ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Recording  (Read 2885 times)

Jeff Saunders

Recording
« on: March 20, 2013, 03:07:03 PM »

Greetings from Kenya!
Our missionary boarding school has a sanctuary that we use for services, but also serves as our band and choir concert hall. The band and choir people would like a recording of there concerts but not have it go thru the main pa. I was thinking of suspending a Shure VP88 stereo mic or similar about half way back and sending it to a mic preamp and then maybe a dbx compressor/limiter before sending to a A/D converter so it could be recorded on laptop. I am looking for any suggestions you all might have on this.
Thanks!
Jeff

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
Re: Recording
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2013, 04:14:08 PM »

Greetings from Kenya!
Our missionary boarding school has a sanctuary that we use for services, but also serves as our band and choir concert hall. The band and choir people would like a recording of there concerts but not have it go thru the main pa. I was thinking of suspending a Shure VP88 stereo mic or similar about half way back and sending it to a mic preamp and then maybe a dbx compressor/limiter before sending to a A/D converter so it could be recorded on laptop. I am looking for any suggestions you all might have on this.
Thanks!
Jeff

I like to combine a stereo feed from the board delayed to the VP'er.  That way you'll get everything you need.  Mix the two stereo signals together and synchronize them with live, real-time delay and you'll be fine.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Matthew Donadio

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2013, 06:50:24 PM »

What runs though the board and what doesn't?  If you want to not record the house, then everything will need a mic.

Ideally, you would have the recorder on an aux so that you can fine tune the recoding mix as the house mix may not be ideal.  Or, you would use direct outs or a split to a multitrack.

I had decent results at a show over the holidays where there was a Rode NT-4 out in the pews (it was in my favorite seat) recording to two tracks, and the vocals (I think they were post EQ but pre EFX) going to another two tracks.  Not everything was miced, so this was the only way to record everything.  I didn't do the final mix, but the end result was good.

Also keep in mind that you may not necessarily have rights to reproduce anything that you record.  Performance of copyrighted material in worship has a special exception(?) in the US and Canada, and CCLI only covers reproducing the lyrics.  CDs, MP3s, etc, would require a mechanical license from the publisher.

Kent Thompson

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2013, 08:51:10 PM »

If your just recording for personal reasons, a stereo microphone should work fine somewhere just above and behind the conductor(if there is room. I would not want it against a wall. If not some experimenting might be in order to find a decent placement) A single large diaphragm microphone will work as well. Depending on the quality of recording needed a simple set up like that can work. I would suggest a large diaphragm microphone that you are able to switch patterns on. Just in case you want some rear rejection you could switch to cardioid.
 You may want to add a couple of outriggers to help give you a stereo image and maybe a spot microphone or 2 if you have some weaker things you need to record. Whatever microphone(s) you use make sure it has a very low noise floor and that all the equipment in the chain also has a low noise floor. Nothing like hiss killing an otherwise good recording...

I would not think you would need a compressor, maybe a limiter to make it where they can't clip the inputs. Almost all processing can be done in the recording software now. So a good clean preamp would be all I think you need. If you find one with limiters built in all the better.

There are a lot more experience people posting here but, I thought I would just throw out what has worked for me.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 10:54:19 PM by Kent Thompson »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2013, 08:51:10 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.017 seconds with 25 queries.