ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Australian touring logistics  (Read 8999 times)

Roland Clarke

Re: Australian touring logistics
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2013, 05:11:23 AM »

Jason,

The majority of Australians live on the east coast so the area is very well serviced. You won't have any problems getting your desk of choice in Brisbane, Sydney and Melbourne. In Canberra, your supplier might have to get a desk out of Sydney. Canberran's crosshire out of Sydney/Melbourne a lot so it's not unusual.

As you go West, you'll have less options. However, it seems Adelaide and Perth have what you want anyway. Perth is an extremely isolated city so people tend to hire local production.

Be aware that Australian airlines have been getting much stricter regarding excess luggage in the last 18 months, so factor that into your thinking.

As others have said, Oceania will be able to look after you in NZ.

Regards,

Dj.

Maybe this is a stupid idea, but with a show running only 20 inputs, why not build an alternative version on an LS9.  If by any chance you can't get a profile or SC48 in any of those venue's, an LS9 has got to be the easiest hire in the world.

That being said, I'd call the venue's and see what they have already and if they can rent an Avid for you.

Gareth Marsh

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2013, 05:29:24 AM »

At least two of the venues have Venues, so I think that is what I will do, Jim.  I just wonder how hard it will be to get a Venue in Canberra and Wellington.

There are definitely SC48s in Auckland, and while there may not be one in Wellington its not a major deal to get one shipped down - the beauty of a small country.

I have found that most companies in Aussie are quite willing to deal with most locations around the east, and again Canberra is close to Sydney so it shouldn't be too costly to get gear across. On one show I did over there we shipped between Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane on a modest budget. If you have Adelaide and Perth covered then the rest are a lot easier logistics wise.

HTH

Gareth

Jason Raboin

• Klondike Sound
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2013, 10:26:25 AM »

Maybe this is a stupid idea, but with a show running only 20 inputs, why not build an alternative version on an LS9.  If by any chance you can't get a profile or SC48 in any of those venue's, an LS9 has got to be the easiest hire in the world.

Because they don't sound good.

Jason Raboin
Partner
Klondike Sound

Jason Raboin

• Klondike Sound
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2013, 10:34:16 AM »

Thanks for all of the input.  I assumed that getting what I need sourced locally would make the most sense, but I was curious if Avid consoles would be easily sourced.  It seems they are. 

I also wondered if, because bands tour there, and most bands want their own backline, there existed an infrastructure to move gear from city to city at a relatively reasonable cost.  Both of the festival tours I did provided truck space for backline.

With the mileages involved and the high cost of labor, I think that 10 extra baggage charges and possibly 2console shipments will be the most cost effective way to get what we need.
Jason Raboin
Partner
Klondike Sound

richard mcmenamin

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2013, 01:52:24 PM »

Western Audio Engineering have a Profile in Wellington.

www.westernaudio.co.nz

Make sure to bring a good jacket!

Rich.

Hi.  I am doing 8 shows in Australia and New Zealand spread out over 4 weeks and am trying to figure out some of the logistics.  Maybe some of you can help.

6/8  Adelaide Festival Theatre  (www.adelaidefestivalcentre.com.au)
8/8 Melbourne Hamer Hall  (www.artscentremelbourne.com.au)
12/8 Brisbane Concert Hall  (www.qpac.com.au)
16/8 Perth Concert Hall  (www.perthconcerthall.com.au)
20/8 Sydney Opera House  (www.sydneyoperahouse.com)
24/8 Canberra Theatre  (www.canberratheatrecentre.com.au)
29/8 Auckland Civic Theatre (www.the-edge.co.nz)
31/8 Wellington Michael Fowler Centre  (www.pwv.co.nz)

Usually I carry an Avid SC48, which the artist owns.  The show is around 20 channels.  I usually mix monitors from this console as well as house.  It's 4 wedge mixes and 2 in ear mixes (main and spare).  We also usually carry all of our own mics, stands, cables, etc.

I'm trying to figure out what will make the most sense for consistency without killing the budget.

One option is to rent a console and the rest of it for the duration and hire a small truck to move it.  It seems renting a truck/driver and equipment for a month only to be used on 8 shows will be very expensive.

I could ship our stuff from the US, but I imagine that shipping will be even more expensive than renting locally for the month.

Another option would be to rent an Avid console in each city if the venue doesn't already have one.  I know they are already in house in Perth and Adelaide.  I am not sure if they are available in all of the other cities.

The final option would be to hire another engineer to do either foh or monitors and not carry consoles at all.  I don't think I can dial up mains and all those mixes on a different console each day.

Backline is only guitars and percussion.  It will all go on flights as luggage if necessary.

Any other ideas?  Insights?

Warren Hook

« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2013, 09:56:26 AM »

Eclipse Lighting & Sound have an Avid Profile in Canberra.

[email protected]

Ask for Chris, tell him Waz sent you :-)

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2013, 09:56:26 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 25 queries.