ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Direct box with XLR input  (Read 27797 times)

Geoff Doane

• Halifax, NS
Re: Direct box with XLR input
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2013, 01:44:13 PM »

BSS Audio AR-133 Active DI Box @ 179 each ($360)

EWI DBRC-2A 2 channel passive direct box @ $49.50 

The BSS input is not balanced, and has unity gain unless you switch in the pad.  It seems like a lot of money to spend for what is essentially a pad.

The trouble with cheap passive DIs is they have small transformers which saturate easily at low frequencies and high levels (exactly the situation you will have will a DJ).

I'd look into a couple XLR barrel pads (you can make your own), and I think we discussed this a little while ago:

http://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php?topic=141375.0

GTD

P.S.  Just discovered the link within the link above is broken.  This one works:

http://audiopile.net/products/Adaptors_Connectors/Adaptors/AP_XLR_PAD/XLR_PAD_cutsheet.shtml
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 01:51:53 PM by Geoff Doane »

Joseph D. Macry

• Austin TX
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2013, 02:09:19 PM »

I am looking for suggestions on  Direct boxs to pad down pioneer Dj mixers.  The newest pioneer djm mixers do not have a 1/4 inch master out. They only have a XLR output and RCA output. So I either need a DI with a XLR input or a RCA input.  The mix wiz pad does not pad it enough when the dj mixer is maxed out.

I found models
BSS Audio AR-133 Active DI Box @ 179 each ($360)

EWI DBRC-2A 2 channel passive direct box @ $49.50 

The EWI could also be used for people that give me a 1/8 source or RCA source

rig
Mixwiz 16
Drive rack pa ( over easy limiter)
DBX for brick wall limiter
QSC KW 153 / Kw18 
KW12 monitors

Radial ProAV1/2
http://www.radialeng.com/r2011/proav.php
Joseph Macry,
Austin, TX

Patrick Tracy

• SR Forums
  • Boulder, CO, USA
    • Boulder Sound Guy
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2013, 02:11:38 PM »

I'd look into a couple XLR barrel pads (you can make your own), and I think we discussed this a little while ago:

That's effectively the same as adapting to TRS and it doesn't solve the (presumed) ground problem. If it's just a level matching problem then the best solution is to connect the line level balanced signal to a line level balanced input. Why make things more complicated than they have to be?

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2013, 02:20:40 PM »

I am looking for suggestions on  Direct boxs to pad down pioneer Dj mixers.  The newest pioneer djm mixers do not have a 1/4 inch master out. They only have a XLR output and RCA output. So I either need a DI with a XLR input or a RCA input.  The mix wiz pad does not pad it enough when the dj mixer is maxed out.

If you're going XLR out from the DJ mixer into the MixWiz XLR ins, you're going into a mic level input and then using the onboard pad to knock it down.  But if you use an XLR>TRS cable out of the DJ mixer into the line input of the Wiz and then using the pad, you'll get closer to a usable level.

I'll check the schematic to make sure, but I think this should do it for you.

Otherwise, Switchcraft makes a stereo DI with TS and RCA inputs.  Two models, one with Jensen transformers for about $380 and a cheaper one.

Edit:

Yup.  The pad is in line with either input, so you get the inherent signal diminution plus the pad on the line input.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 02:24:19 PM by dick rees »
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Frank DeWitt

• LBP DI Box
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2013, 02:32:09 PM »

Two sources.  http://www.jensen-transformers.com/pixxpoxx.html  Jensen will put one of these together with XLR in and any out you want.  The only down side is no ground lift.

I will build you one (I make and sell DI boxes.) It will have a TRS input wired balanced signal on Tip and Ring. You will need a XLR to TRS cable.   Clock on my Sig for details.
Not to Code

Patrick Tracy

• SR Forums
  • Boulder, CO, USA
    • Boulder Sound Guy
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2013, 03:20:59 PM »

You will need a XLR to TRS cable.

And quite possible nothing else.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2013, 03:56:43 PM »

And quite possible nothing else.

Yup.

Running the XLR outputs from the DJ mixer into the line inputs using the XLR>TRS cables and using the 30dB pads on the Wiz should give you 45dB of reduction.  If that's not enough .......

TURN THE MIXER DOWN.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Andre Vare

• Hamilton, ON Canada
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2013, 04:17:07 PM »

But if you use an XLR>TRS cable out of the DJ mixer into the line input of the Wiz and then using the pad, you'll get closer to a usable level.
This makes the most sense and is the cheapest.

Andre

Nate Armstrong

« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2013, 04:22:09 PM »

You will need a XLR to TRS cable.
I looked in the mixwiz manual
XLR input sensitivity -60 to +10 db
TRS input sensitivity -40 to +10 db
Pad in (MIC or LINE) >10k ohm, -20dB

The Pioneer DJ mixer has a +22 DB sensitivity   
I would think with the pad activated on the MW I would only have a +2 db at the line input of the Mixwiz  but it seems way hotter than that.  I have to turn the gain almost all the way off ( -8 db ) to not have a clipped signal when they red line the pioneer.

Edit
I just realized something .. There are 2 diagrams on the MW trim pot  -10 to + 40 and 10db to +60
I have been looking at the TRS diagram and not the XLR diagram this entire time. So when I thought I was at 0DB i was actually at 20 DB because I was using XLR mic input    ( wow i feel dumb )

The BSS input is not balanced, and has unity gain unless you switch in the pad.  It seems like a lot of money to spend for what is essentially a pad.

The trouble with cheap passive DIs is they have small transformers which saturate easily at low frequencies and high levels (exactly the situation you will have will a DJ).

http://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php?topic=141375.0

GTD

P.S.  Just discovered the link within the link above is broken.  This one works:

http://audiopile.net/products/Adaptors_Connectors/Adaptors/AP_XLR_PAD/XLR_PAD_cutsheet.shtml

I rather not purchase 2 more DI's if not needed especially at such a high price.  Really all I need is a Pad
Can I get some advice on what pad to get
I am leaning towards the 30 DB pad  would that be to much ?
The Pioneer mixer is rated at +22 DB

I may not need a Pad at all if I use a TRS jack. I am going to test it when I get home. I dont have a DJM but i still should be able to replicate it..

Basically I just want a clean close to 0 DB signal into my board and a clean signal out to my PA
What do I need to accomplish that ? 

Nate Armstrong

« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2013, 04:29:57 PM »

To me it seems like Dick ,Patrick and frank are all correct and I just need a XLR to TRS to plus the built in Pad on the mixer.  Like I stated early I will test this sometime this week.

Glad I asked instead of just going out and buying expensive Di's

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2013, 04:29:57 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.018 seconds with 21 queries.