ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gyrophonic speakers  (Read 7601 times)

Bob L. Wilson

Gyrophonic speakers
« on: February 13, 2013, 12:30:47 PM »

Check out this alternate take on a Leslie.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Allen-Organ-Gyrophonic-Projector-Leslie-Speaker-Cabinet-/200628249686?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2eb6602456

That looks like a single wound single speed motor so maybe these weren't multispeed? or maybe they were variable speed, with voltage control from the organ console?  Hats off to the original engineers.

"We need to change a speaker belt before the next song"
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 09:05:07 AM by Bob L. Wilson »

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
Re: Gyrophonic speakers
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 07:07:02 PM »

Check out this alternate take on a Lelie.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Allen-Organ-Gyrophonic-Projector-Leslie-Speaker-Cabinet-/200628249686?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2eb6602456

That looks like a single wound single speed motor so maybe these weren't multispeed? or maybe they were variable speed, with voltage control from the organ console?  Hats off to the original engineers.

"We need to change a speaker belt before the next song"
There have been a number of rotating cabinets-but many simply "miss the boat" in understanding what makes the leslie what it is.  It is HORIZONTAL rotation-NOT vertical that gives the effect of the sound swirling around the room.

Just moving in circle is not the same thing.

But that doesn't stop them-----------------
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2013, 07:10:46 PM »

There have been a number of rotating cabinets-but many simply "miss the boat" in understanding what makes the leslie what it is.  It is HORIZONTAL rotation-NOT vertical that gives the effect of the sound swirling around the room.

Maybe if you laid it on its back and placed an inverted cone pointing toward the axis of rotation.....
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2013, 08:56:52 PM »

Maybe if you laid it on its back and placed an inverted cone pointing toward the axis of rotation.....
It would still not make it "spin" around the room and reflect off of walls and such.

I have heard some of the copies-and while they do give some "movement" to the sound-they (at least the ones I have heard) are NOTHING like a old Leslie 147.  And none of them had the "growl" of the 147.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Bob L. Wilson

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2013, 09:10:52 AM »

I agree this configuration won't sound like a Leslie but the doppler effect will be present and audible in some fashion. I imagine a stereo pair of directional mics pointed at the baffle offset from center would pickup lots of frequency shift, it might sound cool or stupid but it would be audible.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2013, 01:08:15 PM »

I agree this configuration won't sound like a Leslie but the doppler effect will be present and audible in some fashion. I imagine a stereo pair of directional mics pointed at the baffle offset from center would pickup lots of frequency shift, it might sound cool or stupid but it would be audible.
To really understand-you have to go back in time a bit.  Why was the rotationg Leslie developed?

One reason was to try to simulate a large pipe organ in a reverberant room.  In that situation-there is sound coming at you from all directions-AROUND the room.

So by leaving the drivers stationary and using rotating horns in the horizontal plane-the sound would tend to bounce around the room and as the angle of the horn changed-the angle of the reflection would also change-giving it the "swirling" sound.

When they were developed-I am sure miking it did not even occur-since you simply didn't do that back then.

I still hold that while you would appear to get "some movement"-it is nothing like loudspeaker rotating in the horizontal plane.  At least the ones I have heard.  It would lack the "envelopement".

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2013, 01:25:55 PM »

True and some of the pipe organs had pipes in different locations.  Giovanni Gabriele wrote music for small brass groups to stand in the various areas of the St Michaels Cathedral and play brass choirs in various patterns and circles around the room.   One of the big reasons the B3 with a Leslie was popular has to do with the sound and the fact you could move it.  Bands were able to reproduce with that organ lots of sounds and provide good backing tracks as needed plus the solos.   

Nick Simon

• Dark Side of the Moon, MS
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2013, 02:09:51 PM »

looks to me like somebdy had a dryer (or giant box fan), some speakers, some plywood, a bag of weed, and a couple days off... ;)

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2013, 02:09:51 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 25 queries.