ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: best mic from my collection for feedback  (Read 12617 times)

Brian Jones

• Modesto, CA
best mic from my collection for feedback
« on: February 16, 2013, 02:00:47 PM »

I own some sm58 and sm57, and one each om2 & beta 57a. Which should have superior feedback rejection? Which would be worst?

I'm also stuck for this gig using cheap kustom monitors.  Tips on placement? The "talent" will be amateurs but I think ill have a mic coach to give tips before they hit the stage. Content will be spoken word and acapella with a slight chance of an acoustic guitar. Also recorded content but monitors will be turned down for that. 

I'm thinking aides should be prefader.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
Re: best mic from my collection for feedback
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2013, 02:17:28 PM »

I own some sm58 and sm57, and one each om2 & beta 57a. Which should have superior feedback rejection? Which would be worst?

It depends on several factors.

I'm also stuck for this gig using cheap kustom monitors.  Tips on placement?

Place the monitor(s) in the "nulls" of the pattern of whatever mic you go with.

The "talent" will be amateurs but I think ill have a mic coach to give tips before they hit the stage. Content will be spoken word and acapella with a slight chance of an acoustic guitar. Also recorded content but monitors will be turned down for that.

A cardioid pattern mic is maybe better for amateurs.  A tighter pattern makes it easier for poor mic technique to come into play.

By "aides" do you mean monitors? If so, then yes.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Tim Perry

• Utica-Rome NY
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2013, 02:21:53 PM »

I'm also stuck for this gig using cheap kustom monitors.  Tips on placement? The "talent" will be amateurs but I think ill have a mic coach to give tips before they hit the stage. Content will be spoken word and acapella with a slight chance of an acoustic guitar. Also recorded content but monitors will be turned down for that. 

Simply do not use floor monitors for spoken word unless it is absolutely demanded.

Any and all of these mics can be used for instruments of vocals. The om-2 and beta 57 are hyper and super card, but that really will not help much one they are removed from the stand (I'm just guessing here).

I'd start with the beta 57 on the guitar then 58s on vox.

<edit syntax>
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 03:11:34 PM by Tim Perry »

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2013, 02:30:24 PM »

Simply do not use floor monitors for spoken word unless it absolutely demanded.

Agreed.  I've got a "2nd Annual" event coming up on Tuesday (live radio remote) where I'm providing nominal "sound" in the room.  It's about 15' wide by 30' long, so a single speaker at head height and a floor wedge for the keyboard player are it.  For the spoken word and track artists, I am providing a small mixer with the tracks and their mic so they can plug in their headphones and set their own levels.  Or they can just go with what comes out of the room speaker.

Scott Bolt

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2013, 03:13:38 PM »

Simply do not use floor monitors for spoken word unless it absolutely demanded.

Any and all of these mics can be used for instruments of vocals. The om-2 and beta 57 are hyper and super card, but that really will not help much one they are removed from the stand (I'm just guessing here).

I'd start with the beta 57 on  guitar. And 58s on vox
I agree.

If you are really having issues with feedback, try an OM7 or an ND767a.  Both have excellent feedback rejection characteristics.

Note, that these microphones also require you to be close to them so you have to get your speaker to talk into the microphone (not hold it at belly button level).

One issue I have had with spoken word and inexperienced speakers is that when they hear themselves ..... they back away from the microphone.  If you turn up more .... they back away more.... and eventually you get feedback :(

This seems to be especially common in long narrow speaking areas where the speakers are fairly close to the speaker, but need to cover a deep room.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2013, 03:56:40 PM »

When working with amatures-I usually don't put any of their mics into the monitors-unless they ask for it-for TWO main reasons.

1: It makes it that much easier to get gain out front

2: For most amatures-if they hear themselves it freaks them out-so they either move the mic away or sing/talk quieter because they think they are really loud to the audience.  Makes it harder to get #1 above.

A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Brian Jones

• Modesto, CA
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2013, 08:42:08 PM »

Thanks guys. In the future I'll probably get an OM7 but gig is tomorrow. I did some experimenting with a monitor hooked up, moving my mouth slowly from on axis to as close to behind as I could get, listening to how the level changed, thus combining what was said here with info I picked up watching Dave Rat's YouTube where he was testing mics. The OM2 was by far the quietest behind, with all the others about the same.

I'll deploy accordingly. 

I'm happy to take the unanimous advice re monitors and spoken word.  For the acapella group I'll place them at about 2 and 10 oclock.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2013, 08:49:13 PM »

I'm happy to take the unanimous advice re monitors and spoken word.  For the acapella group I'll place them at about 2 and 10 oclock.

When using 2 wedges to cover one group, I prefer placing them together and "V-ed" out so that they have the least cancellation.

Tim Perry

• Utica-Rome NY
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2013, 09:15:25 PM »

Thanks guys. In the future I'll probably get an OM7 but gig is tomorrow. I did some experimenting with a monitor hooked up, moving my mouth slowly from on axis to as close to behind as I could get, listening to how the level changed, thus combining what was said here with info I picked up watching Dave Rat's YouTube where he was testing mics. The OM2 was by far the quietest behind, with all the others about the same.

I'll deploy accordingly. 

Unless you plan on meeting riders for metal acts I wouldn't go with the OM-7. The OM-6 has about the same response but does not have the reduced output (intended to prevent or reduce input overload from screamers).  The OM-5 is similar to the 6 but adds a presence peak. 

The problem with the 7 is mainly having to turn the input gain up on the board significantly more then you are used to with other mics. Not so bad if you have plenty of time to dial things in, but can be a PITA in what we call 'combat audio'.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2013, 09:21:42 PM »

Unless you plan on meeting riders for metal acts I wouldn't go with the OM-7. The OM-6 has about the same response but does not have the reduced output (intended to prevent or reduce input overload from screamers).  The OM-5 is similar to the 6 but adds a presence peak. 

The problem with the 7 is mainly having to turn the input gain up on the board significantly more then you are used to with other mics. Not so bad if you have plenty of time to dial things in, but can be a PITA in what we call 'combat audio'.
And when dealing with "normal" or quieter vocals-turning up the input gain will add a good bit of noise to the system.  This is not a good thing.

As with all things-it is a matter of "tradeoffs".  What might look good in one area-may cause problems in another area.  Sometimes in ways you didn't count on.

That is why one needs look a bit deeper than the "simple" specs.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2013, 09:21:42 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 22 queries.