ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down

Author Topic: When you need a Dugan....  (Read 28008 times)

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
Re: When you need a Dugan....
« Reply #50 on: March 07, 2013, 10:43:39 AM »

If Shure is happy with their approach then this has them in the door to competing directly with Dan on the Yamaha market:  "Models available with Dante™ digital networked audio for multi-channel audio networking over Ethernet"

You mean the next Shure.
...snipped...
JR

PS: Who knows maybe Shure will finally offer Dugan algorithm as one of their modes.  8)

Steve Alves

• South Florida
    • South Florida Sound
« Reply #51 on: March 04, 2015, 11:40:18 AM »

Resurrecting an old thread..

Just purchased a Yamaha QL1 which includes the Dugan system. Have not played with it yet but was just curious. Say you had a five piece band (rock for argument sake) and put three vocals on the Dugan. Would there be any benefit? Would having the music background have an effect?

Every demo I have seen of it has been simple voice, no singing..

Just curious what to expect and if there would be any reason to use it.
Steven Alves
South Florida Sound, Fort Lauderdale, FL
www.southfloridasound.com

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #52 on: March 04, 2015, 12:06:08 PM »

Just purchased a Yamaha QL1 which includes the Dugan system. Have not played with it yet but was just curious. Say you had a five piece band (rock for argument sake) and put three vocals on the Dugan. Would there be any benefit? Would having the music background have an effect?

The basic Dugan gain sharing algorithm is optimal for dealing with a number of similar talking heads in a conference room, with one person talking at a time. For mixing multiple singers performing music on stage there may be some specific applications (like between a group of backing singers) but generally sharing gain between different lead singers is a different task.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #53 on: March 04, 2015, 12:17:49 PM »

Dan's original design was for speaking - panel discussions, conferencing/congressing use.  He never intended it to be used for music mixing.  He later developed an algorithm that was more suited to singers (think: Broadway/West End musicals), but it's not the panacea one might hope it to be).

If you do corporate stuff you'll treasure the Dugan style automixing.  That's what it was designed for and what it does best.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Steve Alves

• South Florida
    • South Florida Sound
« Reply #54 on: March 04, 2015, 12:55:48 PM »

That is what I though but it gives me something to play with. Most of our corporate includes bands so it may not be as valuable as talking heads.
Steven Alves
South Florida Sound, Fort Lauderdale, FL
www.southfloridasound.com

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
« Reply #55 on: March 04, 2015, 05:54:50 PM »

The Dugan automixer that had the music mode used a separate mic input that was for the stage ambiance. Automixers generally get confused with music and will usually make some pretty weird decisions.

I do use automixers for musical theater but just for the dialog parts. 

John Penkala

« Reply #56 on: March 05, 2015, 09:46:07 AM »

That is what I though but it gives me something to play with. Most of our corporate includes bands so it may not be as valuable as talking heads.

Steve,
         +1 to Tim's comments.  Here's a couple of tips on using the Dugan auto mixer. Use a post-fader insert, and don't play with the weighting adjustments unless you are confident that the results are what you need. In general, for 95% of the applications for which it was designed adjustments aren't necessary. It just works.

-John Penkala

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #57 on: March 05, 2015, 12:47:35 PM »

In general, for 95% of the applications for which it was designed adjustments aren't necessary. It just works.

I can see the advertising campaign now: "Our Stuff Just Works." heh.

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #58 on: March 05, 2015, 01:07:16 PM »

I can see the advertising campaign now: "Our Stuff Just Works." heh.

-Ray

While it probably doesn't need repeating the "Dugan" gain sharing algorithm is elegant. It does "just work" (brilliantly) with a minimum of operator input for appropriate applications.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #59 on: March 05, 2015, 02:32:42 PM »

While it probably doesn't need repeating the "Dugan" gain sharing algorithm is elegant. It does "just work" (brilliantly) with a minimum of operator input for appropriate applications.

JR

Yes, it does.  I have had some situations recently where i was dealing with some bi-directional web feeds where i needed to introduce some delays to make things behave correctly since there was some significant latencies being introduced.  I would have liked to have some attack and decay settings to adjust in those circumstances, but i was able to work around that.  Otherwise yeah, the stock settings work in a surprisingly large number of instances just fine.  One of the few things i've ever used in audio that i could say that about.
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #59 on: March 05, 2015, 02:32:42 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 24 queries.