ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Carvin TRX vs Peavey SP  (Read 19650 times)

Josh Edward

Carvin TRX vs Peavey SP
« on: February 17, 2013, 12:37:29 AM »

Hello folks, I would like to get your opinion on a new sound system I will soon be purchasing. I'm pretty limited as far as the money I can spend so here are the 2 systems I was thinking about...

System A:
2x carvin TRX2218's
2x carvin TRX2153's
DBX Driverack PA
2x behringer nu6000's (lows, mids)
1x behringer nu3000 (highs)
behringer x32 digital console

or

System B:
2x Peavey SP2BX's
2x Peavey SP218BX's
DBX Driverack PA
1x behringer nu1000 (highs)

Essentially the only difference is going to be the speakers. What do you think? Carvin or Peavey?

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
Re: Carvin TRX vs Peavey SP
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 01:15:49 AM »

Hello folks, I would like to get your opinion on a new sound system I will soon be purchasing. I'm pretty limited as far as the money I can spend so here are the 2 systems I was thinking about...

System A:
2x carvin TRX2218's
2x carvin TRX2153's
DBX Driverack PA
1x behringer nu3000 (highs)

or

System B:
2x Peavey SP2BX's
2x Peavey SP218BX's
DBX Driverack PA
1x behringer nu1000 (highs)

Essentially the only difference is going to be the speakers. What do you think? Carvin or Peavey?

Read the rules, fix your display name.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

Chris Van Duker

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 02:23:07 PM »

I don't have a strong opinion on either of the speaker choices you mentioned -- I think the Peavey would probably be peoples' preference around here, but that doesn't mean it's a better choice. The ideal scenario would be a head-to-head comparison, but I don't see how that could happen.

If you're not buying a snake, I assume you have some sort of wireless device for controlling the mixer -- mixing from the stage is not optimal.

At your scale, I wouldn't bother with tri-amping. That money would be better spent elsewhere, and you can always do it later.

Run away from the Driverack PA. The Behringer DCX2496 has proper limiting and better EQ, or buy amps with built-in DSP.

I'm assuming you're planning on the extra expenses of mics and stands, cables, DI's, racks, mixer case, etc.? Do you have monitors and monitor amps lined up?

Also, have you considered used speakers? You might get a bit more bang for the buck. Used Danley TH-115s seem to be going for around $1200. If you bought a pair of those and some mains more like the SP4 or SP6 used, then you could add another pair of subs later on without changing or adding to your mains.

Josh Edward

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 06:14:27 PM »

I don't have a strong opinion on either of the speaker choices you mentioned -- I think the Peavey would probably be peoples' preference around here, but that doesn't mean it's a better choice. The ideal scenario would be a head-to-head comparison, but I don't see how that could happen.

If you're not buying a snake, I assume you have some sort of wireless device for controlling the mixer -- mixing from the stage is not optimal.

At your scale, I wouldn't bother with tri-amping. That money would be better spent elsewhere, and you can always do it later.

Run away from the Driverack PA. The Behringer DCX2496 has proper limiting and better EQ, or buy amps with built-in DSP.

I'm assuming you're planning on the extra expenses of mics and stands, cables, DI's, racks, mixer case, etc.? Do you have monitors and monitor amps lined up?

Also, have you considered used speakers? You might get a bit more bang for the buck. Used Danley TH-115s seem to be going for around $1200. If you bought a pair of those and some mains more like the SP4 or SP6 used, then you could add another pair of subs later on without changing or adding to your mains.

Unfortunately your right, a head to head comparison just isn't going to happen. I would like to get more peoples opinions on this though as Ill probably go with what people recommend here.

Perhaps I should give you more of a background. Basically What I'm doing is looking to upgrade my mains and switch to a digital mixer. I mainly run sound for churches, coffeehouses and occasionally a few schools. Currently I have 2 PV115's and 2 PV 118's, so at this point pretty much anything would be an upgrade. As far as mics, stands, cables, Di's, racks and monitors go, I'm all set.

I have considered used gear, I do have an opportunity to purchase 4 Electro-Voice  MTL-1's and 4 MTH-1's for an excellent price. It would be more expensive than the Carvin or Peavey systems, but I would halso have double the PA...

Tomm Williams

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2013, 11:04:43 PM »

For specific events, I have two sets of the second (?) generation TRX with neo drivers. For the price, I find them to be a solid performer and wouldn't hestitate to purchase them again. I've never heard the PV's. I would skip the tri-amp thing and spend a bit more money on better amps

Josh Edward

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2013, 11:41:56 PM »

For specific events, I have two sets of the second (?) generation TRX with neo drivers. For the price, I find them to be a solid performer and wouldn't hestitate to purchase them again. I've never heard the PV's. I would skip the tri-amp thing and spend a bit more money on better amps

apparantly the 3rd gen TRX's... the TRX2000 series, no longer use the NEO drivers. I'm not sure if that means anything as far as the sound goes, but I know it will make them heavier. I know Carvin doesn't have the greatest reputation, but the new 3rd gen TRX cabs look killer and seem to have good specs. Man I wish i could hear them.

Im curious though, you all really don't think it's worth it to triamp the system? What if I did end up going with the EV MT-1 system, would triamping still be unnecessary?

Mike Collatos

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2013, 06:58:00 AM »

I heard the newer TRX line in action twice now. Same tops you are thinking about but the single 18 subs instead of the double 18 cabs, but they guy had 4 of them. They sounded pretty good, seem to be well balanced and full sounding, not to harsh on the high end and pleanty of low end. I'm not sure what crossover the guy was using on them or the crossover points he was using, he had a PreSonus mixer and was using Crown amps to push them but I am unsure what model was pushing what. I saw both XLS and XTi amps in his rack.

I have owned and heard several Peavey speakers but not the specific ones you are looking at so I can't comment on those.

Benjamin D. HIll

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2013, 10:14:10 AM »

Well I will place my 2 cents in.
       Firstly I would avoid the behringer amps.
They are rated at peak not rms... So when you compare them to other amps they are actual half the wattage or so that they state in the advertisement. When you compare amps with that knowledge you know that it’s a bad deal.
       Crown crest qsc elect would be your best bet because they work and have honest ratings.
Also buy the light ones!!!!! I have a 100 and 400 pound amp rack sitting in my trailer.
Every time I have to move them I cry a little on the inside.
       Personally I would go with the ev mt's for a couple reasons.
-one they are great boxes.
-two they have quality service and support.
-three they will meet most writers list (that you would ever deal with)
-also people know ev so they say to themselves cool he has ev boxes for whatever that’s worth.

as for dsp... I have 2 driverack pa's after you get used to them they are ok. avoid the auto tune feature and spend some of that money on a measurement mic system my suggesting is the Omni mic on partsexpress.com. it’s affordable and gives you the info you need to set up a great sounding system.
       I also have a bbe ds 48 it is better than the drive rack by leaps and bounds but not professional level by any means.
       I have no opinions on the mixer I am an o1v guy personally. But the x32 seems to be ok by the looks of all the threads about it.
       I guess I would tell you to cry once. if you can’t get enough amps to power all your speakers leave them in the truck till you can buy more. better to have quality power on a few boxes then no power because your cheap overrated amp overheats or poor sound quality because they have high harmonic distortion or have a heck of a time getting your lows to pound because of a crapy recharge rate on there capacitors.

But these are just my opinions so take them with a grain of salt and enjoy whatever new system God sends your way.

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2013, 12:10:54 PM »

Code: [Select]
But these are just my opinions so take them with a grain of salt and enjoy whatever new system God sends your way.
Wow!  God sends out PA systems?  I better start praying! ;)

Josh Edward

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2013, 10:27:32 PM »

I think I'm going to go with the MT-1 system. Its going to consist of 4 mtl1's and 8 mth1's. I figured I could use one sub and 1 top per side for now, then when I have larger venues I can break out the rest.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2013, 10:27:32 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 23 queries.