ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Direct box with XLR input  (Read 27796 times)

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
Re: Direct box with XLR input
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2013, 04:41:54 PM »

To me it seems like Dick ,Patrick and frank are all correct and I just need a XLR to TRS to plus the built in Pad on the mixer.  Like I stated early I will test this sometime this week.

Glad I asked instead of just going out and buying expensive Di's

Split the money you saved and send us each 1/3.

DR
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Greg_Cameron

• Cameron Pro Audio
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2013, 04:42:16 PM »

To me it seems like Dick ,Patrick and frank are all correct and I just need a XLR to TRS to plus the built in Pad on the mixer.  Like I stated early I will test this sometime this week.

Better grab a pair of pin 1 lift barrels while you're at it then in the event of ground loop noise. But that doesn't always do the trick if the noise is coupled through the active circuitry as well - in which case only transformers will solve the issue.
"Procrastinators of the world - contemplate uniting!"

Cameron Pro Audio

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2013, 04:44:42 PM »

Better grab a pair of pin 1 lift barrels while you're at it then in the event of ground loop noise. But that doesn't always do the trick if the noise is coupled through the active circuitry as well - in which case only transformers will solve the issue.

Hey, now.....

You tryin' to make this a 4-way split? ;D
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Marlow Wilson

• Ottawa/Montreal CAN
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2013, 04:49:15 PM »

I can't remember what it is without being in front of one, but if you power up the newer DJM mixers while holding down the right button(s) you can access a menu to attenuate the master output by 3 or 6 dB. 

I think the button is 'utility' (while powering on) but check for yourself.

Tracy Garner

« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2013, 08:04:18 PM »

I am looking for suggestions on  Direct boxs to pad down pioneer Dj mixers.  The newest pioneer djm mixers do not have a 1/4 inch master out. They only have a XLR output and RCA output. So I either need a DI with a XLR input or a RCA input.  The mix wiz pad does not pad it enough when the dj mixer is maxed out.

I found models
BSS Audio AR-133 Active DI Box @ 179 each ($360)

EWI DBRC-2A 2 channel passive direct box @ $49.50 

The EWI could also be used for people that give me a 1/8 source or RCA source

rig
Mixwiz 16
Drive rack pa ( over easy limiter)
DBX for brick wall limiter
QSC KW 153 / Kw18 
KW12 monitors

I have used the MixWiz to DJ Mixer setup many many times. The pad on the MixWiz works fine by itself. But if you have a DJ that insists on going in the red, put a BBE882 in between the DJ mixer and the MixWiz input. Call me crazy but it acts as the coolest soft limiter and it actually gives the harshness the DJ is trying to achieve when driving the mixer into the red. Also it compensates for the various bitrate MP3/WAV/FLAC/AIFF files the DJ is using. Let the BBE levels run as hot as you want and it won't overload the MixWiz input.

Geoff Doane

• Halifax, NS
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2013, 09:49:31 PM »

That's effectively the same as adapting to TRS and it doesn't solve the (presumed) ground problem. If it's just a level matching problem then the best solution is to connect the line level balanced signal to a line level balanced input. Why make things more complicated than they have to be?

What's more complicated, XLR-TRS adpaters or XLR pads?  It seems like 6 of one, half a dozen of the other.  At least the XLRs lock.  :)

The OP doesn't mention which generation of MixWiz he has, but the current one lists the same maximum input level for either line input (TRS) or mic input with pad (+30 dBu).  On my old GL2000s, the mic input with the pad engaged was exactly the same as the line input (except that you could apply phantom power to the XLR).  The current MixWiz, and I suspect the older ones, follows that design.  If the DJs really are overloading the padded mic input, they'll do the same to the TRS line input if all you use is a simple adapter.

GTD

Josh Daws

« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2013, 10:35:39 PM »

i use a Radial ProAV/AV2 DI box...FOR ALOT...laptops, DJ mixers, iPODS etc. i know it doesn't have the XLR in...but it has 1/8", 1/4", RCA, and loop outs for each, plus the XLR out. these retail at about the $129 mark...

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2013, 11:14:40 PM »

i use a Radial ProAV/AV2 DI box...FOR ALOT...laptops, DJ mixers, iPODS etc. i know it doesn't have the XLR in...but it has 1/8", 1/4", RCA, and loop outs for each, plus the XLR out. these retail at about the $129 mark...

Go back upthread and read my first post.  Then go to Radial's site.

The AV1 indeed does have XLR input and output.  What it lacks is a PAD between the XLR in and the transformer.

The AV2 does NOT have the XLR input.  The space was needed for the other output.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Craig Hauber

• Mondak Sound Design - Plentywood MT/Grenora ND
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2013, 11:31:20 PM »

I know everyone has talked about a simple cable, but for years I've been using the Klark Teknik DI boxes for exactly this purpose.
I've found the audio out of the XLR's sounds slightly better than the rca's on the mixer and I've always seemed to be stuck with boards that don't have enough pad on the XLR's  The box also solves any ground loop issues as well.
(Although lately I've been using a 722 Dominator as the ultimate DJ interface :)

I am looking for suggestions on  Direct boxs to pad down pioneer Dj mixers.  The newest pioneer djm mixers do not have a 1/4 inch master out. They only have a XLR output and RCA output. So I either need a DI with a XLR input or a RCA input.  The mix wiz pad does not pad it enough when the dj mixer is maxed out.

I found models
BSS Audio AR-133 Active DI Box @ 179 each ($360)

EWI DBRC-2A 2 channel passive direct box @ $49.50 

The EWI could also be used for people that give me a 1/8 source or RCA source

rig
Mixwiz 16
Drive rack pa ( over easy limiter)
DBX for brick wall limiter
QSC KW 153 / Kw18 
KW12 monitors
Craig Hauber
Mondak Sound Design
-Live PA
-Installs
-Theatre

Earl F Young

« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2013, 11:52:18 PM »

http://artproaudio.com/artcessories/di_boxes/product/xdirect/      $29/ea at B&H. decent for this purpose.. .

Go back upthread and read my first post.  Then go to Radial's site.

The AV1 indeed does have XLR input and output.  What it lacks is a PAD between the XLR in and the transformer.

The AV2 does NOT have the XLR input.  The space was needed for the other output.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2013, 11:52:18 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 20 queries.