ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sound recs for an open air cruise  (Read 2471 times)

Steve Remos

Sound recs for an open air cruise
« on: February 13, 2013, 11:45:00 AM »

I'm doing an event in the summer that will be on a cruise ship for approx 1500-2500 people. It is going to be out on an open deck. Any thoughts/recs on how to go estimating how much additional sound would be needed compared to a regualr outdoor event. I'm guessing the cross winds will affect the sound.

John Penkala

Re: Sound recs for an open air cruise
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 11:55:08 AM »

I'm doing an event in the summer that will be on a cruise ship for approx 1500-2500 people. It is going to be out on an open deck. Any thoughts/recs on how to go estimating how much additional sound would be needed compared to a regualr outdoor event. I'm guessing the cross winds will affect the sound.

I would think that the 1500-2500 number is the total passenger capacity of the ship. I don't know of any ship that has an open deck space that would hold that many people at once. Most of the time the deck runs around the ship with rooms, restaurants, gyms and other activity center in the middle. Most of the really open areas are near outdoor pools, etc. I think that the area you are likely to cover will be much smaller than you are anticipating.

JP

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2013, 11:55:41 AM »

Who says there are cross winds?  Unless you know which way the wind will be blowing-the direction of the ship and the speed-there may be no "wind" at all-that you feel.

When trying to "estimate" sound needed-the number of people is pretty worthless.  It is the physical size of the AREA you want to cover-how loud it needs to be (be sure to state A and C weighted and fast or slow response times).  Estimated headroom would also be nice to know.

Is this hard techno that you are trying to create an indoor type club sound-or smooth jazz?  Those have VERY different sound requirements.

Then you have the whole issue of "where can you put the PA".  That may or may not be a big factor.

Do you have unlimited power available?  OR is that going to be an issue-such as having to use speakers with higher sensitivities and so forth.

So basically you need to provide a lot more information.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Steve Remos

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2013, 12:15:22 PM »

it is mainly electronic/club music. I'm still waiting on the technical details as we are just in the preliminary stages.

As far as winds, I'm not sure if there will be any I just want to assume there will be and be prepared in that event

@JP that was my initial thought as well. just going on the info I have right now

Who says there are cross winds?  Unless you know which way the wind will be blowing-the direction of the ship and the speed-there may be no "wind" at all-that you feel.

When trying to "estimate" sound needed-the number of people is pretty worthless.  It is the physical size of the AREA you want to cover-how loud it needs to be (be sure to state A and C weighted and fast or slow response times).  Estimated headroom would also be nice to know.

Is this hard techno that you are trying to create an indoor type club sound-or smooth jazz?  Those have VERY different sound requirements.

Then you have the whole issue of "where can you put the PA".  That may or may not be a big factor.

Do you have unlimited power available?  OR is that going to be an issue-such as having to use speakers with higher sensitivities and so forth.

So basically you need to provide a lot more information.

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2013, 01:11:17 PM »

Being retired navy.  the power on ship might be balanced with 60 v hot, 60 v common and ground.  check if they have special power needs or safety inspections/requirments.  Do not leave them plugged in when not in use.  Same for the computers and power chargers.  I think there was an article on a Depenedents cruise from the west coast Aircraft Carrier.   

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2013, 01:11:17 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 21 queries.