ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Monitors for Band: IEMs or wedges  (Read 27907 times)

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
Re: Re: Monitors for Band: IEMs or wedges
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2013, 01:07:51 PM »

Sounds good, we'll be looking into getting some powered speakers for side washes and a drum wedge in the near future. Will those Alto coaxial 12s I mentioned in the first post work for the side wash and drum wedge? Should I get some tripod stands to put the side washes on? In our normal room I may be able to set them on those walls by the organ(on the right) and the piano(on the left) but when we play elsewhere we may need something to put them on.

Sent from my Milestone X using Tapatalk 2

Yes and yes.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
Re: Re: Re: Monitors for Band: IEMs or wedges
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2013, 04:11:42 PM »

Yes and yes.

Thanks for the help, we'll be getting some of those speakers soon. I'll also be working with everyone to get them to stay on their mics better. Do you think that with the side washes I'll be able to run enough electric guitar through them to get that amp off the stage?

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2013, 04:38:23 PM »

Thanks for the help, we'll be getting some of those speakers soon. I'll also be working with everyone to get them to stay on their mics better. Do you think that with the side washes I'll be able to run enough electric guitar through them to get that amp off the stage?

Keep the monitors for the vocals.  Use one of the small amps pointed across the stage for the guitar.  Either tilt it back a bit or set it on something 2 to 3 feet high.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
Re: Monitors for Band: IEMs or wedges
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2013, 05:14:03 PM »

The PA behind the band thing is more for those without monitors and who are not really all that loud to begin with. When you get down to the brass tacks, it's not much different than running a normal side wash monitor setup. In this method your killing two birds with one stone. It just has limitations. It requires cooperation between band members to work with it and keep things real. It is a good way in reality to know what you sound like as a band! You can really nail down levels and instrument tone. If you have a lot of low mid build up and you have a tough time getting the vocals to cut through it, you can tell pretty quickly what needs to be done. With only ( or predominately ) only vocals going through the PA you can also really nail that sound down. Not something commonly done, but is effective. I play in bands and do sound as a profession and have come across situations where this is absolutely the way to go. Think small venue, low levels and no need for monitoring.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
Monitors for Band: IEMs or wedges
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2013, 05:29:39 PM »

Keep the monitors for the vocals.  Use one of the small amps pointed across the stage for the guitar.  Either tilt it back a bit or set it on something 2 to 3 feet high.

Sounds like a plan, he's already been using his amp as a self monitor(Boss GT-6>DI>DI Parallel out to amp and DI balanced out to system) so we'll keep doing that.

Also, keys(mostly electronic piano) and acoustic guitar will have to go through the monitors. I doubt this will be a problem as the players for each also sing.(lead on keys and background on acoustic)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2013, 05:38:55 PM »

The PA behind the band thing is more for those without monitors and who are not really all that loud to begin with. When you get down to the brass tacks, it's not much different than running a normal side wash monitor setup. In this method your killing two birds with one stone. It just has limitations. It requires cooperation between band members to work with it and keep things real. It is a good way in reality to know what you sound like as a band! You can really nail down levels and instrument tone. If you have a lot of low mid build up and you have a tough time getting the vocals to cut through it, you can tell pretty quickly what needs to be done. With only ( or predominately ) only vocals going through the PA you can also really nail that sound down. Not something commonly done, but is effective. I play in bands and do sound as a profession and have come across situations where this is absolutely the way to go. Think small venue, low levels and no need for monitoring.

We play at a pretty small venue, but not at low levels. I'm almost positive we're too loud for this approach unless we are doing an acoustic set(like last week).

That said I'm sure it works well under the right conditions.

Scott Wagner

• Richmond, VA
Re: Re: Monitors for Band: IEMs or wedges
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2013, 09:33:23 AM »

Will those Alto coaxial 12s I mentioned in the first post work for the side wash and drum wedge?
They should work fine for side fills (ASSuming that the 70* conical pattern matches your needs).  As a drum wedge, you'll want to add a sub.
Scott Wagner
Big Nickel Audio

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2013, 09:51:35 AM »

As a drum wedge, you'll want to add a sub.

That is big stage/big venue technique.

Something is serious out of wack if the loudest acoustic source needs reinforcement in a smaller setting.
Jay Barracato

Scott Wagner

• Richmond, VA
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2013, 10:20:37 AM »

Something is serious out of wack if the loudest acoustic source needs reinforcement in a smaller setting.
It's more a comment on the Alto's tonality - they don't go very low.  A small sub driven at conservative levels works wonders, even on a small stage.  YMMV.  Overall, I've been pleasantly surprised with the Alto SXM112.  Nothing else comes close at this price point, and they need surprisingly little EQ to sound good.  The knobs are vunerable, so you'll want to be careful with them.  The finish (simple textured paint) isn't very durable.  Hey, you get what you pay for.  Sonically, you get a bit more.
Scott Wagner
Big Nickel Audio

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2013, 10:22:23 AM »

We do end up reinforcing the drums a little, mainly the kick to get some extra thump out of it(it is behind a wall also so the kick isn't very loud). Also on some songs the floor tom needs some reinforcement; we have the whole kit mic'd up for multitrack recording anyway so I can add what is needed easily. That said we never have to put any drums in any of the monitors as they tend to be too loud on stage(mostly just the cymbals and snare). 

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2013, 10:22:23 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 22 queries.