ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hey Frelancers: Health Insurance?  (Read 1514 times)

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
Hey Frelancers: Health Insurance?
« on: February 16, 2013, 09:34:22 PM »

For you guys who work as frelancers, what do you do for health insurance?

Is there anything in the upcoming Affordable Care Act that will help people who work as freelancers and contractors with getting health insurance?

I'm ready to leave my current job, but the health insurance for my family is pretty much the only thing keeping me here.

(I'm not interested in making this political, but I think we need a discussion on what's available, and may may be changing as there are alot of people in our industry (and other parts of the gig economy) that are affected either by no health insurance or want to find way of getting it.)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 09:59:20 PM by Justice C. Bigler »
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Lee Buckalew

• Classic LAB
  • St. Louis, MO area
    • Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
Re: Hey Frelancers: Health Insurance?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2013, 10:17:12 PM »

For you guys who work as frelancers, what do you do for health insurance?

Is there anything in the upcoming Affordable Care Act that will help people who work as freelancers and contractors with getting health insurance?

I'm ready to leave my current job, but the health insurance for my family is pretty much the only thing keeping me here.

(I'm not interested in making this political, but I think we need a discussion on what's available, and may may be changing as there are alot of people in our industry (and other parts of the gig economy) that are affected either by no health insurance or want to find way of getting it.)

I do not yet know how the Affordable Care Act will affect things. 
I have carried my own personal insurance for years now.  Whole family (6).  We recently changed to a high deductible policy that qualified for an HSA account. 
Our previous policy had co-pays and a deductible.  The policy cost almost $1900.00/month and had a $1500.00 family deductible per year plus co-pays for every office visit and prescription when we changed it over to a high deductible with HSA. 
The high deductible policy started at less then $900.00/month, has a $3,000.00 family deductible and, once the deductible is met, has no co-pays for doctor visits or prescription meds.  The HSA account allows you to put $6,250.00 per year into a Health Savings Account and use the money on qualified medical expenses (like your deductible).  The $6250.00 is deductible from your adjusted income for tax purposes (it is not a deduction it is a reduction in your AGI)  I don't have dental or vision with this plan.  It's through Blue Cross/Blue Shield but there are many plans out there. 
I know there are changes coming for HSA's due to the ACA but I do not yet know what they entail.

Lee
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

Jason Raboin

• Klondike Sound
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 08:58:16 AM »

If the rest of the states do things similarly to what we have done here in MA, health insurance will be fairly affordable.  Look at the Commonwealth Choice site.  You can put in your age and it will show you all of the options.

https://www.mahealthconnector.org/portal/site/connector/template.PAGE/menuitem.55b6e23ac6627f40dbef6f47d7468a0c
Jason Raboin
Partner
Klondike Sound

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 08:58:16 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 25 queries.