ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to avoid feed back from main PA speakers in small set up  (Read 16429 times)

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
How to avoid feed back from main PA speakers in small set up
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2013, 09:03:35 PM »

First question ... you are using an omni measuring mic ... correct?  If not you are in big trouble.

The Autograph in the VSX works differently that other auto-eq's.  I would recommend that you take the time to setup a base measurement outdoors to minimize the impact of reflections. 

When using indoors the system does depend that you place the mics so that you are in the direct field of the speaker as much as possible. With this system just as with any other it can only work as well as the measurements you take. 

The more averages you can get, the better.  The other thing that is different about the Autograph system in the VSX is that it does not try flatten the speaker but only tries to remove peaks from it.  It has some self-awareness of what it cannot do and if it applies any "correction" to the system but cannot measure that the correction actually took place it simply pulls it back out.  So while it may not fix the system as much as you like, it almost never makes it worse.

Again when using it to help manage feedback it's important that the system make its measurements with the mics in place and running as it will take that into account as well.

Sounds like it has the potential to be a bit better than some autoEQ devices. Thanks for posting, good to know.

That said, the Yamahas have built in digital processing correct? I tend to try to leave it to the box, if possible, in that situation. What are you trying to accomplish with it?

Sounds like placement are going to be the biggest issues for you. Often other autoEQ devices will apply crazy additive EQ to correct for things picked up by accident or mistake.

Scott Bolt

Re: How to avoid feed back from main PA speakers in small set up
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2013, 11:33:23 AM »

First question ... you are using an omni measuring mic ... correct?  If not you are in big trouble.

The Autograph in the VSX works differently that other auto-eq's.  I would recommend that you take the time to setup a base measurement outdoors to minimize the impact of reflections. 

When using indoors the system does depend that you place the mics so that you are in the direct field of the speaker as much as possible. With this system just as with any other it can only work as well as the measurements you take. 

The more averages you can get, the better.  The other thing that is different about the Autograph system in the VSX is that it does not try flatten the speaker but only tries to remove peaks from it.  It has some self-awareness of what it cannot do and if it applies any "correction" to the system but cannot measure that the correction actually took place it simply pulls it back out.  So while it may not fix the system as much as you like, it almost never makes it worse.

Again when using it to help manage feedback it's important that the system make its measurements with the mics in place and running as it will take that into account as well.

Hey Don,

My DRPA always created a comb when I used speakers on both sides.  This is due (as I am sure you know) to the cancellation through the frequency range as the sound from the two speakers collide with each other.

Andy at HC steered me to using a single side to run the auto-eq (if I had to do it at all) which fixed this issue.

Would you recommend the same thing on your products?

Don Boomer

• RF Venue
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2013, 02:31:56 PM »

So basically, yes.  It generally works better assuming you have a 2 channel setup to mute one side while setting up the other.  As to comb filtering, that's gonna happen no matter what.

Just to set the record straight ... they are not my products  ::)  but I did design the Autograph process for the VSX's
Don Boomer
Senior applications engineer
RF Venue, Inc.

Tim Perry

• Utica-Rome NY
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2013, 07:30:44 PM »

These are band concerts and the feed back is definitely from the vocalists' mics as they move around the stage!

Sougato, my method of surviving (that is implementing) sound in very small venues involves tilt down speakers elevated as high as i can get them.

Often there isn't room for a drum shield but then there is, it a big help.

It may be hard to convince the guitar pickers to put their amps sideways pointing in, but if you can, that will help also.

If the band will work with you to make their show better it will be better. If they wont, i have found it better for me to simply find another band.

Scott Bolt

« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2013, 09:57:33 PM »

So basically, yes.  It generally works better assuming you have a 2 channel setup to mute one side while setting up the other.  As to comb filtering, that's gonna happen no matter what.

Just to set the record straight ... they are not my products  ::)  but I did design the Autograph process for the VSX's

Thanks Don.  That makes sense..... and although they may not actually be "your products", you are the only engineer I argue with on-line about actual engineering principles so you get to own the products from Line 6 in my mind until someone else cares to engage ;)

I appreciate your time and attention Don.  Thanks for the reply.

I do intend to take a closer look at the new digital mixer from Line 6 which for some reason isn't getting much play on the boards at this time.

Mark Carver

« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2013, 02:31:58 PM »

Hey Don,

My DRPA always created a comb when I used speakers on both sides.  This is due (as I am sure you know) to the cancellation through the frequency range as the sound from the two speakers collide with each other.

Andy at HC steered me to using a single side to run the auto-eq (if I had to do it at all) which fixed this issue.

Would you recommend the same thing on your products?

The new Smaart stuff on the Presonus desks actually automatically only does the left speaker stack.
I can see the logic. Unless you are actually going to do each stack separately and use different graphic eq notches or 2 separate parametrics then doing one side only and applying to teh whole system makes perfect sense.
It seems to work just dandy for me.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2013, 02:51:10 PM »

I do intend to take a closer look at the new digital mixer from Line 6 which for some reason isn't getting much play on the boards at this time.

They launched at a very competitive time and another product has the spotlight.

It will be interesting to see if the M20 gets some traction as we go forward.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Ned Ward

• SR Forums
  • Redondo Beach, CA
    • Our band's page on Facebook
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2013, 03:21:12 PM »

They launched at a very competitive time and another product has the spotlight.

It will be interesting to see if the M20 gets some traction as we go forward.

I'd say 2 products - one slightly above it, and one less than 1/2 the retail price. Very competitive time, and will be interesting seeing the next generation from people as well as next steps from those with products in the field. And aren't there rumblings of QSC doing a mixer with Greg Mackie, or was that just a 2012 NAMM rumor?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2013, 03:21:12 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 25 queries.