ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Monitors for Band: IEMs or wedges  (Read 28067 times)

chris harwood

Re: Monitors for Band: IEMs or wedges
« Reply #50 on: February 15, 2013, 05:43:12 PM »

Jason, I think they were talking about our praise band...j/k

"Noodlers" drive me nuts...  we have a very talented guitar player that between songs is everywhere from SRV to Jimmy Page to Yngvie Malmsteen, then when the song starts, is lost.... ::)

or ditching the chord chart and putting actual sheet music in front of them will shut 'em up.... old joke, I guess but fantastically true.

Tim Padrick

• Indianapolis
    • T.P. Audio

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #52 on: February 18, 2013, 10:12:01 PM »

I would not want anything without protective limiters.  : http://www.rockonaudio.com/?page=PKG-001, this: http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Shure-P4HW-Hardwired-Bodypack-for-PSM-400-Systems?sku=243606, and this http://www.peavey.com/products/accessories/power/index.cfm/item/117093/number/03001320/HB2HeadPhoneAmplifier.cfm (although the limiter is a bit too accessible for my taste).

Actually, that peavey unit is the only one with a useful limiter because it's adjustable.  People often forget that IEM sensitivity varies a great deal.  I've got two sets of customs myself.  With one set, anything over 5 on my belt pack caves my head in.  With the others (which were quite a bit MORE expensive) 7 is just enough to get the job done.  Any preset limiter is gonna either squash the latter too early, or fail to protect my ears when I'm using the former.

On a hard wired rig, a separate limiter (aphex dominator is the standard) is a much better solution since you can adjust the levels, but still keep the controls away from those pesky musos.  On a wireless rig, it's very important to use the same limiter on the input, but also pay close attention to gain structure.  If you don't hit the transmitter hard enough, the musician will turn their beltpack up louder.  If they get an RF hit with the beltpack up too loud, there is serious danger of hearing damage.  this is a problem I have personally experienced and it is very painful.

So, in summary.  Preset limiters on beltpacks/headphone amps = bad.  Adjustable limiters on transmitter/headphone amp input = good.
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Nick Simon

• Dark Side of the Moon, MS
« Reply #53 on: February 19, 2013, 09:28:12 AM »

This is where precision applied feedback can be useful...   ;)

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #54 on: February 19, 2013, 02:56:22 PM »

I hate to say I have done that a couple times. The band was driving me nuts and I was trying to get their attention without yelling through the monitors,or looking like a monkey waving at nobody. HMMMMMMM twist and squeeeeeeeelllll. After a bunch of wo, wo, wo's, what was that? I can chime in and say alright now that I have your attention, lets actually do something productive.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
Re: Re: Monitors for Band: IEMs or wedges
« Reply #55 on: February 19, 2013, 05:00:21 PM »

I hate to say I have done that a couple times. The band was driving me nuts and I was trying to get their attention without yelling through the monitors,or looking like a monkey waving at nobody. HMMMMMMM twist and squeeeeeeeelllll. After a bunch of wo, wo, wo's, what was that? I can chime in and say alright now that I have your attention, lets actually do something productive.

I just sing into the talk back mic.

The feedback would usually sound better.
Jay Barracato

Nick Simon

• Dark Side of the Moon, MS
« Reply #56 on: February 19, 2013, 05:07:04 PM »

watch a prima-donna guitar player squirm trying to get an IEM out during one of his noodling yngvie moments.... 8)

Jason Lucas

• Hillsboro, OR, USA
« Reply #57 on: February 19, 2013, 05:39:45 PM »

Actually, that peavey unit is the only one with a useful limiter because it's adjustable.  People often forget that IEM sensitivity varies a great deal.  I've got two sets of customs myself.  With one set, anything over 5 on my belt pack caves my head in.  With the others (which were quite a bit MORE expensive) 7 is just enough to get the job done.  Any preset limiter is gonna either squash the latter too early, or fail to protect my ears when I'm using the former.

On a hard wired rig, a separate limiter (aphex dominator is the standard) is a much better solution since you can adjust the levels, but still keep the controls away from those pesky musos.  On a wireless rig, it's very important to use the same limiter on the input, but also pay close attention to gain structure.  If you don't hit the transmitter hard enough, the musician will turn their beltpack up louder.  If they get an RF hit with the beltpack up too loud, there is serious danger of hearing damage.  this is a problem I have personally experienced and it is very painful.

So, in summary.  Preset limiters on beltpacks/headphone amps = bad.  Adjustable limiters on transmitter/headphone amp input = good.

I agree, although I also see Tim's point. I don't like the musicians to feel like they can just turn off the limiter whenever they feel like it because they want it louder. I'd rather they complain to me about it and I figure out a way to fix their mix (hopefully without even increasing the volume) or if absolutely necessary, adjust the limiter. The Sennheiser EW300 G3 IEM transmitter is good for this because you have to adjust the limiter on the transmitter which involves digging into the menu.
There are three things I hate: Harsh highs, hollow mids, and woofy bass.

chris harwood

« Reply #58 on: February 19, 2013, 07:04:03 PM »

watch a prima-donna guitar player squirm trying to get an IEM out during one of his noodling yngvie moments.... 8)
Although I know the above is said in jest... actually just shut them off instead..  Otherwise if it'd been me, they'd be pulling a flying V out of their throat, shoved in neck first.  ..  Now...that's rude!!  carry on !!  ;-D

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #59 on: February 20, 2013, 01:41:07 PM »

Rude is a bunch of musicians on stage all playing different things at the same time at full bore, in a venue that has other things going on that the noise is disrupting. It's a two way street. We all have a job to do and when we can't get your attention in the normal way, sometimes you have to resort to unpractical manners.

I had a visiting engineer come in once and he directed me exactly how he wanted things set. I didn't touch a single knob that he didn't tell me to touch. One of the musicians came up to the mic and did something? Needless to say there was about the most unbelievable 2k squeal I have ever heard. I was standing near the board, so guess who gets yelled at. I was told that if I ever did that again he would shot me, he pointed his hand at me like a gun and made a gun like sound. I didn't do a single thing I wasn't told do by their engineer. Now that is rude.....
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #59 on: February 20, 2013, 01:41:07 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 24 queries.