting:

Pulpit mic automixed with override.
Lectern mic automixed with override
Wireless 1 automixed
Wireless 2 automixed
Piano direct not automixed.
Two sanctuary floor box jacks automixed
one chancel floor box jack direct not automixed for soloist via wired mic with Whirlwind micmute switch.

To indicate which jacks are supported on the sub-system I disassembled some Switchcraft D3F jacks and had the mounting plates powdercoated green. I installed them into the floor boxes for every input that is part of the automatic system. To further differentiate the inputs that are part of the automatic system, but not in automatic mode, (Piano, Soloist) I swapped out the standard Switchcraft inserts with the light green phenolic insulators for some I had with black insulators. I stuck an instruction card to the inside of every floor box lid that either states "No automatic sound system jacks in this box!" or shows a picture of a standard jack, an automatic system jack, and an automatic system jack that is in always on and needs a mic with a switch.

It is extremely convenient to have the option of running without an operator for certain types of services.  Our office sends the tech team an email notice of upcoming services with music planned. We respond with automatic will work or plan for a technician. I trained our sextons how set up mics/switches for an automixed event so now they handle it. Our music director has a .pdf we wrote that goes out to every soloist before they sing at an automixed event detailing the operation and especially importance of the micmute switch.

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2013, 05:59:45 PM »

We have installed a Crown IQ USM810 DSP processor in our chapel and need help setting it up. Those who aren't familiar with the model, it has many great features including an automix feature that can be used when there is not a tech available to run the board. I would like to set the automix feature up so that we can run the sound system for funerals without a tech since they are usually with only 2-3 days notice and usually during the day when no tech is available.
Perhaps I am biased by recent experience but the three memorial services I recently attended may have only used a few microphones but all involved live singing and music along with some rather dynamic talkers.  And all three venues were acoustically fairly live.  So while I have used automixing and/or auto-leveling for some applications, I can't see it having been effective in any of those.  What you see the system realistically handling without someone operating it may really be the critical factor.

FWIW, one of those churches seemed to try a 'set and forget' approach for the lectern and vocalists mics and it was terrible.  You could barely hear some of the people talking while others you could hear the input clipping and throughout it all you heard whichever mic was not being used picking up the room.  The person whose memory was being honored really deserved better.

Bob L. Wilson

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2013, 07:49:38 PM »

Perhaps I am biased by recent experience but the three memorial services I recently attended may have only used a few microphones but all involved live singing and music along with some rather dynamic talkers.  And all three venues were acoustically fairly live.  So while I have used automixing and/or auto-leveling for some applications, I can't see it having been effective in any of those.  What you see the system realistically handling without someone operating it may really be the critical factor.

FWIW, one of those churches seemed to try a 'set and forget' approach for the lectern and vocalists mics and it was terrible.  You could barely hear some of the people talking while others you could hear the input clipping and throughout it all you heard whichever mic was not being used picking up the room.  The person whose memory was being honored really deserved better.

I have also heard plenty of poor performing automixed setups but we have had solid results with ours.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2013, 07:49:38 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 23 queries.