ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: PA SPEAKERS  (Read 5156 times)

Mike_Bax

PA SPEAKERS
« on: February 17, 2013, 05:18:24 PM »

Now, this always confuses the hell outta me!!!!!!

I have 2 pairs of PA Speakers, with standard wiring (so I guess that if they get linked, they would end up in series?)

pair 1, Peavey EuroSys III, 150w rated 8ohm
pair 2, Marshall 6115H, 175w rated 8 ohm

Now, if I (on each side of the PA), ran into one of the Eurosys, then out into a Marshall, what would this give me?
About 300w at 4 ohm each side?

Like I said, ohms law may as well be another language to me.

James A. Griffin

Re: PA SPEAKERS
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 05:29:40 PM »

No, they won't be in series, they will be in parallel.  Yes, it will come out to 4 ohms (sorta).

But there is much to be concerned about when combining two such disparate boxes in hopes that the result is going to be attractive or even useful.
I need to determine where in this swamp of unbalanced formulas squatteth the Toad of Truth

Mike_Bax

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 05:40:03 PM »

Thanks for the quick reply. Would you explain your answer further please?

Would I be getting about 300w at 4 ohm each side?

Its a temporary measure, until I have the money for better speakers.

duane massey

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 08:05:29 PM »

You aren't "getting" anything. The wattage rating on the speaker is the amount of power they are rated to safely handle. If the speakers are not identical in efficiency they will not have equal spl levels (volume or output), and they will probably have different sonic footprints as well. There are any number of potential problems involved, but I'll make it simple: if you are satisfied (or can live with) the results, great. If not, upgrade to 1 pair of speakers that will suit your needs.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2013, 08:39:43 PM »

. If the speakers are not identical in efficiency they will not have equal spl levels (volume or output), and they will probably have different sonic footprints as well. There are any number of potential problems involved, but I'll make it simple: if you are satisfied (or can live with) the results, great. If not, upgrade to 1 pair of speakers that will suit your needs.
With loudspeakers-the fewer the better (ONE is ideal)-even if they are of the same model number.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2013, 08:54:11 PM »

Now, if I (on each side of the PA), ran into one of the Eurosys, then out into a Marshall, what would this give me?

On the positive side, having one each per side would allow you to cover a wider area than just the Euro's or the Marshalls.  But .........

You will not get a discernible increase in output.  AND mis-matched speakers side by side will sound inferior to simply using one or the other pair.

The only possible way to make them "play nice" together might......MIGHT....be to run a "dual PA" where you would put the backing program through one set and the vocals through the other.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
Re: Re: PA SPEAKERS
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2013, 10:57:56 PM »

On the positive side, having one each per side would allow you to cover a wider area than just the Euro's or the Marshalls.  But .........

You will not get a discernible increase in output.  AND mis-matched speakers side by side will sound inferior to simply using one or the other pair.

The only possible way to make them "play nice" together might......MIGHT....be to run a "dual PA" where you would put the backing program through one set and the vocals through the other.

If the op is asking series versus parallel  he probably doesn't have the amp channels to do dual stereo so he will need enough cable to go cross stage twice for dual mono.
Jay Barracato

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2013, 07:56:20 AM »

Bingo, dual PA.  ;)
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2013, 07:56:20 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 25 queries.