ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Alto Professional TRUESONIC TSsub18  (Read 18052 times)

Craig Leerman

• Global Moderator
  • Do Not Read This!
Alto Professional TRUESONIC TSsub18
« on: February 09, 2013, 11:59:07 PM »

Alto Professional TRUESONIC TSsub18

By Craig Leerman

The TRUESONIC Series from Alto Professional consists of a variety of self-powered full-range loudspeakers and subwoofers. I recently checked out the TSsub18, the largest sub in the series, loaded with a single 18-inch cone driver (with 3-inch copper sandwich voice coil) in a vented enclosure. Other sub models include a dual 12-inch and a single 15-inch.

The TSsub18 is very well built, with an 18 mm birch plywood cabinet, pole mount, rubber feet, and a sturdy grill protecting the cone driver. It measures 28.6 x 20.7 x 22.8 inches (h x w x d) and weighs just over 77 pounds. Via the recessed handles on both sides, I had no problems lifting and positioning the cabinet by myself and easily moved a pair of them on a hand truck. Optional wheels are also available.

View of the metal side handle and pole cup:

Frequency response is stated as 37 Hz to 125 Hz (-10 dB), and maximum SPL (at 1 meter) is listed as 123 dB continuous and 126 dB peak. The onboard power amplifier delivers 600 watts continuous and 1,200 watts peak. The amplifier panel offers two inputs. The “left/mono” input accepts 1/4-inch/TRS or XLR connectors, while the “right” input accepts just XLR.

Two link outputs are available for connecting additional full-range loudspeakers or subwoofers, with another two outputs (for additional loudspeakers) that can be configured with a recessed bypass switch that activates a high-pass filter at 80 Hz.

User controls on the panel include volume knob, ground switch and phase switch. Also included are an IEC power input for a detachable power cable, on/off switch and power indication LED.

View of the rear panel:

Lower Octaves
In the shop, hooking up the two TSsub18s I received for evaluation was a breeze, thanks to a variety of inputs and outputs. With stereo inputs available, you can use the sub as a single unit with a pair of tops or run in mono and use one or more subs per side with a full-range top. I checked them out with both active and passive tops, and they provided a nice solid bottom end with everything I paired them with.

With 10-inch coaxial top cabinets from my inventory, they had more than enough bottom end to do any of the smaller “corporates” that are a steady part of my business. With one of my larger 15-inch and horn top boxes, they filled out the lower octaves nicely, falling just a little short on output at very high volume.

This is to be expected of most single-driver, smaller-format subwoofers, and it’s why I run multiple driver or horn-loaded subs with this particular high-output loudspeaker. The TSsub18 is not intended to be a large-scale touring subwoofer, but is well engineered for applications like small to medium corporate events, DJs, band gigs and so on.

Solid Output
In the field, I first used them for a dance recital in a ballroom. I was a little worried that there might not have enough bottom end for this large room, so I also carried along a pair of larger subs from my inventory.

The TSsub18s were positioned in front of the stage, side by side in the center, flanked by my larger subs at the left and right of the stage. Each set of subs was on its own aux, so I could do some comparisons before the event as well as dial in what was needed during the show.

At sound check, the TSsub18s had very little output, with a quick look revealing the problem – one of the phase switches was accidentally engaged, so the subs were cancelling each other out. A quick push of the switch and all was well.

While the TSsub18s weren’t quite as loud as my other subs (which have dual drivers in a bigger box and are powered by a much larger amplifier), they still supplied very solid output. I ended up using all four subs together, with the TSsub18s delivering much of the “thump” for the dance tracks.

Next up was a ribbon cutting ceremony held outdoors, where we supplied background music before the spoken word event. A single TSsub18 proved perfect for this application, delivering more than enough output for the event. Moving the units around, I noticed that the paint scuffs but it’s nothing a little shot of spray paint can’t fix.

The bottom line is that the TSsub18 delivers exactly what you want – solid and consistent low-end program with appropriate thump when you need it – at a great price to performance ratio. I especially like the multitude of inputs and outputs, making it easy to interface other gear. Combined with the full-range TRUESONIC models, it’s a solid package to meet the needs of a wide range of applications.

U.S. MSRP: $799.99
I'm so old, when I was doing FOH for Tommy Dorsey, to balance out the horn section I would slide their chairs downstage and upstage to mix!

TechWorksReno.com
Facebook.com/TechWorksReno
Pinterest.com/TechWorks0492

John Moore

• "learning the hard way sucks donkey kong"
    • Trinity Productions
Re: Alto Professional TRUESONIC TSsub18
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2013, 11:35:16 PM »

we have a pair of these in our rental inventory...used 2 of them to do a movie night in a park with 2 of the TS115A on top and covered 600 peeps with Kung Fu Panda ! Not bad for the price point at all...also, put wheels on the back and not the bottom as designed...not very stable if you put a speaker on top of it on a pole...
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 03:10:59 PM by John Moore »
http://www.trinityprosound.com 209-832-8023
DEALER:Dealer for Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, Danley Sound Labs, VTC, Allen & Heath, Ashly, Denon,  Audix, One Systems, Beyerdynamic, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate,  Trusst, Road Ready, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, dB Technologies, RCF, American Audio,  Rapco, CBI Cables, ADJ, Chauvet, Blizzard, Furman, Shure, Tascam, Elite Screens,  BenQ, Midas, Digico,  and many many more...

ProSoundWeb Community

Re: Alto Professional TRUESONIC TSsub18
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2013, 11:35:16 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 23 queries.