ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Please help this stupid man  (Read 4096 times)

Jordan McGehee

Please help this stupid man
« on: February 12, 2013, 11:54:19 AM »

Ok, I just updated to the new 1.1 firmare for the Allen and Heath GLD-80 digital mixer for our church and I didn't realize I had to backup my scenes. Everything is gone! So unless there is something I don't know I have to start from scratch. We used the old settings from our old board to use as a template for the GLD-80. However, I can't seem to find those. It had the settings for the 31 band EQ and all the EQ settings for all the channels. I have never had to start from scratch before (as the person who setup our first board is no longer here or able to help us) so any help would be appreciated. This mixer is for a church and the room dimensions are 24 feet wide and 65 feet long with paneling walls on the sides and polyurethane resin brick on the platform where the mics and instruments are.. I am really scared about tackling the 31 band EQ and don't know how to "tune the room". Also would like advice for EQ on lapel mics. Please help someone!  :-[

[email protected]

• Traveling Monkey Sound
Re: Please help this stupid man
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 01:54:21 AM »

Ok, I just updated to the new 1.1 firmare for the Allen and Heath GLD-80 digital mixer for our church and I didn't realize I had to backup my scenes. Everything is gone! So unless there is something I don't know I have to start from scratch. We used the old settings from our old board to use as a template for the GLD-80. However, I can't seem to find those. It had the settings for the 31 band EQ and all the EQ settings for all the channels. I have never had to start from scratch before (as the person who setup our first board is no longer here or able to help us) so any help would be appreciated. This mixer is for a church and the room dimensions are 24 feet wide and 65 feet long with paneling walls on the sides and polyurethane resin brick on the platform where the mics and instruments are.. I am really scared about tackling the 31 band EQ and don't know how to "tune the room". Also would like advice for EQ on lapel mics. Please help someone!  :-[

Jordan,

Perhaps someone knows of an undo, but I don't.

Missing from your description of the space are the height, composition of every wall, all architectural details, the 3d position and types of speakers, amps, processors, the position of every physical object in the space, microphones, instruments, etc...

Sorry to say that no one will be able to give you a list of settings to fix this remotely. What you need is someone who does know how to tune the setup. I'm sure there are some capable folks on this forum. Where did you say you are located?
Anything that makes a noise is satisfactory to a crowd.

~Charles Dickens

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2013, 06:47:22 AM »

Maybe you can use this as an opportunity to justify hiring someone to come in to setup the new console and help you better understand it.  And to show you how to create backup show and scene files.

One factor in the "tune the room" (although you are actually tuning the system and not the room) aspect is whether the console is used to provide all of the speaker system processing or if there is a separate speaker processor somewhere and the console processing is used more for artistic/subjective purposes.

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2013, 09:10:47 AM »

Jordan, even if you gave every room spec asked for in this thread, it still won't help, as it's impossible to tune a room over the internet.  You need someone onsite.

Post your location - there may be someone in your area that may be willing to come over and help you.  Even investing a few hundred dollars in a qualified person's time would be a huge help.

Bob L. Wilson

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2013, 10:11:51 AM »

If you are talking true emergency like tune for an Ash Wednesday service tonight and no qualified person is available, then your only option is the "feedback method". You can google it around the web quite a few places. Use something like a Shure SM58 to ring out the room first then put a set of chainsaw ear muffs on a volunteer wearing the lavalier and have them stand or walk where your pastor does. Notch the Lav mic on the channel strip if needed. Won't be great but will get you by until a professional can come in.

Kent Thompson

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2013, 01:15:58 PM »

That is the price of not having a backup...One thing I do with our iLive is I have multiple copies of our shows. I keep a usb stick permanently in the surface and copy to it once a week after service. Secondly I keep another copy after every major change I make on another USB stick which I keep in my laptop bag (just in case something really bad happens to the usb stick in the surface). You would be wise to come up with a system that works for you so in the future you can avoid this type of thing.

Last but not the least ALWAYS read the patch notes. Read them a few times and make notes of the gotchas. http://www.allen-heath.com/UK/Products/Documents/Release%20Notes%20GLD%20firmware%20V1.10.pdf

According to the patch notes it does not erase the user defined shows it only resets the default templates. If you were saving everything to a default template then you will lose those settings. If you in fact had user defined shows they should still be there. The lesson here is to make user defined shows to store your setting in.

One more tip is Make libraries for all your mix and input channel settings. Use the same back up procedures you define to back them up as well so you can simply recall the settings.

I would head over to the A&H website and download and read the Users guide. http://www.allen-heath.com/UK/Products/pages/ProductDetails.aspx?catId=GLDSeries&SubCatId=&ProductId=GLD80#tabset-tab-4   It may not all make sense the first read but, you will learn a lot about your GLD like that.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2013, 01:15:58 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 24 queries.